Openreach what a bunch of Ar*&^*oles

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12365
    phil_b said:
    We had some issues few weeks back, disconnects from service with BT every hour or less. Openreach Engineer turns up and I suggest that the problem is a faulty card in the local kiosk. He does the usual line tests etc and eventually confirms that the problem is outside the house and spends the rest of the day chasing it from manhole to manhole up the road. By then several neighbours had wandered out and mentioned to him that they were having the same issue.

We used the 4G minihub for a few days and at one point there were 3 Openreach vans at the local green box and they were gathered around it in a huddle.

he popped back later that day to day that one of the cards in the kiosk was faulty and they were waiting foe the fibre team to get approval from BT to replace it!

Service resumed without further issue the next day.
    im a subcontractor engineer for openreach. And trust me proving a line is a tedious and frustrating activity. there is no magic switch as some customers belive. there is also nothing on the openreach network that is refered to as a kiosk so your sugestion was meaningless to the engineer.

being a customer is bad enough but try working for them

Genius. Hearing 'kiosk' used in the context of the problem & yet not being willing or able to interpret that to mean 'cabinet' or 'exchange'.
    No wonder people get pissed off...
    Hmm, I can sympathise with him though... how would you like someone telling you how to do your job, let alone using weird terminology while doing it? It’d be like someone turning up to a luthier with a problematic guitar and telling him “fix this. I know what the issue is, it’s the wangdoodle bar”. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3691
    boogieman said:
    phil_b said:
    We had some issues few weeks back, disconnects from service with BT every hour or less. Openreach Engineer turns up and I suggest that the problem is a faulty card in the local kiosk. He does the usual line tests etc and eventually confirms that the problem is outside the house and spends the rest of the day chasing it from manhole to manhole up the road. By then several neighbours had wandered out and mentioned to him that they were having the same issue.

We used the 4G minihub for a few days and at one point there were 3 Openreach vans at the local green box and they were gathered around it in a huddle.

he popped back later that day to day that one of the cards in the kiosk was faulty and they were waiting foe the fibre team to get approval from BT to replace it!

Service resumed without further issue the next day.
    im a subcontractor engineer for openreach. And trust me proving a line is a tedious and frustrating activity. there is no magic switch as some customers belive. there is also nothing on the openreach network that is refered to as a kiosk so your sugestion was meaningless to the engineer.

being a customer is bad enough but try working for them

Genius. Hearing 'kiosk' used in the context of the problem & yet not being willing or able to interpret that to mean 'cabinet' or 'exchange'.
    Hmm, I can sympathise with him though... how would you like someone telling you how to do your job, let alone using weird terminology while doing it? It’d be like someone turning up to a luthier with a problematic guitar and telling him “fix this. I know what the issue is, it’s the wangdoodle bar”. 
    Although as Douglas Adams (I think?) said it's now transformed the problem from a complex technical issue to a "mere problem of linguistics"  workout what wangdoodle bar means and you've got the problem solved. As bad as using weird terminology is people using relevant terms in the wrong context.
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4633
    There have been times in the past when I was with talk talk, where I had to take the engineer through the usage of traceroute and ping. The router was showing connected, yet I was unable to connect to anything, but traceroute showed a number of internal hops on the talk talk network.
  • phil_bphil_b Frets: 2010
    edited May 2021

cabinet and exchange are two different things that are miles apart but even if you know what the fault is knowing the problem and rectifing it are two very different things. often delays are caused because road closures are required or majoir civils works are involved or a hole host of other things that turn connecting two wires together into a major undertaking. but you are very smart so next time you have a problem im sure you could fix it yourself . As a sub contractor if I dont get it fixed I dont get paid so trust me when im out working im trying my very best to get it sorted.

customers get pissed off because somtimes they have unrealistic expectations. This mostly comes from the service providers making unrealistic promises. sometimes they get pissed of for good reason. buy mostly it is because people are so reliant on there internet connection for many things that they cant tolorate any down time what so ever.

Im not trying to defend openreach or any other company. but I know the last two years of doing this job have been the most miserable time in my life.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18769
    ^ @phil_b   Having endured a two year battle with Openreach in the past, I really do hear what you say about knowing the problem and rectifing it. Also I wasn't having a go at hardworking engineers like yourself & I hope things at work improve for you.
  • phil_bphil_b Frets: 2010
    ^ @phil_b   Having endured a two year battle with Openreach in the past, I really do hear what you say about knowing the problem and rectifing it. Also I wasn't having a go at hardworking engineers like yourself & I hope things at work improve for you.

Cheers. and please forgive the sarcasm in my comment

• vizviz Frets: 10696
    May I just say, I commend you for your gentle choice of insult. 

Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom