Your favourite guitar work from someone hired as guitar player for an album?

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
I was a big SRV fan, I discovered him via Sounds music rag in '83, bought his debut album and loved it. He was my fave guitarist for many years. Very soon after I saw another sounds interview talking in depth about his playing on Bowie's Let's Dance album. I had never bought a Bowie album in my life but I got that one and loved it, the guitar solos were fabulous!

The other one that I loved (but haven't heard now for decades) was the PiL album with Vai. An amazing choice from Lydon, I would never have guessed he would do that in a million years! Another band that I never thought I'd buy an album from.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• camfcamf Frets: 1191
    edited July 2020
    Nils Lofgren on Neil Young's "Tonight's the Night". Still my favourite album over 40 years after hearing it. I don't even like the guitar tone he has on it, but its jarring presence and great playing really added to the whole album.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    Hard to beat SRV on that album but up there with him is Fripp's playing on Scary Monsters.

Recall him saying in an interview that he had been 'spraying burning guitar over Bowie's new album'.

Never has playing been so accurately described. Brilliant.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • GrangousierGrangousier Frets: 2643
    Jeff Beck on Roger Waters' Amused to Death. Hiring Beck and Clapton were possibly the most flamboyant fuck yous to David Gilmour in a career that seems to have been heavy on fuck yous to David Gilmour. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • SRichSRich Frets: 763
    Doesn't get any better than Larry Carlton on "The Royal Scam"..........................YMMV

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
    There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have" 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    4 posts in and already a bunch of albums I want to hear!
  • cm01cm01 Frets: 458
    Robert Quine on Lloyd Cole’s ‘X’ ... lovely shimmering tones and some beautiful playing ... and Neil Taylor on Tears for Fears ‘Songs from the Big Chair’ - again, great playing and tones 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16298
    axisus said:
    I was a big SRV fan, I discovered him via Sounds music rag in '83, bought his debut album and loved it. He was my fave guitarist for many years. Very soon after I saw another sounds interview talking in depth about his playing on Bowie's Let's Dance album. I had never bought a Bowie album in my life but I got that one and loved it, the guitar solos were fabulous!

The other one that I loved (but haven't heard now for decades) was the PiL album with Vai. An amazing choice from Lydon, I would never have guessed he would do that in a million years! Another band that I never thought I'd buy an album from.
    Album has a line up that looks like a jazz fusion supergroup yet without sounding at all like that. Bill Laswell ( co-producer, most of the bass) on credits often a sign that something interesting is occurring. 

Hattigol said:
    Hard to beat SRV on that album but up there with him is Fripp's playing on Scary Monsters.

Recall him saying in an interview that he had been 'spraying burning guitar over Bowie's new album'.

Never has playing been so accurately described. Brilliant.
    I was thinking Fripp, not someone who interests me in terms of his own projects but with Bowie and David Sylvian some of my favourite sounds. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2198
    edited July 2020
    SRich said:
    Doesn't get any better than Larry Carlton on "The Royal Scam"..........................YMMV

Yes that one takes some beating. Larry Carlton has been great on numerous sessions.

Steve Lukather is another player that springs to mind on numerous albums.

It's not a competition.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7785
    Johnny Marr on Modest Mouse's We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23004
    edited July 2020
    cm01 said:
    Robert Quine on Lloyd Cole’s ‘X’ ... lovely shimmering tones and some beautiful playing …
    Reminds me of Robert Quine, Ivan Julian and Richard Lloyd contributing to Matthew Sweet's albums Girlfriend, Altered Beast and others.  Lloyd Cole himself makes at least one appearance too.  I can't remember exactly who features on what, but all Sweet's albums from that period are great - pop music but with really cool, gnarly, interesting guitars.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • camfcamf Frets: 1191
    Johnny Marr on Modest Mouse's We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank

Yes! Good call. 
  • zedhexzedhex Frets: 191
    edited July 2020
    Wayne Perkins on "Hand of Fate" and "Worried 'bout You" on the rolling stones Black and Blue album. Also, Ray Crawford's guitar solo on Tom Waits "Blue Valentines"
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7210
    Some great suggestions but as a huge Bowie fan I've got to go with SRV on Lets Dance  (apparently Bowie nicked him from under the noses of The Stones at the time).  The solo on China Girl is one of my favourites of all time - monster tone
    edited July 2020

Speaking of SRV, I own this album:

Don Johnson - Heartbeat - Epic - 450103 2 Epic - EPC 450103 2

Yes, it is that Don Johnson.  Featured guitarists include Stevie Ray Vaughan, Dickey Betts, Ronnie Wood and Dweezil Zappa.

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    Philly_Q said:

Speaking of SRV, I own this album:

Don Johnson - Heartbeat - Epic - 450103 2 Epic - EPC 450103 2

Yes, it is that Don Johnson.  Featured guitarists include Stevie Ray Vaughan, Dickey Betts, Ronnie Wood and Dweezil Zappa.

Yeah, I bought that being an SRV fanboy! Can't remember, he plays on one or two tracks?
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17648
    tFB Trader
    Always enjoyed Slash's contribution to Mama Said by Lenny Kravitz though it's only two songs.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30931
    • Earl Slick on Station to Station.
    • Glenn Tilbrook on Look Now (Costello Album)
    • SRV on Let's Dance

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

edited July 2020

@axisus I just went and dug out the Don Johnson LP... it's got these irritating little cartoon drawings to show who played on what track, they're a bit hard on my eyes!  Looks like SRV plays solos on two tracks and Dweezil on one.

Wikipedia tells me there's a reissue CD with six bonus tracks.  I'd hazard a guess that they don't feature celebrity guest musicians.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I've also got a mini-album by Adrian Zmed out of TJ Hooker.  It's got Rick Derringer and Edgar Winter on it.

• breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10308

Vini Reilly on Viva Hate by Morrissey, especially the franticness of his playing on I Don't Mind If You Forget Me. 

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72494
    axisus said:

SRV... on Bowie's Let's Dance album.
    axisus said:

the PiL album with Vai.
    Jeff Beck on Roger Waters' Amused to Death.
    cm01 said:
    Robert Quine on Lloyd Cole’s ‘X’
    All these. I'm not even a huge fan of Beck normally, but Amused To Death is fantastic. And not forgetting Nile Rodgers on Let's Dance as well...

I'll nominate an unusual one - Richard Hawley on A Girl Called Eddy (Erin Moran), self-titled album.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein