Hardtail Strat (Mustang) bitsa project - Frets are in!

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    DrBob said:
    I love how what started out as GAS for a Kramer Jersey Star has mutated into a 3 Humbucker Mustang, which by the way is so much the cooler guitar. Any chance of a vid of you playing Bad Medicine or Runaway on it ?
    Hey let’s not get carried away, a Kramer jersey star is infinitely cool
    Yeah, you’re right, I was getting a bit caught up in the moment !
    Although that said I do prefer that body shape in paired with a single,slanted bridge Humbucker and the bigger, rounder “hockey stick” headstock in “1984” spec
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    edited August 2020
    Got a bit of spare time today, and wasted a significant part of it searching for the collet and nut for my Dremel.
    I removed the flexdrive and its driver, then couldn’t for the life of me remember where I put the collet and nut.....I had the shed out, the guitar bits boxes out, I cursed and swore, then logged on to order new, when I realised the collet and nut were on the other end of the flexdrive, my how I laughed!......
    Anyroadup I scored round the stars with a scalpel and went at it with the Dremel router with a .8mm bit, didn't go exactly to plan, it got away from me a bit on occasion, followed the grain and the routs are much larger than I hoped, however I’m still sharing a photo so we can see what happens when epoxy and sawdust mixed is thrown into the equation, it might be ok, it might be a disaster! On the plus side I didn't break the tiny little bit...
    Fingers crossed!

Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• MattNovakMattNovak Frets: 907
    Looks great @paulnb57 ! The minimal stars would be cool without any other dots too.
    www.theflyingacesband.com
    You're too kind Matt! Agree it would be good without the rest of the dots, but the holes need filling and dots are easiest.....If it look terrible I have a plan so cunning, you could pin a tail on it and call it a Weasel
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3128
    Great job, @paulnb57 ; !  Doing stars are amongst the most difficult - these look great :)
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16733
    they will be fine.  You see much worse routing on factory inlays
    edited August 2020
    Great job, @paulnb57 ;; !  Doing stars are amongst the most difficult - these look great
    WezV said:
    they will be fine.  You see much worse routing on factory inlays
    Well, that fills me with hope, I thought they were terrible! Epoxy arrives Wednesday, it will be interesting to see how it goes...
    ...and the a new adventure, fretting!

edited August 2020
    Got a hour to spare this evening, so mixed slow set Araldite and Rosewood dust (thanks @Andy1515) and epoxied the stars and dots in...slowly moving forward....

Am hour in the sun, bloody hell it’s hot! and the fretboard, dots and stars are sanded, fret slots have been cleaned out with the Crimson fret saw....gotts say Im pretty happy with it for a first go at inlays!

edited August 2020
    Frets are in!

My engineers file is at our woods and I have to go to the North Island tomorrow to deliver our campervan to its new owner.....stopping over til Sinday, so no more progress until next week..I’m on a roll too!....Ill probably wick some thin superglue down the fretslots too...

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Looking good Paul! 
    MattNovak said:
    Looking good Paul! 
    Far better than I dared hope!

Its like an optical illusion - my brain ''auto completes'' the dots to stars. Oh, neck plate is in the post too - it was my 40th on Tuesday but normal service has now resumed :) 
    MattNovak said:
    Its like an optical illusion - my brain ''auto completes'' the dots to stars. Oh, neck plate is in the post too - it was my 40th on Tuesday but normal service has now resumed :) 
    Thanks and Happy Birthday!

A bit more progress, wicked superglue down the fret ends, filed the ends off, rounded the fret ends, levelled and polished.....
    Routed the body to a swimming pool, no photos as its a bit rough (I know why @Andy1515 hates routers as it got away from me on one occasion, so I have to fill a booboo....