Gibson ES-335 alternatives?

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• Thanks to @Toms_Dad for selling me this rather wonderful Yamaha SA2200.  Now strung up with flatwound 12s, it's great.  The ES-339 didn't last long, so now up for sale in a bit to recoup my initial outlay!

IMG-3715
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Toms_DadToms_Dad Frets: 170
    Glad it’s worked out for you!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Toms_Dad said:
    Glad it’s worked out for you!
    It's really nice.  So playable!  Neck is possibly on the thin side for me, a touch, but it's not tiring like a Wizard neck or anything super-skinny.
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
  • Ibanez AS93 is great. Mahogany + maple top. Super 58 pickups (excellent low output, very clear with proper adjustment)
  • TrudeTrude Frets: 914
    edited August 2020
    I've always fancied a Guild Starfire double cut.  The new ones are very affordable (recently released SF1 is sub £600), it's a classic look and a revered brand.  What's not to like?

Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here
  • SteveFSteveF Frets: 539
    Pete.R said:
    It's hard to beat the japanese craftmanship, even more at the pricepoint...

FGN Masterfield Trio

Actually really like that headstock. 
  • Thanks to @Toms_Dad for selling me this rather wonderful Yamaha SA2200.  Now strung up with flatwound 12s, it's great.  The ES-339 didn't last long, so now up for sale in a bit to recoup my initial outlay!

IMG-3715
    Wish I had a dad like Tom's! 

That's very nice indeed. 
  • PonchoGregPonchoGreg Frets: 764
    Ibanez AS93 is great. Mahogany + maple top. Super 58 pickups (excellent low output, very clear with proper adjustment)
    I realise the OP has found what he was after, but just in case...

Along the lines of the AS93, I can also recommend the Ibanez JSM10 (the cheaper Scoffield sig)

Did an NGD when I got mine: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/159518/ngd-semi-hollow-goodness

Ended up selling it to buy a 335, but it was stunning. Super 58 pickups too, they are indeed very nice for a production Chinese guitar. Craftsmanship was top notch, with some truly impressive fretwork. Beautiful ebony board.

It's a wee bit slimmer than a 335 too, which can be a plus for some people.

I would probably look at other contenders at full RRP (just over a grand I think) but used for £500-600 it's a hell of a lot of guitar for the money
    Click here to see me butchering some classic solos!
  • LoFiLoFi Frets: 534
    The Eastman varnish finishes are not 100% perfect but they are hand applied and lightly aged. They also do gloss nitro if the varnish is not your thing. Personally I love the finish on my T59v, it feels really nice on the neck.
    I tried a T/59v the other day (in Amber - the violin finish with the spectacular top had been sold, but was still hanging up and looked amazing). I'm surprised by markj's comments about build quality, as I thought it was remarkably well-built, especially for the money (I'd certainly have put it up against a regular production 335).

In the end, I didn't get on with the neck (couldn't put my finger on why - just didn't feel right) but the sound and build were great. (I could have lived without the ageing of the finish and components - IMO, the same finish, but "new" would have been better).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom