Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

In praise of Mojo pickups

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• impmann said:
    Well, @meltedbuzzbox changed his CS Jazzmaster pickups out for Mojo ones... nuff said. :-)
    Yes, I have been disowned on OSG but my guitar sounds much better and that is all that matters

I would get the overwound bridge as echo'd above. It levels out the pickups beautifully. 

And as it is well known if it's Mojo it will be awesome

These?

http://www.mojopickups.co.uk/product/jazzmaster-58-64-overwound-bridge/

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12683
    impmann said:
    Well, @meltedbuzzbox changed his CS Jazzmaster pickups out for Mojo ones... nuff said. :-)
    Yes, I have been disowned on OSG but my guitar sounds much better and that is all that matters

I would get the overwound bridge as echo'd above. It levels out the pickups beautifully. 

And as it is well known if it's Mojo it will be awesome

These?

http://www.mojopickups.co.uk/product/jazzmaster-58-64-overwound-bridge/

Probably - I ordered mine from Marc via an email exchange. :-)
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2899
    Despite loving the Bare Knuckle pickups in my Jaguar, at some point I'll be some Mojos to check em out. 
  • @BintyTwanger77  email Marc at Mojo and tell him what you are after.
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • I have the same set as @meltedbuzzbox in my AVRI. Tremendous they are too. 
  • I have the same set as @meltedbuzzbox in my AVRI. Tremendous they are too. 

I have asked about the same set, overwound bridge 58-64s, but just checking with him what the difference in tone/sound quality is between having Alnico 3 and Alnico 5 magnets.
  • The 3s (I believe) are a shade darker in voice. That's what swung it for me. 
  • They are softer on the treble I find. They get rid of that horrible clacky clunky alnico 5 fender pickups tend to suffer from, especially on 1k pots. 

Marc will tell you better than me. I just find them super clean and pretty sounding
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1391
    impmann said:
    How come? They're pretty chilled out over there...
  • bbill335 said:
    impmann said:
    How come? They're pretty chilled out over there...

It's not that bad but the fact I did make the change did not compute with many. 

And my refusal to get a spitfire guard. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm interested in a set of Mojos for my Jazzmaster but am after some advice, Basically I find the guitar too bright with 1Meg pots so have dropped them to 500k however it's now just a tad to dark. I have AVRI62 Jazzmaster pickups in it at the moment, what would be a slightly brighter pickup from Mojo I could get for it?
  • gordijigordiji Frets: 787
    I have the same set as @meltedbuzzbox in my AVRI. Tremendous they are too. 

I have asked about the same set, overwound bridge 58-64s, but just checking with him what the difference in tone/sound quality is between having Alnico 3 and Alnico 5 magnets.
    I've found single coil alnico 5 can be a bit sharp in the upper mids, highs. Had bareknuckles in my strat & tele. You get better twang in the low strings but can have too much bite in the high stings especially in a bright guitar. I bought a p90 alnico 3, bareknucle and loved the balance between softer attack without being flubby. From there i got some alnico 3 fenders for my tele which suited the guitar better for my tastes than the BK al 5. Then did the same with my strat putting in MOJO al 3 set replacing the BK al 5. 
    In short i prefer Al 3 for chime and roundness, the only loss being some snap in the bass strings. Also they seem to overdrive in a more pleasant way.
  • liftmanliftman Frets: 61
    Old thread but still, I totally agree Alnico 3 for bridge pickups.  Mojo one also replaced CS in a tele and then have Mojo overwound in Jazzmaster 65 RI.