Should I get an Axe FX III or an amp-switcher and loadbox+IR loader combo?

What's Hot

Comments

• UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12906
    Not familiar with any of them but I strongly suspect that having tried to get on with an AxeFX twice you're unlikely to enjoy a third one unless they've made seriously radical changes. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • They have made some big changes, to be fair. Whether you'll like them or not is another matter. In the short time I had it, I didn't, but often wonder what a few more weeks with it would have done for my tweaking and tones.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • DanRDanR Frets: 1041
    Currently I’m sat with 3 heads and Waza TAE and just unplug as needed but I am conscious at some point I may make a mistake.

The choice for an amp switcher seem to be ampete if you need more than 2 heads switchable and at £1300 it’s not cheap.

That and one of the posh load boxes is gonna cost you £2000 with Suhr and Torpedo to £2500 with Ox and TAE.

So it’s a big chunk of change but will add a big safety net and some workflow advantages.
  • DanR said
    Currently I’m sat with 3 heads and Waza TAE and just unplug as needed but I am conscious at some point I may make a mistake.

The choice for an amp switcher seem to be ampete if you need more than 2 heads switchable and at £1300 it’s not cheap.

That and one of the posh load boxes is gonna cost you £2000 with Suhr and Torpedo to £2500 with Ox and TAE.

So it’s a big chunk of change but will add a big safety net and some workflow advantages.
    I'm the same, 3 heads and have foolishly made that mistake a couple of times, but it's been okay, thankfully. KHE do a 4 amp and 2 cab mini switcher.

I'm saving for one.

• DanR said

I'm the same, 3 heads and have foolishly made that mistake a couple of times, but it's been okay, thankfully. KHE do a 4 amp and 2 cab mini switcher.

I'm saving for one.
    That's the one I am looking at.

Bye!

DanR said

I'm saving for one.
    That looks good value at £600.
  • DanR said:
    DanR said

I'm saving for one.
    That looks good value at £600.
    Yeah, it looks great. I semi-know the guy who makes them. So what you'd do is connect a loadbox to cab output 1, and whichever amp is active gets connected to the loadbox, and the other amps get connected to the internal resistor loads. You could also connect a real cab at the same time and monitor through a cab whilst recording through a loadbox. Pretty swish.

Bye!

The one up has a built in loop for a TAE or OX and midi so not sure if that’s “better” for another £150.

Or if I’m over thinking everything.
  • You can't do two amps at once with the KHE switcher, which is a bit of a shame.

Bye!

• ljsljs Frets: 56
    I was in the same boat - had a kemper twice, sold it twice. Now using torpedo reload or Ox with this amp switcher
    https://www.kahayan.es/selector-8x4
    Midi version has an extra slot which allows you to plug your attenuator / ox between all the amps and all the cabs, which I find really useful!
    Fuck it ordered one.
  • DanR said:
    Fuck it ordered one.
    Ooo saucy!

I'm not gonna be able to make this decision until mid-August. But I am leaning towards the 4x2 KHE switcher and a CaptorX.

Bye!

• Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3471
    edited July 2020
    DanR said:
    Fuck it ordered one.
    Nice one, @DanR ;;, no fucking about! I'm jealous!!! I want. I am interested to hear how long it takes to get to you and what you think!

No import duties from Switzerland, no?

I think it's a big piece of the puzzle for my rig and am eager to get one!
    DanR said:
    Fuck it ordered one.
    Ooo saucy!

I'm not gonna be able to make this decision until mid-August. But I am leaning towards the 4x2 KHE switcher and a CaptorX.
    Nice, that'll be a cool setup, mate! The Captor X looks like a lovely bit of kit.

@Jonathanthomas83 its been posted already and I’m assuming import duties unfortunately.
  • DanR said:
    @Jonathanthomas83 its been posted already and I’m assuming import duties unfortunately.
    That's a shame. Hope you don't get stung too much mate.

• @DanR ; what amps are you running? That's the most exciting thing about this and I forgot to ask!

edited July 2020
    @Jonathanthomas83 ;;

PT20
    SLO30
    Superkraken

So erm lots of gain.

I will at some point be getting a Rockerverb aswell.
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994
    Do you have to swap around anything that would be in the FX loop? 
    There doesn't seem to be an insert point for it . 

• DanR said:
    @Jonathanthomas83 ;;

PT20
    SLO30
    Superkraken

So erm lots of gain.

I will at some point be getting a Rockerverb aswell.
    Nice selection there, I'm seriously considering a new SLO too. Sounds class.
    sgosden said:
    Do you have to swap around anything that would be in the FX loop? 
    There doesn't seem to be an insert point for it .
    Personally, I don't use anything in the loop on any of my amps as I put any delays and reverbs after my cab. However, the larger KHE switchers account for the FX loop if you need them to, a bit more spend though.

I can’t remember last I plugged something into my loop.

Delay and reverb into the front as I like the sound that way.

Everything gets run through my WAZA TAE which has a reverb on it and I only use that when I use headphones but most of the big attenuators have a loop in them.