Music production course

What's Hot
So, I was thinking about trying to get some formal education around recording and producing. 

I know there are almost unlimited YouTube vids etc on all aspects of this but it’s almost too much.  I learn better by following a structured course and by jumping around I feel I’m missing out on some obvious basics. 

I use studio one and know the real basics but beyond recording, adding basic effects and then roughly getting the volumes right, the rest is a bit of a mystery.

I don’t have the option to ditch my job and do a full time course so am looking for something evenings/weekend/online.  I know that physical studio stuff is severely (if not completely) restricted at the moment but has anyone here done anything similar of know of people/companies that offer courses.

Searches throws up a few options (point blank, London AMP, UWL) which I’m looking through but I thought I’d see what the collective wisdom of tFB has to offer. 

Cheers all
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10413
    I had a couple of interns at our studio, they basically came in when they wanted to learn and did jobs around the place but didn't get paid. Both were uni guys getting real world experience during their degrees. Watching someone do the job from start to finish is one of the most effective ways of leaning as you can ask questions when they occur to you. Trouble is a lot of studios like mine have gone and the smaller ones making money are working in post rather than creating music. 

The only courses i'm aware of would probably take up too much time but there are online structured courses you can do, I used to do a Protools one but what you learn is relative to any DAW in terms of mixing skills. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27570
    There are quite a lot of options on Udemy.

They can be ridiculously good VFM too.  They have fairly frequent offers during which most courses seems to price crash to <£19.99.

Once bought, they're yours forever.  You can watch at your own speed/time, and re-watch as often as you like.  There are generic courses as well as product-specific.  If you see something you like the look of, there are generally a couple of intro sessions FoC.  It's worth watching those before committing because some of the presenters can have really annoying voices/styles!
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2412
    You could also look in to 1-2-1 tuition, which might be more cost-effective, though it won't give you a qualification.

Do PreSonus offer a formal training scheme for Studio One like Avid do with Pro Tools and Apple for Logic?
  • Next time it opens up speed mixing from URM is prob worth a look.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7771
    @octatonic may have some advice
  • ChrisRGChrisRG Frets: 55
    Thanks for all the ideas guys.

@Danny1969 Yeah I'm sure a lot of people are being hit bad at the moment.  If you're still doing the course, then please let me know.  I know the Studio One isn't one of the main DAWs in use professionally but as you say, the basics apply across the board.

@TTony I wasn't sure how the quality of general online learning platforms would compare to other courses but I'll definitely check them out.

@Stuckfast ; 1-2-1 tuition is definitely an option although I wouldn't know where to start regarding who would be a good teacher.  PreSonus do lots of vids about features etc which I've been dipping into.  Couldn't see a more general course though.

@PolarityMan Never heard of URM.  Looks interesting though.

@Winny_Pooh fingers crossed ;)
  • The other thing that might be worth checking out if the jordan valeriote hardcore mixing / tracking courses. His free you tube content is pretty decent but never bought any of the courses mostly because his marketing is a bit aggresive but might also be worth a punt. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    I'm at UWL doing post-grad.
    You can do it part time but that won't mean 'night school' if you work 9-5.
    I am doing 100% of my degree from my studio- I almost never have to go on campus.
    If you want to go that route then it is a very good institution but it is an institution.

I would agree with @Stuckfast doing 1-2-1 tuition is more efficient and cost effective but if you want a qualification then a university is a good approach.

A qualification won't help you get work as a freelance producer/engineer.
    I've never once been asked for a qualification- I've only ever been asked for a portfolio and it is mostly about relationships.
    The people who get work are the ones who are easy to get along with, have good ideas and can work with a minimum of hassle.

I'd argue though that self-teaching is the way to go for the most part.
    Find some bands in your local area, ask to mix their work for free.
    That is how I learned.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom