My quest for THE Guitar has ended successfully and unexpectedly

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Amigo said:
    :) It is an Eastman E8D-TC. Rosewood, I know. @WindmillGuitars will have something to say about that. And torrefied top. But I felt that I needed to try it, and I did, and I took it home with me.

I also tried a number of Martins in a few shops—piled up the mileage today, but I thought I’d better be in the car with the aircon on then at home, baking—including a D18 and I was underwhelmed. They don't seem to speak to me. I can see why people would like them, but not for me. Of others I tried, the E1D was close, but not quite there. The E2D DC was lovely to play and the sound was excellent, but the mids were completely missing in action. Taylors were oh-so-sparkly. On a whim I said "let’s try the E8D-TC" and I did. And I took it home.

There doesn't seem to be much online about E8D-TC. I also watched a comparison on YouTube between an E10D and an E10D-TC right before I went to the shop, and the -TC version was noticeably more open, it sounded brighter, so I said "then the E8D-TC probably not for me".

I will come back with a NGD when the light is better, but it sounds and feels beautifully, not to mention it looks stunning. I take great pleasure in playing it, and the fingers suddenly find their place on the fretboard very easily. The action initially was a bit odd, which they acknowledged and took it to be adjusted in the workshop, and they brought back my dream guitar. :)

More details to follow in the coming days, but a happy chappy here. 

I've been underwhelmed by almost all of the Martins I've tried. I know they invented the designs, but the world has moved on
    You really need to spend big money to get a good Martin, my 00028k authentic and my Ditson 111 are superb guitars but they were expensive. Martin really can't compete with Asia at the lower end of the market.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11901
    Amigo said:
    :) It is an Eastman E8D-TC. Rosewood, I know. @WindmillGuitars will have something to say about that. And torrefied top. But I felt that I needed to try it, and I did, and I took it home with me.

I also tried a number of Martins in a few shops—piled up the mileage today, but I thought I’d better be in the car with the aircon on then at home, baking—including a D18 and I was underwhelmed. They don't seem to speak to me. I can see why people would like them, but not for me. Of others I tried, the E1D was close, but not quite there. The E2D DC was lovely to play and the sound was excellent, but the mids were completely missing in action. Taylors were oh-so-sparkly. On a whim I said "let’s try the E8D-TC" and I did. And I took it home.

There doesn't seem to be much online about E8D-TC. I also watched a comparison on YouTube between an E10D and an E10D-TC right before I went to the shop, and the -TC version was noticeably more open, it sounded brighter, so I said "then the E8D-TC probably not for me".

I will come back with a NGD when the light is better, but it sounds and feels beautifully, not to mention it looks stunning. I take great pleasure in playing it, and the fingers suddenly find their place on the fretboard very easily. The action initially was a bit odd, which they acknowledged and took it to be adjusted in the workshop, and they brought back my dream guitar. :)

More details to follow in the coming days, but a happy chappy here. 

I've been underwhelmed by almost all of the Martins I've tried. I know they invented the designs, but the world has moved on
    You really need to spend big money to get a good Martin, my 00028k authentic and my Ditson 111 are superb guitars but they were expensive. Martin really can't compete with Asia at the lower end of the market.
    I went around the best used acoustic shop in the North west, and the Martin main dealer in London, and I couldn't find any Martin guitars for less than £10 or 12k that matched the £6k USA-built boutique guitars (Goodall, Santa cruz, Bourgeois), or Avalon and Lowden
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3590
    For better value and nice guitars that do the Martin thing I've been impressed with Atkin and Furch models. Both seem to have that well built lightweight thing and 'Oh that sound' for sensible money. Worth a look at a couple just to rule them out if nothing else.

• AmigoAmigo Frets: 119
    ESBlonde said:
    For better value and nice guitars that do the Martin thing I've been impressed with Atkin and Furch models. Both seem to have that well built lightweight thing and 'Oh that sound' for sensible money. Worth a look at a couple just to rule them out if nothing else.

There are quite a few good guitar builders, I find, with quality just as good as the big player, if not better, and with much better prices. I think that geography plays a role, especially in the current climate, and people will buy whatever the local shops stock. I would have loved to try other brands, but for me, in terms of value for money, I could not fault the Eastman. And it was available to try fairly locally :)
  • Congrats for finding 'the one'. I'm very pleased with the E1SS LTD and play it most days, so we're 2 happy Eastman owners.
  • AmigoAmigo Frets: 119
    Thank you, @riffbrother, I am happy that you enjoy it, as I certainly do enjoy mine very much!