Gibson ES-335 alternatives?

What's Hot

Comments

• BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2606
    edited August 2020
    Lebarque said:
    I've got to admit, the 336 and 339 just look squashed and wrong to me! Maybe they work better if you're short, since I view the 335 as a tall man's guitar.

I'm over 6 feet. They're slightly larger than a Les Paul or SG and  I can't remember anybody suggesting that these were too small.  To think that the 339 looks small you'd need to have internalised the idea that that particular type of guitar is "supposed to be" a particular size: in other words, be part of the minuscule minority of the population that fusses about the minutiae of guitar iconography. I've been asked several times whether my guitar is a 335 (to be fair I've also been asked whether it's a Les Paul: guitarists have a preposterously exaggerated sense of how much ordinary folk notice these things.  The people who asked these questions still know more than most).

Besides 335s themselves were an attempt to create a more practicable, smaller bodied alternative to the traditional archtop.  And yet smaller bodied versions of those have been around for a long time and have been played by several of my favourite players including Kurt Rosenwinkel, George Benson, Jon Herington and Eric Krasno - none of whom is short.

“To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23007
    edited August 2020
    Lebarque said:
    I've got to admit, the 336 and 339 just look squashed and wrong to me! Maybe they work better if you're short, since I view the 335 as a tall man's guitar.

I think you have a point, if you see a picture of a 336/339 next to a 335 it does look a bit strange.  But on its own it looks just fine.  Must be a trick of memory! 

I like my 336 a lot, although I'll admit @danishbacon is right about the cutaways being a bit cramped.  It's just something to get used to.

And yes I am short.  A 335 body is too big for me.

Just Bought a Gibson ES-336 Phish Discussion Topic on Phantasy Tour

ES 335 vs ES 339 body measurements - Electric Guitars - Harmony

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I might have just bought a 339... :o
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6394
    Hofne Verithin worth trying
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4726
    Some clips of my Sheraton II here at about the 6 min mark. 

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Fifty9Fifty9 Frets: 492
    Peerless hardtail
  • Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 1653
    Fifty9 said:
    Peerless hardtail
    That’s my other nickname. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • longjawlongjaw Frets: 423
    Ibanez AS200 Artist.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8733
    Well this vid came up on my YouTube ...
    It is  aimed more at the lower cost versions , which may or may not appeal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmXhPH_WjY4
    I was going to tag that video, but then I realised that it’s designed to score click through points, rather than present a balanced comparison
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • Toms_DadToms_Dad Frets: 170
    I have a Yamaha SA2200. In terms of build quality, it is a work of art. As others have said, the neck is on the slim side, but I have small hands and like it. It’s a personal choice. The pick ups are brighter, a bit hotter, but have coil taps which add versatility. 
    When I bought it, I also tried a Tokai semi, a smaller body Eastman semi, and a Gibson.
    The Tokai was also beautifully made, it looked just like the Gibson, but better finished. It sounded great.  It was, however, new and more expensive than the secondhand Yamaha, which affected my decision. I would have been happy with either. There was nothing wrong with the Gibson, but it didn’t quite do it for me and it was the most expensive by far. The Eastman was also well made, but the body was too small and it didn’t balance well for me.
  • Pete.RPete.R Frets: 396
    edited August 2020
    It's hard to beat the japanese craftmanship, even more at the pricepoint...

FGN Masterfield Trio

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2606
    Toms_Dad said:
    I have a Yamaha SA2200. In terms of build quality, it is a work of art. As others have said, the neck is on the slim side, but I have small hands and like it. It’s a personal choice. The pick ups are brighter, a bit hotter, but have coil taps which add versatility. 
    When I bought it, I also tried a Tokai semi, a smaller body Eastman semi, and a Gibson.
    The Tokai was also beautifully made, it looked just like the Gibson, but better finished. It sounded great.  It was, however, new and more expensive than the secondhand Yamaha, which affected my decision. I would have been happy with either. There was nothing wrong with the Gibson, but it didn’t quite do it for me and it was the most expensive by far. The Eastman was also well made, but the body was too small and it didn’t balance well for me.

My 339 and 336 both weigh a smidgen over 7lbs.  I've always really liked the look of the Yamaha semi-hollows, they look beautifully made and finished, and I like the idea of the coil tap, but any time I've shown an closer interest in one it's turned out to be heavier than I wanted it to be.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • AornicAornic Frets: 476
    I really, really like my Ibanez AS153. Lots of tonal options and beautifully constructed with a bone nut.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23007
    Toms_Dad said:

My 339 and 336 both weigh a smidgen over 7lbs.  I've always really liked the look of the Yamaha semi-hollows, they look beautifully made and finished, and I like the idea of the coil tap, but any time I've shown an closer interest in one it's turned out to be heavier than I wanted it to be.
    Yamaha make (or possibly used to make) a model called the SAS1500 which has a smaller body like the 336 and 339.  Unfortunately it's Japan only, but I've got close to buying one a few times.

Yamaha SAS1500 Violin Burst Handcrafted Japan Semi Hollow
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ellangusellangus Frets: 250
    edited August 2020
    Yamaha SA700. I had one a few years ago and really regret letting it go.
    Every bit as good if not better than any Gibson 335 I've played.

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/px200702359859003--yamaha-sa700-pre-owned
    Along with many others, I got Scammed by J Collingridge 'Award Winning' Photographer. Full details about his behaviour on this and other forums can be found on this thread. If you have been Scammed by J Collingridge 'Award Winning' Photographer, let us know and even if you haven't, putting a similar message in your own signature will help us warn others.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Regarding the Yamaha SA2200, are recommendations for older models (80s)? Are more recent one up to scratch?

My band, Red For Dissent
  • Regarding the Yamaha SA2200, are recommendations for older models (80s)? Are more recent one up to scratch?
    @Schozz - @Toms_Dad ;Do you know?

My band, Red For Dissent
  • Toms_DadToms_Dad Frets: 170
    Mine’s quite recent. Don’t know the exact year, but it still had the plastic on the pick guard when I bought it (secondhand). I just acquired a Gibson ES330 today, courtesy of the the estimable @DB1. ;It is my current favourite guitar of course. Lighter than the Yamaha amongst other differences. Might be prepared to let the Yamaha go if you’re interested.
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5025
    Glad you like it and I hope it makes up for me being an old tart about selling the ES-130.  Pleasure to meet you and your lad.

I've not owned an SA 2200 but have played a couple at Sound Affects in Ormskirk. As a used buy, I think they're great.

Call me Dave.
  • markvmarkv Frets: 460
    Regarding the Yamaha SA2200, are recommendations for older models (80s)? Are more recent one up to scratch?
    I wouldn't claim comprehensive knowledge but mine's from 2009 and it's really well made and a great player. Before I bought it a couple of years ago, I'd tried some in the Yamaha store in London and they couldn't be faulted either. Yamaha is well known for its consistency, particularly on the high end guitars. I don't think you'd have much to worry about with any SA from the last 40 years (notwithstanding ill treatment from previous owners, of course)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom