Hardtail Strat (Mustang) bitsa project - Frets are in!

What's Hot
paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3082
edited August 2020 in Making & Modding
Some time back I put together a Hardtail Strat finished in an approximation of Graffiti Yellow.....Ive never really  gelled with it, so it's in bits and some part have been pirated for other projects....

Recently I had a mailshot from Andertons where there was a Kramer Jersey Star on offer, all Sambora inspired with star inlays up the neck, triple humbuckers etc, really tasteless, but I was smitten! Having sold a Fender Sambora Strat years ago and bitterly regretted it, I very nearly hit the buy now button....but I just held back.....I couldn’t really justify 800 beer tokens for an Indonesian guitar, blah blah....

So I was rummaging through parts having a bit of a sort out and I have an Allparts fat neck, that I modded to more of a vee, the yellow body, I still have a hardtail bridge and some tuners, but the neck has very small vintage frets, so Ive ordered some Jumbo fretwire and Im going to try a refret, then on a whim after chatting to the yoof, I googled Star neck inlays and yes, they are available and in the mail!
Also ordered a Dremel router base, and some tiny router bits, what could possibly go wrong?
Im going to pull the frets, inlay stars, strip the body back to the Korina, create a swimming pool rout, refinish, triple humbuckers etc....or make firewood! If I really cock the neck up I have the original modded Tele one, so it will be salvageable just without the inlays!

Drumming fingers waiting for parts!

Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 837
    Enjoy...!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3082
    jaymenon said:
    Enjoy...!
    Im sure I will have some “what the bloody hell am I doing this for” moments, having never done a refret or inlays, but at least the stars have straight edges and there will be a hole to start the router in, where the dot inlays were, I read @Andy1515 posts and watched that Uber annoying but hugely talented geezer at Crimson too...I’ll take my time with the inlays and see how it goes, every day is a learning day!
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• DrBobDrBob Frets: 3012
    I’m really looking forward to this one Paul !
    Theres actually another guitar Richie had around the same time as the Jersey Star, it was a White Superstrat type, reverse Fender headstock, Humbucker/Single config never found out what it was 
    DrBob said:
    I’m really looking forward to this one Paul !
    Theres actually another guitar Richie had around the same time as the Jersey Star, it was a White Superstrat type, reverse Fender headstock, Humbucker/Single config never found out what it was 
    Sambora seems to have had a lot of guitars often seen in just one song video, Im hoping to capture the spirit of them....inspired by.....

• sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    Sounds cool!  Watching with interest :)
    edited July 2020
    Fret nippers arrived, so I set to and removed the frets, which came out clean, then I wiggled the nut out, followed by centre punching each dot marker, drilling a 2mm hole in the centre of each, then screwed a screw in gave it a wiggle and out each popped!

Waiting for parts now, in the meantime Ill attack the neck with a Stanley blade and remove the Tru Oil finish..

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    The pearloid star inlays arrived today, which is great and a disaster!
    Up at the dusty end the 6mm hole left by the vacated dot is larger than the intended star inlay so would partially show...sigh!
    So, I have decided just to attempt a single star at the 5th fret mark and two at the twelvth

The eagle eyed amongst you might notice the body isn't a Strat...its the Coodercaster Mustang body, I have enough Strats so this will be a bit different, its 25.5 scale so will work.....there will be three humbuckers squeezed  in...just, I need to create a swimming pool route and there is a custom Mustang plate in the mail....

I took all the dots out and now have to replace them, oh how I laughed!...

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    But wait, I’m confused, that last iteration of the Coodecaster was glacial cool man !
    DrBob said:
    But wait, I’m confused, that last iteration of the Coodecaster was glacial cool man !
    And dusty! Never ever got used! Didn't really like it.
     The neck pickup, a P90 size Mojotron will go into a LP shaped object and the Mojo Lap Steel pickup will go into a Lap Steel somewhen in the future, Ive almost got enough parts for it....

I love how what started out as GAS for a Kramer Jersey Star has mutated into a 3 Humbucker Mustang, which by the way is so much the cooler guitar. Any chance of a vid of you playing Bad Medicine or Runaway on it ?
    DrBob said:
    I love how what started out as GAS for a Kramer Jersey Star has mutated into a 3 Humbucker Mustang, which by the way is so much the cooler guitar. Any chance of a vid of you playing Bad Medicine or Runaway on it ?
    If only I could Bob!...... :s

edited July 2020
    All the parts I need are here, just need time and weather....
    Oh and GAS got the better of me and I bought the Kramer!
    I will carry on with this though, as I have all the bits...

• CountryDaveCountryDave Frets: 859
    edited July 2020
    DrBob said:
    That one was used in a few of the Slippery When Wet videos.

My personal favourite was the single pickup, black strat with the reverse headstock (top right in the pic). I believe this was also made by Jackson, but ended up with a Kramer badge at some point.

@CountryDave yes man that black one is also very much my kind of thing !
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    That strat body is awesome!! 
    Jetfire said:
    That strat body is awesome!! 
    Which one?

• JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    The yella' one. 
    Jetfire said:
    The yella' one. 
    Just sold it!

• hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4220
    DrBob said:
    Hey let’s not get carried away, a Kramer jersey star is infinitely cool