Strymon Deco, a very versatile pedal

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• The Synesthesia was infuriating. Same issues as the first one, so it’s gone back. Now considering a Deco, Caroline Somersault or a Shallow Water.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4723

Top of my wish list the Deco.

• keirkeir Frets: 137
    The Synesthesia was infuriating. Same issues as the first one, so it’s gone back. Now considering a Deco, Caroline Somersault or a Shallow Water.
    How come the Synesthesia was annoying mate?
    Good deals with: handsomerick, majorscale, gassage, sticker, smudge_lad, anglian, edinfield99, thewiddler, thomfripp, notonlybutalso, JDE, chebellanga
  • brojanglesbrojangles Frets: 362
    edited October 2020
    @BintyTwanger77 I had a Deco for a bit and I'm interested in lo fi gritty warble. The Deco could do it a bit, and did lots of other things well, but I figured I already had a chorus pedal with a mix knob and could do more in the lo fi gritty warble field with El Capistan which I already had, so I sold the Deco. If lo fi gritty warble is the main thing you're after, I reckon you'd be better off with the Shallow Water. (Though the Deco does great chorus and flanging and if I'd had more room on my board I'd have probably kept it.) 
  • keir said:
    The Synesthesia was infuriating. Same issues as the first one, so it’s gone back. Now considering a Deco, Caroline Somersault or a Shallow Water.
    It was the same issues that I had before with the first unit that I thought was faulty (the slow volume could not be triggered, no swell, no softening of attack), and none of the envelope-based algorithms could be triggered. Unlike the first one they sent, the replacement didn’t have the up-to-date firmware with the newer algorithms, so I downloaded it... same issues, I tweaked every parameter, connected it to the SymmLab editor... and just got fed up with all the tweaking and the algorithms that didn’t work so sent it back for a full refund.
  • keirkeir Frets: 137
    keir said:
    It was the same issues that I had before with the first unit that I thought was faulty (the slow volume could not be triggered, no swell, no softening of attack), and none of the envelope-based algorithms could be triggered. Unlike the first one they sent, the replacement didn’t have the up-to-date firmware with the newer algorithms, so I downloaded it... same issues, I tweaked every parameter, connected it to the SymmLab editor... and just got fed up with all the tweaking and the algorithms that didn’t work so sent it back for a full refund.
    Weird, I’ve only seen positive reviews. Will definitely hang fire now to see if the issues are fixed with new firmware. 
    Good deals with: handsomerick, majorscale, gassage, sticker, smudge_lad, anglian, edinfield99, thewiddler, thomfripp, notonlybutalso, JDE, chebellanga
  • @BintyTwanger77 I had a Deco for a bit and I'm interested in lo fi gritty warble. The Deco could do it a bit, and did lots of other things well, but I figured I already had a chorus pedal with a mix knob and could do more in the lo fi gritty warble field with El Capistan which I already had, so I sold the Deco. If lo fi gritty warble is the main thing you're after, I reckon you'd be better off with the Shallow Water. (Though the Deco does great chorus and flanging and if I'd had more room on my board I'd have probably kept it.) 
    I have tried one and really really liked it, and could get a great gritty vibrato with wobble fully up, blend all the way clockwise, volume down and saturation all the way up. I already have a Timeline and a Delay Llama Xtreme, so loads of warbly options, so maybe a dedicated chorus/vibrato pedal would be more useful.

With the Shallow Water, can you get at least close to a classic chorus or flanger sound?
  • Never tried one but I think it can do a normal-ish chorus.