Unexpected chord in a song

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• CrankyCranky Frets: 2630
    viz said:
    Cranky said:
    viz said:
    No flat 7 chord in there. One thing he might be doing (though it’s hard to tell here with the washing machine going and the dog barking) is when he goes from the I chord to the IV chord (E to A), he may suddenly slip in a transitionary E7, in order to smoothen the transition from E to A. This is called a secondary dominant. Because it behaves like a V-I, whereas in fact it’s a Ib7 - IV. 

That E7 would have a D in it, rather than the D# which is played throughout the majority of the song. 

But there’s no actual D chord anywhere. 
    So is there a difference between calling this a "secondary dominant" vs calling it a "modal mixture", as in a temporary lapse into E mixolydian?

Yes, because the flat 7 of E mixolydian does not facilitate the perfect cadence to the IV; the E as a root (I) chord is firm and absolute. Whereas in a Ib7-IV progression, the IV is treated in that instant as a I, and the progression behaves like a temporary V7-I cadence. 

Okay, so in E Mixolydian it would be a V-I progression whereas in E Ionian it would be a "temporary V7-I" progression?

Is this a substantial difference, or is it more nominal?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10697
    edited November 2020
    Cranky said:
    viz said:
    Cranky said:
    viz said:
    No flat 7 chord in there. One thing he might be doing (though it’s hard to tell here with the washing machine going and the dog barking) is when he goes from the I chord to the IV chord (E to A), he may suddenly slip in a transitionary E7, in order to smoothen the transition from E to A. This is called a secondary dominant. Because it behaves like a V-I, whereas in fact it’s a Ib7 - IV. 

That E7 would have a D in it, rather than the D# which is played throughout the majority of the song. 

But there’s no actual D chord anywhere. 
    So is there a difference between calling this a "secondary dominant" vs calling it a "modal mixture", as in a temporary lapse into E mixolydian?

Yes, because the flat 7 of E mixolydian does not facilitate the perfect cadence to the IV; the E as a root (I) chord is firm and absolute. Whereas in a Ib7-IV progression, the IV is treated in that instant as a I, and the progression behaves like a temporary V7-I cadence. 

Okay, so in E Mixolydian it would be a V-I progression whereas in E Ionian it would be a "temporary V7-I" progression?

Is this a substantial difference, or is it more nominal?
    No, in E mixolydian, the E already has a flat 7, so E to A (or E7 to A) is just I-IV - ok it has a flat 7, but there’s nothing special about that fact coz it’s in the key anyway. 

What’s notable about the E major situation however, is that there is a D# in the key, so if you were to play the 7th note while playing the E chord, you’d be playing Emaj7; BUT when you prepare to move to the A, you can, especially in blues and folk, introduce a flattened 7th, so the I-IV sounds a bit like a V-I, in other words, just for an instant, the A sounds like the new home key, and the E7 sounds like its Dominant. This is why it’s called a secondary dominant, which is a fancy term for what is a very simple and natural move - just playing E7 before the A. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4633
    edited November 2020
    The C is the first, the F the 4th the G the 5th. The Bb is the flat 7.
    You are immediatly in the territory of harmonizing the Mixolydian scale.
    It so happens that in western Music the C major scale is thought of as the most important scale, so we tend to 
    think of that as the main scale.
    Probably because C major is easy to spell and it is just the white notes on the piano. For some reason we decided to start on the C. If we start on the A we are immediatly in Aolian mode or the natural minor.
    Start on the G (again same white notes) and we are in Mixolydian.

So yes the song is in C. But C mixolydian rather than C major.
    I'm really starting to think of modes as keys, rather than modes of a particular major scale.

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9676
    edited November 2020
    Apart from the 'borrowed' chord explanation, there's also the fact that a lot of blues/blues-rock uses chords based on the minor pentatonic scale. For instance the C minor pentatonic consists of C Eb F G Bb, so a blues/rock that centres on C might well contain Eb and Bb chords (as well as the expected F and G chords).
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 616
    It could be borrowed from key of F ..but sometimes you don't have to have a reason for things to sound right ...it's just they do ...iff it sounds good to your ear it's good ..theory shouldn't really need to come into it 
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8707
    Theory is just a way of trying to explain what’s going on.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom