Replacing a GS Mini - What should I be looking for?

What's Hot
nanomannanoman Frets: 62
So, I have a Taylor GS Mini that looks and sounds great but i have never quite got on with the narrow neck and the string spacing, and it doesn't get played anywhere near enough as a result. What should I be looking for if I put it up for a trade?

I like the body size of the GS especially with the sound it produces. I wouldn't want to go too much bigger if at all. I guess ideally something similar body wise but with a wider fretboard. I quite like the thought of being able to plug in at some point so an electro-acoustic would definitely be considered.

Doesn't have to be too loud unplugged it will just be used for strumming along to stuff on the sofa.

Any ideas?

PS: I know this borders on a trade post and should maybe go in the classifieds but I really haven't touched any of my guitars in years (and haven't ventured out of off-topic as a result) so it's really just advice I'm looking for and not offers. If it's bending the rules, please move.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7418
    Martin 00-17 or 00-17S - small body, normal neck, makes the GS Mini sound like a plinky box 
    Red ones are better. 
  • nanomannanoman Frets: 62
    They look great but unfortunately there is no top up funds. It's what I can sell or trade the Taylor for. I'm guessing budget brands will be my only options...
  • RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1072
    Alvarez do a line in ‘parlour’ acoustics, all under £500 it seems. I haven’t played one, but I heard one being played and was impressed.  The lower bout is bigger than you’d expect, so they are probably more like a modified parlour shape, but they have that nice, punchy upper mid sound. 

GuitarGuitar do them. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7769
    Depending on the woods and condition your GS will be worth £350-£400

Not played one but Faith make a parlour in that price range though it may not quite sound as good.

For a bit cheaper: https://m.thomann.de/gb/recording_king_rps_9p_ts_plus_single_0.htm

The Faith Naked Series Venus looks quite nice. Maybe a bit bigger than the Mini but could work for me. I'll check out the Alvarez range as well.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9615
    Eastman do an all-solid GS Mini equivalent for about £350 - worth looking to see what the neck/nut specs are.
  • GTCGTC Frets: 263
    Eastman do an all-solid GS Mini equivalent for about £350 - worth looking to see what the neck/nut specs are.
    I've had an Eastman travel guitar and a GS Mini. The Eastman wins hands down - better tone and playability, all-solid woods, ebony fingerboard and terrific build quality. The £350 version is spruce/sapele without an electrics. I had the lefty spruce/ovangkol version with Fishman electrics which came in at around £500. Nut width is 1 11/16" with a 12" fretboard radius. I prefer wider fretboards but it felt very comfortable.

I also had a Faith Mercury parlour which I would say sits in between the two in terms of performance (i.e. better than the GS Mini).

I've had several Alvarez guitars. The earlier Masterworks ones were very good - but the later ones (particularly the all-Mahogany variants) were characterless.

Two which might be a bit above your budget - a Blueridge BR-341 (with wide 1 7/8" nut width)  and a Terry Pack PJRS parlour (1 3/4" nut width) - which is the finest short-scale parlour I've come across, better than instruments costing several times more
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7769
    GTC said:
    I've had an Eastman travel guitar and a GS Mini. The Eastman wins hands down - better tone and playability, all-solid woods, ebony fingerboard and terrific build quality. The £350 version is spruce/sapele without an electrics. I had the lefty spruce/ovangkol version with Fishman electrics which came in at around £500. Nut width is 1 11/16" with a 12" fretboard radius. I prefer wider fretboards but it felt very comfortable.

I also had a Faith Mercury parlour which I would say sits in between the two in terms of performance (i.e. better than the GS Mini).

I've had several Alvarez guitars. The earlier Masterworks ones were very good - but the later ones (particularly the all-Mahogany variants) were characterless.

Two which might be a bit above your budget - a Blueridge BR-341 (with wide 1 7/8" nut width)  and a Terry Pack PJRS parlour (1 3/4" nut width) - which is the finest short-scale parlour I've come across, better than instruments costing several times more
    Good post, I forgot about Blueridge guitars, they make good stuff. Not played a bad Eastman yet but never tried an OM or smaller in person.
    edited July 2020
    Thanks guys. Funnily enough I was just checking out some Eastman vids on RGuitars Youtube channel

[Edit] I do like the 'Classic' finish that they have as well. I know it's just a stain but love a slightly darker, matt look. Nut width on the travel guitar appears to be identical to the GS Mini though. Maybe the PCH1-OM would suit me better.
    GTC said:

The Blueridge and the Terry Pack are indeed out of budget, as lovely as they are.

I'm starting to err towards small body full scale guitars (with electrics as a nice to have but not essential by any means)

• fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    Note Blueridge are one of twenty-odd brands made in China by Saga Musical Instruments.
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    Guild M240E/240 Troubadour

Simon and Patrick Trek Natural Folk

Art and Lutherie Roadhouse Parlour. 

There are a number of Breedlove models that might suit your needs. 

I'm not specifically recommending them, it's just that they are brands that sometimes fly under the radar and may be worth a look. 
  • RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1072
    @kilgore Great shout on the Guilds. The 140 and 240 look great. The one known colloquially in pickers’ circles as the ‘Nick Drake’ guitar always looked a beaut to my eyes. 

It was on my list to try when I was on the hunt for a small bodied acoustic but I found one hard to track down. 

I tried a couple of Blueridge 000 types a several years ago. Spruce tops and faux tortoisehell pickguards. Lovely things, but again the brand doesn’t crop up that often. 

It might be worth people mentioning specific shops where they know these and other ‘under the radar’ models are stocked. 
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5421
    +1 for Faith.
    I would also consider a second-hand Yamaha LS6. It's a bit of a deeper body despite having smaller dimensions all-around otherwise though, but they sound great for the price.
  • MonkeyboneMonkeybone Frets: 261
    nanoman said:
    The Faith Naked Series Venus looks quite nice. Maybe a bit bigger than the Mini but could work for me. I'll check out the Alvarez range as well.
    I part exchanged my GS Mini for a Faith Naked Venus, I couldn't be happier with it.

My band - Crimson on Silver  For sale - Blackstar HT-5S

Gear - Guitars, amps, effects and shizz. Edited for Phil_aka_Pip, who is allergic to big long lists.

edited July 2020
    Whitecat said:
    +1 for Faith.
    I would also consider a second-hand Yamaha LS6. It's a bit of a deeper body despite having smaller dimensions all-around otherwise though, but they sound great for the price.

I was hoping for a Yamaha recomendation. I've always liked the electric guitars of theirs that i've tried and had a bit of envy at the LL thread in this section of the forum. I think if I go up in size it maybe wouldn't be depth though.

[Edit] That LS6 ticks a lot of boxes. Something is not quite clicking with me though.
    nanoman said:
    I part exchanged my GS Mini for a Faith Naked Venus, I couldn't be happier with it.

If you don't mind me asking, what would the damage be on top of the part-ex? Mine is the vanilla GS mini in very good nick with padded gig-bag
  • MonkeyboneMonkeybone Frets: 261
    nanoman said:
    nanoman said:

If you don't mind me asking, what would the damage be on top of the part-ex? Mine is the vanilla GS mini in very good nick with padded gig-bag
    I actually can't remember, although I had upgraded the Taylor from being pure acoustic to having an LR Baggs Anthem SL pickup, so it wasn't a standard GS Mini.

My band - Crimson on Silver  For sale - Blackstar HT-5S

Gear - Guitars, amps, effects and shizz. Edited for Phil_aka_Pip, who is allergic to big long lists.

• danny_777danny_777 Frets: 660
    Brook. They are the absolute masters of small-bodied acoustic guitars. Pus everything is handmade in the UK.
    The Brooks are definitely out of my price range. Nice though