Strymon Deco, a very versatile pedal

What's Hot
chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3965
On my second one now after stupidly selling my first. This time I also have a favourite switch which is very useful.

I have set this up with a bit of light chorus on the double tracker side for a nice clean tone, then I can add in some light tape saturation when needed.

For a lead tone, I use the favourite switch to crank up the saturation and bring in some subtle delay. In addition to that, I can hold the right footswitch down for the flanger.

I know it’s not cheap but there’s an impressive amount of sounds in that small pedal.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DominicDominic Frets: 16095
    One of the best pedals ever
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26994
    100% agree. Virtually every setting sounds great to the point that it's almost impossible to get an unusable sound out of it 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • horseheadhorsehead Frets: 220
    That pedal has never and will never leave my  pedalboard
  • Does it do a lofi warbly vibrato/chorus thing like the ILFJ?
  • keirkeir Frets: 137
    I wish it had midi like strymon’s newer pedals, so many good sounds in one box
    Good deals with: handsomerick, majorscale, gassage, sticker, smudge_lad, anglian, edinfield99, thewiddler, thomfripp, notonlybutalso, JDE, chebellanga
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    Lots of brilliant sounds, but I kept going back to the delay setting which was never quite enough for me. I think a favourite switch would make a huge difference. 

I sold my Deco and bought a Keeley Eccos which covers a lot of the same ground but is first and foremost a tape delay. As such has a much greater level of control over delay times and sounds, plus three presets which is dead handy. 
  • One has been firmly velcro'd in place for 5 years odd and currently have it set to a light chorus on the right with a thru zero flange on a favourite switch. Saturation side lives on just past 2 o'clock. Never leaving, Ever :)
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 598
    keir said:
    This. If it had midi control of presets like the Sunset/ Riverside I'd be really tempted. 
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10206
    An excellent pedal. Love the way it fattens everything up with the gain function. 
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 598
    Beexter said:
    keir said:
    This. If it had midi control of presets like the Sunset/ Riverside I'd be really tempted. 
    Further to this, I emailed Strymon earlier and there is no prospect of midi in the current version but they will  " be happy to share your feedback in seeing this update to Deco with the team."

Fingers crossed..
  • keirkeir Frets: 137
    Beexter said:
    Beexter said:
    keir said:
    Further to this, I emailed Strymon earlier and there is no prospect of midi in the current version but they will  " be happy to share your feedback in seeing this update to Deco with the team."

Fingers crossed..
    That would be brilliant, I sold mine to @chrisj1602 purely due to a board slim down and being a bit obsessed with midi switching and presets. If a midi capable deco came out I’d probably preorder a new one as soon as I could. 
    Good deals with: handsomerick, majorscale, gassage, sticker, smudge_lad, anglian, edinfield99, thewiddler, thomfripp, notonlybutalso, JDE, chebellanga
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    keir said:
    Beexter said:
    Beexter said:
    keir said:

Fingers crossed..
    That would be brilliant, I sold mine to @chrisj1602 purely due to a board slim down and being a bit obsessed with midi switching and presets. If a midi capable deco came out I’d probably preorder a new one as soon as I could. 
    I would do exactly the same. Only need a 4 or 5 delay sounds nowadays so to be able to save a few I would love a strymon small box that i can switch via mini midi :)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • horseheadhorsehead Frets: 220
    Is the favourite switch a definite bonus then?
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3965
    horsehead said:
    Is the favourite switch a definite bonus then?
    I think so. For example, you can use it for two levels of saturation,  so that could then give you three levels, off, on and favourite. Then there’s the doubletracker side, so you can switch from chorus to delay or, slap back to longer delay etc. I always use the hold function for flanger to maximise the available sounds.
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    I love the ethos behind the pedal, i.e. tape machine effects, but ultimately it was too subtle for me. I needed more drive, modulation and delay. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Asked this earlier, but no response: can the Deco do a lofi warbly vibrato/chorus sound similar to the Instant LoFi Junky?
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3965
    Asked this earlier, but no response: can the Deco do a lofi warbly vibrato/chorus sound similar to the Instant LoFi Junky?
    Apologies, I hoped someone else might jump in on this. I’m not  sure what the LoFi Junky sounds like so couldn’t really say.  The chorus is fairly subtle but there is a dedicated wobble control...
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26994
    Asked this earlier, but no response: can the Deco do a lofi warbly vibrato/chorus sound similar to the Instant LoFi Junky?
    Apologies, I hoped someone else might jump in on this. I’m not  sure what the LoFi Junky sounds like so couldn’t really say.  The chorus is fairly subtle but there is a dedicated wobble control...
    Based on 30 seconds scrolling youtube, i'd say yes - at least broadly speaking. It doesn't have the same degree of control over the "wobble" but it sounds ace.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Asked this earlier, but no response: can the Deco do a lofi warbly vibrato/chorus sound similar to the Instant LoFi Junky?
    Based on 30 seconds scrolling youtube, i'd say yes - at least broadly speaking. It doesn't have the same degree of control over the "wobble" but it sounds ace.
    Thanks, both of you. I’ve got a second GFI Synesthesia arriving tomorrow (first one was faulty), so if that doesn’t work out I’ll be strongly considering a Deco.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16095
    Personally I don't find a use for anything but the most subtle hair of wobble........if you're playing in a band or with others it just sounds as if somebody is out of tune.