[COMPLETED] Custom Explorer (Precision guitar kit)

What's Hot

Comments

• jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Scratch that, looked properly!!
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2379
    jd0272 said:
    I'm still waiting for a reply email @PVO_Dave but watching yours ;)
    That's very disappointing that you've not had a reply, before I'd paid Phil any money he was very fast to reply, not too bad after either, although I did have to chase at times. 
    PVO_Dave said:
    jd0272 said:
    I'm still waiting for a reply email @PVO_Dave but watching yours ;)
    That's very disappointing that you've not had a reply, before I'd paid Phil any money he was very fast to reply, not too bad after either, although I did have to chase at times. 

I'll give him another try next week. I've asked about varying the neck profile as I'd want a hefty '58 profile (even tho the reality is the originals are apparently nowhere near as big, but i like them chunky).
    I've now had to 'design' the rear cavity cover too, doubt it's a standard fit and even then finding an Explorer rear cover for reasonable money isn't easy.

Jacks Instrument Services have quoted me for the pick guard, should have it in a couple of weeks and the rear cavity cover too :)

If anyone else decides to do one of these, I'm more than happy to share the plans for the pick guard and rear cavity cover, save you the bother of trying to make them yourself.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    ^^^^^^^

Have a Wisdom for your generosity.
    Another very small update, the custom Trussrod cover from Rothko and Frost arrived, pretty cool, although being completely honest I'd have expected some of the rough edges to have been finished before it was posted, it also took a fair while to turn up.

• NiallmoNiallmo Frets: 467
    That's gonna look amazing, hopefully the hassle with be worthwhile in the end!
    Pickguard and backplate have arrived from Jacks Instrument Services, really impressed, firstly my plans were correct :D and secondly what an excellent job they (Kieran in this case), they actually gave me the backplate for free, as it was 'easy' :)

If anyone does decide to make one, I'll send you the JPG's :)

On the pick guard picture, it looks like there is a gap next to the neck pickup, that's just because it's not sitting flush, I either need to trim the height adjustment screws or drill some holes in the body.

I showed my guitar repair guy and got him to send me the price(s) to do the work. I need to have a sit down, once recovered I'll work out which bits I'll do to save some money and which I'll leave with him.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    After paying the Post Office £14.44 to release the headstock logos, I received them, smashed to pieces :(

They must have been booted around each sorting office, they were encased in wood FFS! I contacted the guy who made them, he's not seen them arrive in that state before, he's cutting me two more and sending them this weekend.

In the meantime, I glued them the best I could with superglue, I'm sure you can spot the breaks though

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ...........does it not add a certain amount of mojo....................................?

Yeah shipping firms are a talented bunch at times    :(
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    jd0272 said:
    ...........does it not add a certain amount of mojo....................................?

That's probably the line I'd have gone with if he hadn't offered to replace for free! Never mind.

Baby's due date is tomorrow, so I should know sometime in the next two weeks which one will be used :)
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5552
    Props for salvaging that from your Charles Manson logo.

What did you make from the other bits?
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    PVO_Dave said:
    jd0272 said:

That's probably the line I'd have gone with if he hadn't offered to replace for free! Never mind.

Baby's due date is tomorrow, so I should know sometime in the next two weeks which one will be used :)

Dude!!! Hellish day for you tomorrow or thereafter! Our last one was a home birth, on my bit of the sofa. Much less aggro than hospital tho.

Have a great one!
    jd0272 said:
    PVO_Dave said:
    jd0272 said:

Dude!!! Hellish day for you tomorrow or thereafter! Our last one was a home birth, on my bit of the sofa. Much less aggro than hospital tho.

Have a great one!
    Cheers, I'm working a rare night shift tonight after having been awake all day, hoping it stays cooking for a few more days :)
    Our three were all near enough on time, and they've been predictably accurate with naughty behaviour since  :(
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2351
    edited July 2014 tFB Trader
         If any ones about to order custom inlay work you don’t have to go over seas have a look at Small Wonder. Mikes the man his work is great and he’s a really nice guy. 

I’ve been using him for my MOP and Abalone dots, crowns, blocks and custom inlay work for over 20 years never had any thing turned up smashed.

http://www.smallwonder-music.co.uk/shop/default.asp?

Some of his work.

http://i1018.photobucket.com/albums/af305/grahamepollard/Mobile Uploads/4638938428_980b694c2c.jpg

http://i1018.photobucket.com/albums/af305/grahamepollard/Mobile Uploads/4638886732_21bc8cabdb.jpg

http://i1018.photobucket.com/albums/af305/grahamepollard/Mobile Uploads/4638942748_4879c56f22.jpg

http://i1018.photobucket.com/albums/af305/grahamepollard/Mobile Uploads/4638886586_e53395a36d.jpg

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ^^^^^
    Wow
    Wow indeed - Thanks Grahame, if I need anything else, he's the man!
    The headstock logo is chosen..

Chloe was born yesterday (on the due date!) weighing 7lb7 :)
    1reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2351
    tFB Trader
    Congratulations !!! =D>

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/