Wanted - Your Explorer Thoughts

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22966
    PhilKing said:
    In the 80's I had a Jaydee Explorer and a Datsun 280ZX.  The case fit only becasue there were no back seats in the car, but when I upgraded to a 2.8i Capri [not a great upgrade tbh], it wouldn't fit and so I traded it for a used Hamer Sunburst (which I still have).
    The Explorer or the Capri?  ;)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    edited July 2020
    The Chapman Ghost fret, not a real ghost fret, and not as nice looking as the mkii run they did. 
    If you can accept the brand name, this piece of British designed history can be yours.. 
    GREEEEEEETINGZ.

Slightly more modern in appointment is the Schecter E-1 sls elite series. 
    Nice finishes if you like boring as fuck: black or natural.

Again by Schecter is the E-1 Fr S.. special run.. I seriously considered.. and maybe still do.. 
    Gloss finished and a satin neck.. 
    Its fucking purple with carbon fibre binding.. 
    Its the Lamborghini of guitars and is certain to get you laid.. 

But seriously now.. next up I give to you the WIP which was designed and fabricated by the creators who brought you Pingu. 
    Noot noot motherfucker: 

But if that doesnt get your nips hard then perhaps my final offering. 

Explorers are not long enough I hear you cry.
    Well Chibson have got your back.
    The explorer extended edition featuring a removable ‘leaf’ insert system that perfectly slots into place. You’d never even know it was there..

But whilst we are all here talking explorers. 
    Can I interest any of you fine Djentlemen in a 2015 Ltd 360? 
    £250 based in Essex

Its got at least £6 of Duracell 9v in it but I’m giving it away FREE with the guitar. 

Its in the classifieds near another explorer thats like £3000 but that ones based in fantasy island.
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    The epiphone ones are really good. I would buy one! I have a Gibson faded one, though. Really light, and very comfortable to play , whether sat or standing up. 
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8031
    edited July 2020

My favourite Gibson shape...

At various price-points, also consider:
    • Vintage MIJ: Ibanez (both in terms of mid-70's 2459 Destroyer direct copies and the later DT Destroyer series), Aria Pro II, Orville, Burny, etc
    • JayDee
    • Pete Back
    • Epiphone
    • Gordon Smith
    • Hamer
    • Blahblahblah...

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • chris45chris45 Frets: 221
    Redlester said:
    Do Ibanez still do the Dstroyer model? Guitar of choice for Phil Collen among others at one time, I seem to recall. 
    The Ibanez Destroyer II DT555 was Phil Collen's guitar of choice up to and including Pyromania and would be one of my 80s nostalgia guitars... Ibanez have periodically reissued guitars under the Destroyer name and they are nice guitars although the early 2000 versions are a bit nu metal for my taste.  I don't think they've brought any out for the last 5 years or so but they keep making comebacks:
    http://www.thedestroyerguy.com/#sixstr
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5517
    Go with a burst! Go acoustic!

https://i.imgur.com/jqJ4ziw.jpg

2reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3990
    There were a couple of Lag Phil Campbell S3000s listed on Reverb this week but they've already gone.

Appealed to me because 24 frets and 25.5 inch scale as well as flamey goodness.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8494
    I love mine, it's just a bog standard 2008 Gibson IIRC, one of the thinner necks. Just a very comfortable shape to play, as angular as it seems it sits very well against me. It's a very resonant guitar, you feel the body vibrating under chords and it has a big low end and low mid thing going on.

I think in a way it's a shame it's quite often seen as a "metal" guitar, because I look at it as having a very '50s American surf culture aesthetic going on.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    My only thought on these is that if I had one, I would call it Dora.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1481
    Philly_Q said:
    PhilKing said:
    In the 80's I had a Jaydee Explorer and a Datsun 280ZX.  The case fit only becasue there were no back seats in the car, but when I upgraded to a 2.8i Capri [not a great upgrade tbh], it wouldn't fit and so I traded it for a used Hamer Sunburst (which I still have).
    The Explorer or the Capri?  ;)
    The Capri - would lift the inside rear wheel on sharp corners.  It was fast though but the 280ZX was better all round, apart from the body was thin and was starting to rust.  I only had the Capri about 8 months and traded it on an Opel Manta.
  • AdeyAdey Frets: 2280
    Ah. I had a lovely Opel Manta GTE. Some maggot stole it though

I'd rather have a ZX though, but a 260 or 240 please....
  • funhousefunhouse Frets: 124
    Late 70s/early 80s Dean Z. Stunning guitars and they're strung through the body, which I think makes a difference.
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4176
    Adey said:

I had a couple of Mantas, absolutely loved them :+1:
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22966
    I remember when my brother started work many years ago he had a colleague who owned a Manta, it had one of those tinted sunshade strips across the top of the windscreen saying "Manta Magic".
  • warheadwarhead Frets: 97
    Adey said:

I had a couple of Mantas, absolutely loved them :+1:
    I had a Manta myself. An 1983. GTE 2.0. It was the last year they were making them. Loved the car.
    Have never had an Explorer, even if it is one of my fave shapes, but will be getting one asap.
    The problem is....I want it to be a Gibson, but...I know that Gibsons are not necessarily the best, we are not living in stone age anymore. So, even if I am well aware of the fact, I'd still want it to be a Gibson.
    Guess I'd need a visit to a mental institution  :-)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom