Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

In praise of Mojo pickups

What's Hot
JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1622
My best guitar is a Jeff Senn cabronita Tele with TV Jones Powertrons. A fortnight ago I was looking at my old Schecter Tele (a Townshend model made in Chandlers around the same time Pete was getting into them), which has had three different pickup sets in its time (the originals, then a Duncan set...a 59 and a custom custom, then some BKP Mules) and has never quite done it for me. After a recommendation on here I contacted Mojo to do me their version of Powertrons in a full humbucker size. Everything about the experience has been fantastic. The price, the packaging (amazing), the look of the pickups and, now they've been fitted, the sound. They are sublime, and have reinvented that Tele. Humbuckers with incredible clarity and power, which coil-tap beautifully. The guitar is now amazingly versatile. These Mojos are up there with the Powertrons, for me, but at a much lower price point (£120ish). I'm sure Oil City are fab too, and may give them a whirl before long for something else. But i cannot recommend Mojo highly enough. This probably sounds like an ad. It's not. i just wish to dish out praise where it's due.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12683
    I love Marc's pickups too. I have a set in my Jazzmaster (overwound bridge, standard black bobbin neck) but the latest set are in my Jaguar... The guitar came with a set of DiMarzios (a la Cobain - yuk) and I've gone for a set of his DeArmond "Silver Foil" pickups - these are single coils and replicas of the fable 'GoldFoil' pickups fitted to many Harmony, Silvertone and Airline guitars but in a humbucker sized case, with silver mesh tops. Achingly cool looking - and very interesting sounding... 

A crap iPhone snap for you.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    Wow, they look cool in that @impmann.

Mojo - Marc is a legend, end of :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • MojopickupsMojopickups Frets: 314
    tFB Trader
    Thank you!
    Very pleased you like them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4176
    Agreed - they rock!

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    Thank you!
    Very pleased you like them.
    and there is the man himself!

Good to see you here Marc
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 922

Yup, just put a set in Mustang (had a set put in for me more like).

It is/was a Kurt Cobain Model. I loved the playability over the '65 RI, but hated the JB bucker.

I am now properly in love.

Perfect Mustang sound.

http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/oo168/gusman2x/Guitars/2FED86B2-F005-4C18-97AB-DF8A09787BF3_zpsrpaftxxg.jpg

http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/oo168/gusman2x/Guitars/FFA8CB63-3E2E-47EA-8032-8B835A6544BB_zpsk2imzxxo.jpg

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • racefaceec90racefaceec90 Frets: 1006
    my guitar has a special edition mojo speedbump pickup fitted image

someone called jokychap sent it to me not long ago (bloody cheek of the man 
    ;)  even i can hear it sounds different to my s 420 ibanez pick ups (and my hearing is rubbish).

love the look of it also 
    :D
    i like cake :-) here's my youtube channel   https://www.youtube.com/user/racefaceec90 

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    I have three sets of mojos now

JM black bobbins with JMP90 bridge
    JM Grey bobbins with JMP90 bridge

Custom Jag singles. 

All are fantastic
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6399
    JookyChap said:
    Mojo - Marc is a legend, end of :)
    This.

Definite Legend.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    I've got a Mojo 'gimp' pickup up in my Jooky, kind of tele p90 hybrid and a set of Marc's paf type pickups both are excellent.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12434
    I've got a set of Marc's humbucker sized P90s in my SG. Bloody fantastic things. Agreed on the packaging too, a work of art in itself.
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3465
    Ordered an early 50s Telecaster bridge pickup from @MojoPickups after all the recommendations here.
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2899

WideRange in the neck. Just awesome.
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2899
    The GoldFoils are something else too.
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    The only problem with Mojos for me is the choice. Everytime I decide I want a simple HB, he starts talking about obscure and weirdly wonderful pickups, like Kay Speedbumps, and Gold Foils and gord knows what else, and I just have to try them. And to make matters worse they are always - always - amazing sounding. 

He did me some Mosrite style pickups for a Jazzmaster, and I love his normal Jazzmaster pickups, far and away the best I've played, but the Mosrites were just incredible. I swear he is just going out of his way to do my head in.

The boy is a genius, no snakeoil bullshit, just a fantastic attention to detail and ears like a bat when it comes down to nailing tones. His 'normal' pickups are just brilliant, but it's his knowledge of the obscure that I love most. If I was a recording guitarist I'd just have a line of guitars with all of his different pickups in them, as the range of tones is like a painter finding a new colour.

Right, where's my fanboi T Shirt, and a quick chorus of the Mojo Company Song before I take my medication.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31676
    I've had a total of (gulp) nine different pickups in my Les Paul in the last two years, but the Mojos finally nailed what I wanted to hear.

Special mention to Oil City too, for doing the same thing for my 335.
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Set of P90s in a Tele for me great sounding pick ups
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1622
    edited March 2015
    edit. Forgot i started this thread saying the same thing!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mark_jwedgemark_jwedge Frets: 318
    Agreed, I have recently put some mojo vintage PAF humbuckers in my LP and they are amazing at a great price and as has been said above, superb packaging!
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6399
    Vinatge Tele set in my Relic'd 50s job sound superb.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback