The dreaded day has come (hair loss)

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
Oh well, I've had a pretty good innings, the hair lasted until 57, but I can't deny the extreme thinning at the top/front now. I was going to record a guitar video for YouTube, but just looks too patchy under the lights! I dug around for a cap but that doesn't look right either. I've warned the Mrs for years that I would have to shave it off short when the time comes, but I'm apprehensive about that as well, mostly because my dear old mum would HATE it, but I also have a nagging feeling that it could look worse. 

Seems like a first world problem in the light of current affairs, but still somewhat bothering. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6391
    Tried Caffeine Shampoo/lotion ?   As my hair is greying it's going very thin (and receding) - think the Alpecin Liquid is delaying the inevitable a bit ....

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Don't let it stop you posting your music. Age gets the best of us in the end. Own your looks.
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • sw67sw67 Frets: 231
    Wife did mine at week 6 on lockdown. No 1 all over and not going back - mum hates it ;-)
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    axisus said:
    Oh well, I've had a pretty good innings, the hair lasted until 57, but I can't deny the extreme thinning at the top/front now. I was going to record a guitar video for YouTube, but just looks too patchy under the lights! I dug around for a cap but that doesn't look right either. I've warned the Mrs for years that I would have to shave it off short when the time comes, but I'm apprehensive about that as well, mostly because my dear old mum would HATE it, but I also have a nagging feeling that it could look worse. 

Seems like a first world problem in the light of current affairs, but still somewhat bothering. 
    Do it - shaving it will almost certainly look better, keeping the length short and regulated always looks better than the semi-balding look.

My mum hated it when I shaved my head, “you look like a thug, you’ll never get a decent job”.

That was over 20 years ago...
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • Tex MexicoTex Mexico Frets: 1196
    It's only hair. I considered lamenting my increasing forehead height, but then I remembered I'm pug-ugly anyway so it's not like the world's losing a George Clooney.

If it does bother you, I reckon tne number one might be the way forward.
  • Iamnobody said:
    My mum hated it when I shaved my head, “you look like a thug, you’ll never get a decent job”.

... and still no job???
    10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7197
    edited July 2020
    Iamnobody said:
    axisus said:

Do it - shaving it will almost certainly look better, keeping the length short and regulated always looks better than the semi-balding look.

And you’ve been working the doors ever since

Edit  - bugger Strat a tat beat me to it 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7109
    my uncle had success using an inversion bench and also the half an onion technique

one of them definitely worked but we just don't know which one
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12382
    Regaine works in some cases, but it can make the regrowth come up looking like pubes. Also if you stop using it, it all falls out again. Waste of good gas money IMO. 

I started losing my hair in my late 20s. It bothered me for a while but I got used to it and I certainly don’t give a toss these days. I was already bald when I met my wife 10 years ago and it doesn’t seem to have bothered her. 

Cut it short, don’t worry about it. Think of all that money you’ll save on combs. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Bye!

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31604
    I was lucky in that I had a number one cut for ten years before mine started thinning so I didn't have to make the dreaded change of style decision later on in life. 

Don't hide it with a hat though, some drunk will steal it one day and everyone will get a shock when they see your ostrich-egg-in-a-nest for the first time.
    :)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1563
    edited July 2020
    Started losing mine in my late teens so sadly I have way too much experience of this. Still managed to get a job, marry a gorgeous girl and my Mum likes it!

#1 all over your head, #2 on the stubble and you’re good to go!

Im not a fan of the wet shaved head look, or my face without some stubble/short beard. I have to grow something somewhere after all.
  • I've been receding and thinning at the front for the last 10 years (I'm 33) and went for a number 3 all over 6 weeks in to lockdown! I was dreading it but it was the most liberating thing I've done ages and it made me realise how much I was trying to hold on to my hair and how much of a pratt I looked!

Your results may vary!!! 
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3053
    I'm 33 and noticed last year that my hair is just starting to get thinner. So I cut my long hair (tit length) to what's basically a short back and sides. Looks much better but the time will come that my hair will get even thinner. At that point, full blown shave on my nogging. 

I used to get stupid with being adamant about not cutting my long hair but honestly, it's no big deal.
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3067
    edited July 2020
    Count yourself lucky.   Mine started to fall out when I was in my early twenties.  My lad, who’s nineteen and has very long, heavy metal hair has started receding already.  

Genetics suck big fat balls. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    Your talent will outshine all surfaces !....light from the front and up light slightly ..things will look a whole lot better 

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10414
    I'm 51 and my hair won't stop growing, needs cutting every 3 weeks which is fine normally but I haven't been able to go and get it cut. The wife had a hack at it a couple of times which helped a bit but not much. I've managed to get an appointment this Wednesday at the hairdressers so should be back tomorrow. 

Sadly there's no market for thick black curly hair that looks like pubes, otherwise I would be raking it in. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5002
    I had a trim last week and now my hair is only waist length...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994
    shaved mine since 23 due to the drastically receded top line. 
    let it go. 
    grow a big beard instead. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • If I lose mine I'm screwed. Haven't been able to grow a beard since I had a right orchiectomy ten years back. 
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'