1st Time Kit Build about to start, have some questions

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7045
    tFB Trader
    I put a cup hook in the end strap button hole and hang from that, like Gibson does.

That's why Gibson end strap buttons use a bigger screw for that button.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JGTayJGTay Frets: 210
    Like Steve says, from the end strap hole or you could do it from the machine head holes, which is what I had to do with the Flying V due to where the end strap button is located. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JGTayJGTay Frets: 210
    I have a big S hook that allowed me to use the machine head holes
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    I always wondered why the strap button holes were different sizes
  • CanoCano Frets: 21
    I put a cup hook in the end strap button hole and hang from that, like Gibson does.

That's why Gibson end strap buttons use a bigger screw for that button.
    Thanks, that's the route I'll go. I have some lighting and background stands for photography so I can make up a stable rig to hang it from.

Is there a particular size of hook I should look out for? I'm thinking mainly about teh thread size as I don't want to oversize that strap button hole too much - it's exactly the type of mistake I would make.
  • CanoCano Frets: 21
    Time for an update. The neck is glued in (probably not straight, we'll find out soon enough) and I've gone down the oil route rather than spray lacquer.  Two reasons for this. First, I just don't think I have a suitable space for spraying and the day I was going to order the lacquer our new neighbours arrived and started gutting the next door house. So dust everywhere, too much risk to spray outdoors. Second reason, there wasn't stock of the Clear Gloss on Steve's site when I was about to order - I'll save that for my next build.

So oil process has been a bit iffy. I applied 2 coats of Crimson penetrating oil to the whole guitar then 3 coats of High Build Oil over 3 days.

The finish was starting to get shiny and glossy but still rough and tacky/sticky to the touch so I decided to give the WezV method a go (to be fair, it's what Ben @ Crimson recommends too). It was a massive fail, removing the blue stain from the front of the body after about 20 seconds so I stopped. I was using Silverline 1200 grit W&D but I've come to the conclusion that the product is mislabelled. I've since get 1500 grit, 2000 and 2500 from Halfords and also checked out their 1200 while in store. All are infinitely smoother than the 1200 Silverline so I can only assume that paper is not right.

I've recovered the finish slightly, managing to get another coat of Royal Blue to take to most of the affected areas and have now applied another 5 coats of High Build since.

I now have a guitar that looks glossy BUT feels sticky and tacky all over. Is this normal at this stage?

I assume I need to fine sand with wet & dry now so my question is whether I should use water or oil on the paper? Will one result in a more abrasive process than the other?

I'm planning to use the 1500, 2000 and 2500, then depending on the feel I may attempt a couple of passes of Car Polish (either AutoGlym Super Resin Polish or the lightest cut Menzerna that I have in the bag), followed by a few coats of wax.

Also, I had a nice subtle blue/purple burst on the back before oiling. That's now just turned to black with the oil - bit disappointed about that.

The back, with a few tack cloth wipe marks.

The back before stain

• So, what happened?? I did a Coban kit recently and came looking for posts. I used crimson stains and bolt guitars uk gloss finish, it’s like a rubbed on finish and was good