SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

SOLD: Stephens Design Pickup

What's Hot
VintageVintage Frets: 97
edited November 2020 in Parts £
For sale this set, the best PAF replica available on the market. 

Over 18 months of waiting list.

HD bright Neck 
HD 59 bridge

Original cover, untouched solder joints 

1200 pounds shipped

5reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• VintageVintage Frets: 97
    edited November 2020

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • donnerdonner Frets: 48
    Impressive sounds!
    Good luck with the sale
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ellangusellangus Frets: 250
    I have to ask?
    Is that asking price correct?
    Along with many others, I got Scammed by J Collingridge 'Award Winning' Photographer. Full details about his behaviour on this and other forums can be found on this thread. If you have been Scammed by J Collingridge 'Award Winning' Photographer, let us know and even if you haven't, putting a similar message in your own signature will help us warn others.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    edited November 2020
    Certainly.

Price of new: 800$ plus shipping plus duty taxes around 30% on the price plus shipping....around 1100$.

Obviously plus over 18 months of waiting list

Ah, obviously are unavailable as used on the entire world wide web 
    ellangus said:
    I have to ask?
    Is that asking price correct?

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Wow. Ever hopeful I guess. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited November 2020
    OK, good luck!

I have a Stephens Design Broadcaster bridge pickup I bought from him about ten or more years ago - wonder what it's worth now?
    Along with many others, I got Scammed by J Collingridge 'Award Winning' Photographer. Full details about his behaviour on this and other forums can be found on this thread. If you have been Scammed by J Collingridge 'Award Winning' Photographer, let us know and even if you haven't, putting a similar message in your own signature will help us warn others.
  • brucegill said:
    Wow. Ever hopeful I guess. 
    Asides from Stephens Design pickups being very highly regarded, it seems that the maker is notoriously flaky to deal with. 

You’ll find stuff on other forums where people have been waiting years for pickups they’ve bought off him, while at the same time his EBay store seems to be selling pickups he has just wound at a premium.

If you want his pickups the price being charged here is justified as the ones being sold here actually exist and are available.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • brucegill said:
    Wow. Ever hopeful I guess. 
    Asides from Stephens Design pickups being very highly regarded, it seems that the maker is notoriously flaky to deal with. 

You’ll find stuff on other forums where people have been waiting years for pickups they’ve bought off him, while at the same time his EBay store seems to be selling pickups he has just wound at a premium.

If you want his pickups the price being charged here is justified as the ones being sold here actually exist and are available.
    Exactly. 

I ve some friends that have been waiting for over 24 months.

Otherwise, they are the best PAF replica on the market. 
  • Fair enough! Learn something new every day I guess. Good luck with your sale. 
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    edited November 2020
    I remember speaking to spence at shed pickups years ago who used to speak to him and said he is a total mad professor type of character. Really obsessive about the tiny detail of a paf pickup. I guess you you’ll be paying for that R&D etc.

GLWTS
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    edited November 2020
    I remember speaking to spence at shed pickups years ago who used to speak to him and said he is a total mad professor type of character. Really obsessive about the tiny detail of a paf pickup. I guess you you’ll be paying for that R&D etc.

GLWTS
    Yes it's a mad guy. His pickup, are outstanding, and the most accurate PAF replica on the market, very very close to the real deal. I sell mine only cause I would purchase a set of real PAF.
    Of course, Dave not only sell his products, but his knowledge. 
  • Makes one wonder what can really actually go on in a pickup though doesn’t it ;) 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • Makes one wonder what can really actually go on in a pickup though doesn’t it ;) 
    I've tried most of the boutique repro PAF, each producer had it's own formula. I can said that Dave's repros are the best by far. Many collectors i know, have selled their original PAF for Dave pickups cause the sound of his repro are very very close, and this, for upgrade a Gibson les paul reuisse, it's a good way to go, due the elevate cost of original PAF.
    Another thing is that original paf production is more different from each other, like the vintage guitar.....many are great, other are only good guitar. The stephens design pickup are more constant in production, every sets sound great. 
  • Price drop: 1200 pounds shipped 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14434
    ellangus said:
    I have to ask. Is that asking price correct?
    The thread starter is in Italy.

My recollection from private message conversations with an Italian member of the Seymour Duncan forum is that Italian musical equipment distributors take a VERY generous cut then, the government slaps on purchase taxes at whichever of four or five possible percentage rates takes its fancy.

If UK prices are usually straightforward Dollars-to-Pounds conversions, Italian and Greek prices are even more extortionate.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    ellangus said:
    I have to ask. Is that asking price correct?
    The thread starter is in Italy.

My recollection from private message conversations with an Italian member of the Seymour Duncan forum is that Italian musical equipment distributors take a VERY generous cut then, the government slaps on purchase taxes at whichever of four or five possible percentage rates takes its fancy.

If UK prices are usually straightforward Dollars-to-Pounds conversions, Italian and Greek prices are even more extortionate.
    Sorry, I'm not sure I get your point
  • hyperbenhyperben Frets: 1421
    He’s trying to say guitar gear costs more in Italy than it does in the U.K. 
  • Sold! 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom