English pronunciation

What's Hot

Comments

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    I worked with a bloke who used to say ‘penultimately’, when he meant ‘ultimately’. And ‘pacifically’ when he meant ‘specifically’. That, combined with his ‘haitch’ pronunciation really grated.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MattNovakMattNovak Frets: 907
    edited August 2020
    I think you'll find it's said ''pronounciation''

www.theflyingacesband.com
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • steveledzepsteveledzep Frets: 1174
    MattNovak said:

Incorrect.  I corrected the OP at the beginning of the thread.  A lot of people make the mistake.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    MattNovak said:

Actually, the bloke in question probably did say it like that!

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11296
    edited August 2020
    You have to wonder why this happens when the state provides education for all. 

I've not come across this with people who were educated privately. They can still talk utter bollocks, but it's beautifully enunciated bollocks. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10694
    MattNovak said:

Incorrect.  I corrected the OP at the beginning of the thread.  A lot of people make the mistake.

I never do - I have NO IDEA why I wrote it wrongly TWICE! Having corrected billions of people in the past, too! Oh, please, do call me Viz - I insist! “The OP” is so formal. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    viz said:
    MattNovak said:

I never do - I have NO IDEA why I wrote it wrongly TWICE! Having corrected billions of people in the past, too! Oh, please, do call me Viz - I insist! “The OP” is so formal. 
    Cheers Viz.  I've refrained from getting involved in this discussion as I'm pedantic where incorrect pronunciation, spelling and grammar are concerned.  I'd make myself very unpopular if I corrected every error I see on this forum.  I think most errors are caused by a combination of predictive text and/or being too quick to post without doing a proof read first.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18760
    viz said:
    MattNovak said:

Cheers Viz.  I've refrained from getting involved in this discussion as I'm pedantic where incorrect pronunciation, spelling and grammar are concerned.  I'd make myself very unpopular if I corrected every error I see on this forum.  I think most errors are caused by a combination of predictive text and/or being too quick to post without doing a proof read first.
    Do you mean a proofread ?  ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    viz said:
    MattNovak said:

Haha!  Gold star  :)
  • MattNovakMattNovak Frets: 907
    MattNovak said:

This was a joke, btw.
    www.theflyingacesband.com
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2630
    HAL9000 said:
    People who pronounce schedule as skedule. It’s the sonic equivalent of fingernails being scraped down the blackboard - ugh!
    Maybe you don't know what "sonic" means?
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9663
    Cranky said:
    HAL9000 said:
    People who pronounce schedule as skedule. It’s the sonic equivalent of fingernails being scraped down the blackboard - ugh!
    Maybe you don't know what "sonic" means?
    When I wrote it I suspected it wasn't the right word. I'm guessing it should have been aural or phonic. Happy to be corrected.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4982
    As has already been pointed out, the English language is constantly evolving.  It is hard to understand how words that end with 'ed' sound like ending with 'd'.  For example 'cook' becomes becomes 'cooked' yet is pronounced 'cookd'.  And there are hundreds of similar examples.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• vizviz Frets: 10694
    Rocker said:
    As has already been pointed out, the English language is constantly evolving.  It is hard to understand how words that end with 'ed' sound like ending with 'd'.  For example 'cook' becomes becomes 'cooked' yet is pronounced 'cookd'.  And there are hundreds of similar examples.
    That logic is crooked. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • HAL9000 said:
    scrumhalf said:
    gordiji said:

Your not alone. I still like whither, thither & whence :o

And pray what is wrong with hither?
    Do you still wend your way to the local hostelry to quaff ale?
    I sometimes find myself using "hither and yon" rather than "all over the place"... I'm not actually sure where I got that from!
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

viz said:
    MattNovak said:

Or in my case, not having reading glasses to hand. The wife moans like fuck when she sees me squinting.

• DLM said:
    merlin said:
    The term "awesome" to describe pizza or a song (or a guitar) really drives me up the wall.
    @merlin meet the truly awesome @thomasross20 :heart:

;)

Wor Tiggs might still overuse the word, but he really is. :love:
    Haha it's a damn good word!! :)
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18760
    viz said:
    MattNovak said:

Or in my case, not having reading glasses to hand. The wife moans like fuck when she sees me squinting.
    I read.
    The wife moans like fuck when she sees me squirting...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31590
    People who pronounce it 'Antartic'.  Just stop it.
    Nonsense, everyone knows an arctic is a lorry with a hinge in the middle. 

Actually that would work well for refrigerated lorries. :) 
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3453
    Accents play a huge role in pronunciation, however, how can you get draw and drawer mixed up? Or bought and brought? Fuck me, they are two entirely different words? 
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.