Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Always-on pedal for an AC15C1

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Cols said:
    Cols said:
    Out of curiosity, why don’t you want to use a buffer?  Preventing signal loss over long cable runs or pedal chains is precisely what they’re for.
    I currently use a buffer, the Bonafide buffer in my Polytune. It’s fine, but to me guitar sounds better straight into the amp... I’m probably overthinking this as usual  :)
    How extensive is your pedal chain?

Bear in mind that the output from the last pedal in your chain is what’s ultimately driving the amp.  If you have a pedal with high output impedance last in the chain, it might affect the top end even if you have a buffer at the beginning.

At the risk of overdoing things, you could always try a second buffer right before the amp.
    Providence System Tuner instead of the Polytune might be a good solution for this as you can go back into it after pedals and then buffer the signal back to the amp. In theory a good solution if you just want to restore the guitar into amp tone. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Another end of chain idea would be a small buffered boost like the Fulltone 2b that you could also use as a solo boost. 
  • Cols said:
    Cols said:
    Out of curiosity, why don’t you want to use a buffer?  Preventing signal loss over long cable runs or pedal chains is precisely what they’re for.
    I currently use a buffer, the Bonafide buffer in my Polytune. It’s fine, but to me guitar sounds better straight into the amp... I’m probably overthinking this as usual  :)

Bear in mind that the output from the last pedal in your chain is what’s ultimately driving the amp.  If you have a pedal with high output impedance last in the chain, it might affect the top end even if you have a buffer at the beginning.

At the risk of overdoing things, you could always try a second buffer right before the amp.
    Providence System Tuner instead of the Polytune might be a good solution for this as you can go back into it after pedals and then buffer the signal back to the amp. In theory a good solution if you just want to restore the guitar into amp tone. 
    Just looked at these online, looks very nifty indeed.
  • Cols said:
    Cols said:

Just looked at these online, looks very nifty indeed.
    Does your Polytune have the option of switching the buffer on and off? If so, could be worth quickly trying your Polytune at the front of the pedal chain with the buffer switched OFF, then moving it to the end of the chain and switching the buffer ON, as an attempt to gauge if having a buffer at the end makes any audible difference? I don't know if this would make any discernible difference but if the results are pleasing you could either buy another bonafide buffer (or other standalone small buffer) for the end of the pedal chain or invest in something like the System Tuner for a tidy solution.

Certain YouTube videos would have you believe that not all buffers are created equal, but most people seem to like the TC bonafide buffer, from what I've read.

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    ThorpyFx Fat General or Heavy Water would work well
  • BintyTwanger77BintyTwanger77 Frets: 2219
    edited October 2020
    sweepy said:
    Great suggestions, thanks. On a complete whim, I’ve ended up ordering a Chase Bliss Condor. It does WAY more than I’m looking for, but I’ve always wanted to try one out and I’ve got 14 days to see if it works for me.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • gatheredinsonggatheredinsong Frets: 652
    edited October 2020
    Nice. You should have said you had that kind of budget!  
  • sweepy said:
    Great suggestions, thanks. On a complete whim, I’ve ended up ordering a Chase Bliss Condor. It does WAY more than I’m looking for, but I’ve always wanted to try one out and I’ve got 14 days to see if it works for me.
    ahh the old sledge hammer to crack a nut special

good work sir 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepy said:

good work sir 
    Advance review: Pure, unmitigated, 100% GAS-fuelled impulse buy, will most probably return.
  • keirkeir Frets: 137
    sweepy said:

good work sir 
    Advance review: Pure, unmitigated, 100% GAS-fuelled impulse buy, will most probably return.
    https://youtu.be/asBOScUQThY

You’re in for a treat mate
    Good deals with: handsomerick, majorscale, gassage, sticker, smudge_lad, anglian, edinfield99, thewiddler, thomfripp, notonlybutalso, JDE, chebellanga
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72325
    There’s something about “tone suck” that you may not know...

A friend of mine had a large pedalboard with a mix of Boss pedals, a Cry Baby and a few true bypass pedals - despite the Boss buffers, the tone with all the pedals off compared to the guitar straight into the amp was terrible.

To make it easier to try to work out where the problem was coming from and save faffing around plugging and unplugging cables, I ran the whole pedalboard in the loop of my Boss LS-2. With the level set to the same (on the controls), it was obvious that the signal through the pedalboard was slightly quieter than the bypass as well as worse-sounding. So I increased the loop level until they were identical, and... the tone suck disappeared - completely.

We then compared it to the guitar straight into the amp and there was also no difference.

Even more surprising, when I then increased the loop level very slightly - but not enough to create an obvious volume boost - it was then the *direct* sound which seemed to “suck tone”.

In other words this is simply the known psycho-acoustic effect where a small change in volume is perceived as a tone change and not a volume change.

While it’s true that some pedals do definitely alter the bypass tone, I’m fairly sure that the vast majority of problems guitarists have with “tone suck” from buffered pedals are due to this alone. The simple solution is just to turn the amp up very slightly :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26991
    Wis for @ICBM as ever. 

I've had loads of pedals that people have suggest have "terrible bypass" but never noticed. Because I don't use any sort of loop switcher, I always just use my ears to set the amp based on whatever the signal chain is, and never worry about comparison to the sound with just a cable.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9613
    I haven’t experimented like that myself @ICBM but I don’t doubt your conclusion. But I always thought it a bad (probably purely cost-cutting) decision by a company like Boss to include a buffer with a gain of less than 1 in their pedals. Even more so when they expect you to connect several of their pedals in series. Would it have killed them to manufacture a buffer with a gain of 1?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I haven’t experimented like that myself @ICBM but I don’t doubt your conclusion. But I always thought it a bad (probably purely cost-cutting) decision by a company like Boss to include a buffer with a gain of less than 1 in their pedals. Even more so when they expect you to connect several of their pedals in series. Would it have killed them to manufacture a buffer with a gain of 1?
    Yes, this is something that frustrates me too. Just adding a single transistor gain stage - which can be absolutely transparent over the guitar frequency range - to bring the level up to unity, or using an IC-based switching buffer with true unity gain, would solve the problem completely and cost pennies at the quantities they make.

It might well have prevented this whole “true bypass” fashion - undoing all the good work Boss and others did in the late 70s to fix the many problems with mechanical switching - from taking off in the first place.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 9613
    I don’t think they’d need to add much, as the buffer is a single transistor gain stage afaik, and not dissimilar to fancy boutique boosts that people pay large sums of money for!
    I don’t think they’d need to add much, as the buffer is a single transistor gain stage afaik, and not dissimilar to fancy boutique boosts that people pay large sums of money for!
    The Boss buffers are emitter-followers, which is a configuration that must have slightly less than unity gain - they couldn't fix it by altering this stage, but adding another single-transistor stage before the output buffer to make up the loss would do. Transistors cost so little in the volumes Boss use them that it probably wouldn't affect the selling price of the pedal significantly at all.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I feel like we need to all sign a letter to Boss offering @ICBM 's consultancy services. 
    I feel like we need to all sign a letter to Boss offering @ICBM 's consultancy services. 
    Ha :).

I'm certain they wouldn't be interested, since they've never fixed any of the other commonly-reported problems which go back decades either - eg the SD-1's bypass bleed and the GE-7's excessive noise.

• HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    keir said:
    sweepy said:

good work sir 
    https://youtu.be/asBOScUQThY

You’re in for a treat mate
    That's the first time I have ever watched a pedal review and still not known what it actually does.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dilbertdilbert Frets: 203
    Hattigol said:
    That's the first time I have ever watched a pedal review and still not known what it actually does.

Emperor's clothes?