Les Paul Pickguard.

What's Hot

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14427
    Crazyblue1779 said:
    I always felt like it was an afterthought because it just doesn’t tie in with the aesthetics of the guitar.

I can just picture the original Les Paul design guys, getting ready to go home on a Friday and then they realised they forgot about a pickguard, so they lifted a random triangular bit of plastic that was lying around and stuck it on and thought sod it, it’ll do. 
    The Gibson Les Paul Model was originally marketed as a jazz guitar. Ted McCarty et al were targeting the novel, compact, solid body design at squares, accustomed to big hollow body "jazz boxes". The triangular pickguard was a cut down variation of the object expected to be supplied on the existing products.

to take one off and leave empty screw holes?
    Those empty screw holes are great for starting the finish crazing on a Goldtop.   :)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Almost always on.  :)
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    edited October 2020
    Same answer as previously.
    I am a very tolerant person. But the 52 to 61 Gibson Les Paul is an iconic design. All of it. The bridge and the colour may change but the pickguard  remains throughout.
    You can mess with this, but it is just "wrong" to do so IMO. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • skippy76skippy76 Frets: 616
    On as nature intended 
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
    edited October 2020
    Always on for me. I can see why some people (weird people) prefer a Les Paul without one in certain cases, but to take one off and leave empty screw holes? Come on!
    I put a tiny black screw in the pickguard hole on mine, you barely notice it. You could also find a tiny dowel and Sharpie it I guess if you didn't want a random screw in the top of the guitar.
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5629
    I love the pickguard - it completes the guitar.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    Skipped said:

The amazing thing is that she actually looks good like that - and I'm not a fan of tattoos generally.

I'm not sure what relevance it has to taking the pickguard off a Les Paul and seeing the whole guitar though, unless it's not the tattoos you're talking about :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    Skipped said:

The amazing thing is that she actually looks good like that - and I'm not a fan of tattoos generally.
    She looks better without them though (at least IMO) and I guess that's the point.
    idiotwindow said:

She looks better without them though (at least IMO) and I guess that's the point.
    That Les Pauls look better without the pickguard? Yes they do :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    I have been looking at a 2013 LPF thread which asked the question: Was the '52 Les  Paul a "mistake"? (strings passing under the bridge).

Let's hope nobody ever asks that question on here.   :)

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11876
    Just for kicks...I've ordered a pickguard for my Les Paul (it should have came with one in the case but its missing it), want to see what mine looks like with it on, just I know I can do it with photoshop but I just want to see it in person.  Going to do it with some blutac rather than drilling. 
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    Skipped said:
    I am a very tolerant person. But the 52 to 61 Gibson Les Paul is an iconic design. All of it. The bridge and the colour may change but the pickguard  remains throughout.

I think she looks fantastic.
  • proggy said:
    Skipped said:

I think she looks fantastic.
    Me too. Gorgeous picture. 

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11876
    edited October 2020
    hmmmm I kinda like mine with it on now! ( I haven't drilled anything)

vs without.

• enjoenjo Frets: 278
    Used to think off, now think on.
    edited October 2020

*Miles* better. Just no comparison.

Don't ruin it. You can't un-drill the holes when you've come to your senses.

• normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    On
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2133
    Used to think off because I was a Slash fanboi. 

On all the time now. 

I removed the one on my Custom and had it removed for a while. Then I realised that visually it was just kind of missing something. 

I think they look incorrect with the guard off nowadays. Maybe I’m turning into DaN & mICk!11!!
  • MilkMilk Frets: 84
    I always thought they looked to bare without a pickguard and always preferred the looks with one on.
  • polotskapolotska Frets: 116
    For good measure, I’d remove the toggle switch plate as well.