The Teaching thread, tips on teaching

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• viz said:
    A mode for me is a scale but starting on a different note for each one.

I think the problem for some is, that the business about it starting on a different note can be confusing. All scales start on note 1. That’s why we should think of Dorian as a scale first and foremost, and coincidentally as modes of other scales second - well, that’s how I have always thought / taught. 

This. 

I've had this moan before, but people *always* overcomplicate this. 

Modes are just scales. That's it. 

The fact that the modes all "have the same notes in a different order" is just a nice novelty that helps you remember them / work them out easily. 

(this last point isn't strictly true, but its one for advanced learners to worry about rather than the 'trying to get my head round it to start with' beginners) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 744
    edited August 2020
    viz said:
    A mode for me is a scale but starting on a different note for each one.

I think the problem for some is, that the business about it starting on a different note can be confusing. All scales start on note 1. That’s why we should think of Dorian as a scale first and foremost, and coincidentally as modes of other scales second - well, that’s how I have always thought / taught. 

This. 

I've had this moan before, but people *always* overcomplicate this. 

Modes are just scales. That's it. 

The fact that the modes all "have the same notes in a different order" is just a nice novelty that helps you remember them / work them out easily. 

(this last point isn't strictly true, but its one for advanced learners to worry about rather than the 'trying to get my head round it to start with' beginners) 

Learning all the Scales (Modes) with the same starting note, as advocated on this forum by the wisest men, seems to be a good approach, this gets you away from thinking that the modes all "have the same notes in a different order".

Also, creating two distinct groups: minor third and Major third from the root is a good idea. This was also advocated by the wisest men on this forum. Usually @viz thanks.

C Aeolian
    C Dorian
    C Phrygian
    C Locrian

C Ionian
    C Lydian
    C Mixolydian

"Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom