Steinberg interfaces and Native Helix bundle

Yamaha owns Steinberg and Line 6 and has announced a special bundle of a Steinberg audio interface (they are made by Yamaha) and Line 6's Helix Native. Should be available from October 1.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Very good idea!

Bye!

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Very good idea!

Obviously aimed at guitarists. Apparently there will be some other stuff included.

Now launched ... Steinberg Guitar pack

USB 3 audio interface
    Line 6 Helix
    Cubase for PC/Mac and iPad
    Guitar cable

• £379 at Andertons, that's cheaper than Native on its own isn't it?
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    £379 at Andertons, that's cheaper than Native on its own isn't it?

Yes, then add Cubase for PC/Mac and iPad and it's a good deal.

• Fretwired said:

Just seen it's Cubase Artist you get which is £300+ I think. Seems a very good deal really doesn't it.

I've had the Native trial a few times but never quite got it sounding better than my Digitech unit, probably mostly because I felt latency was too much (tried a few interfaces). Maybe the Steinberg would solve it as I already use Cubase and the Yamaha keyboard i have seems to work reasonably well with Cubase
    edited September 2020
    Fretwired said:

Just seen it's Cubase Artist you get which is £300+ I think. Seems a very good deal really doesn't it.

I've had the Native trial a few times but never quite got it sounding better than my Digitech unit, probably mostly because I felt latency was too much (tried a few interfaces). Maybe the Steinberg would solve it as I already use Cubase and the Yamaha keyboard i have seems to work reasonably well with Cubase

I have a UR22MK2 on my office system running Cubase. No latency and the drivers are rock solid. It uses Yamaha tech so everything is well built. The one in the deal is the newer version which is USB 3 - supposed to be much better than my unit.

I already have Native. I like the sounds but hate the interface .. :-)

• Fretwired said:
    Fretwired said:

I have a UR22MK2 on my office system running Cubase. No latency and the drivers are rock solid. It uses Yamaha tech so everything is well built. The one in the deal is the newer version which is USB 3 - supposed to be much better than my unit.

What is it you don't like with the interface then if it works well with Cubase and has no latency? Just out of interest
  • Fretwired said:
    Fretwired said:

What is it you don't like with the interface then if it works well with Cubase and has no latency? Just out of interest
    I think he meant the Helix Native user interface.

Bye!

Fretwired said:
    Fretwired said:

I like it very much - I have two of them plus a UR44 in my studio. The newer interfaces are USB 3 and have some other advantages and features.

I think he meant the Helix Native user interface.

Ah .. yes I did. I've got used to it but I like Amplitube 4 as you see amps and effects. I have a huge hi-res monitor so that's fine but I guess the Helix interface works better on laptops and with complex amp and FX chains.

• Ah right yes sorry I misunderstood, not the brightest haha. 
    Interesting then, my interfaces are a reliable source of frustration but I'd thought that was most likely my user error as others seem to cope well enough (could week be this still haha)

A good deal there for somebody looking to get into this quickly and easily
  • £379 at Andertons, that's cheaper than Native on its own isn't it?
    over £100 cheaper than a stomp + native too..seems like a pretty decent price. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • I'm not sure I can fully justify spending £379 on music stuff at the moment even if it is a good deal, especially as I already have Cubase (albeit Elements not Artist) and interfaces (albeit cheap ones). And if I could justify it, a second hand Stomp would give at least a physical bit of kit to use out of the recording context and still provide an interface (i think it does anyway).

Time for another Native trial sign up I think :)
  • Fretwired said:

As far as I can tell there is virtually no difference in practice apart from the shape of the connector. The new UR-series interface can actually use USB 3 SuperSpeed mode, which is unusual, but it doesn't offer any advantages in terms of latency or anything else for that matter.

Stuckfast said:

As far as I can tell there is virtually no difference in practice apart from the shape of the connector. The new UR-series interface can actually use USB 3 SuperSpeed mode, which is unusual, but it doesn't offer any advantages in terms of latency or anything else for that matter.

That's not the case. The newer UR-C models use new SSP3 DSP chips with new drivers for improved latency and the units sample at 192KHz with a maximum resolution of 32 bits. The older units are 24 bit.

• It is the case! I have actually tested the UR816-C, and the latency performance is identical with the previous UR824 (which is now more than eight years old). I have also had this officially confirmed by Steinberg.

The main advantage as far as the smaller UR interfaces is concerned is that there is more power available over the USB-C connector, so the 22, 24 and 44 can all now run on bus power.
    Stuckfast said:
    It is the case! I have actually tested the UR816-C, and the latency performance is identical with the previous UR824 (which is now more than eight years old). I have also had this officially confirmed by Steinberg.

The main advantage as far as the smaller UR interfaces is concerned is that there is more power available over the USB-C connector, so the 22, 24 and 44 can all now run on bus power.

I wrote what Steinberg claim on their website and what a SOS review said .. I'm talking about the entry-level units.

• ... and if there is a real-world advantage to 32-bit recording, I don't know what it is. The converters in the newer UR-C interfaces don't offer a wider dynamic range than those in the older UR series, and in any case that dynamic range is much smaller than the theoretical limit offered by 24-bit recording.
  • I've downloaded another trial of Helix Native to see if it was worth going for this, and after two days it no longer loads in Cubase or Reaper and just crashes either of them upon loading. So I guess that's my sign isn't it...