Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

New Apple M1 range

What's Hot

Comments

• stratologystratology Frets: 181
    edited November 2020
    Any comparisons to Ryzen Zen3 5900X or 5950X yet?? That would interest me.

Arstechnica has a comparison for the Ryzen 7 Pro 4750u, but only for performance with Google Chrome.

Chrome under Rosetta on the M1 is roughly the same as on the Ryzen, the M1 is roughly twice as fast as the Ryzen with both native Chrome and Safari. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    So, currently running logic with s-gear, Helix native, Waves plug-ins would that run natively or under Rosetta?
  • the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1796
    What is Rosetta that keeps being mentioned?
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7417
    the_jaffa said:
    It's the software interface layer (part of MacOS) that is used when the application hasn't been developed with native support for the M1 processor. It means all your old software will work day 1, but adds a performance hit to the M1s potential. As applications get updated they will no longer need to be processed by the Rosetta layer and performance should increase further. 

Some Applications are already native M1, most are not yet 
    Red ones are better. 
  • the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1796
    TimmyO said:
    the_jaffa said:
    It's the software interface layer (part of MacOS) that is used when the application hasn't been developed with native support for the M1 processor. It means all your old software will work day 1, but adds a performance hit to the M1s potential. As applications get updated they will no longer need to be processed by the Rosetta layer and performance should increase further. 

Some Applications are already native M1, most are not yet 
    Brilliant, thank you. I figured it was going to be something to do with translating but a google hadn't helped.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11448
    Unless you have a desperate need for a machine now, then waiting might not be a bad option.

The same might be true for Windows as well.  ARM processors are on their way to Windows.  Microsoft has already released an ARM based Surface.  Software support is poor at the moment, but Apple will have given them a big kick up the rear with these new machines.  It's likely to accelerate the process.   The performance benefit in the short term might not be as big on Windows though, as AMD processors are not as far behind as Intel.
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6152
    Ordered and returned.

My brief review, if using a native app? Hella fast. Safari in particular flies but otherwise it was much slower than my 2020 Air when running via Rosetta 2.

I’ve no doubt this is the future but not quite worth making the leap for me yet.
    Which app(s)?
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17608
    tFB Trader
    crunchman said:
    Unless you have a desperate need for a machine now, then waiting might not be a bad option.

The same might be true for Windows as well.  ARM processors are on their way to Windows.  Microsoft has already released an ARM based Surface.  Software support is poor at the moment, but Apple will have given them a big kick up the rear with these new machines.  It's likely to accelerate the process.   The performance benefit in the short term might not be as big on Windows though, as AMD processors are not as far behind as Intel.

Unless something dramatic changes no one else has got a competitive desktop class ARM processor. 

I'm sure people are working on one, but I think this is a bit like the iPhone where Apple have caught everyone flat footed and you won't get any decent rivals for a few years.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11448
    crunchman said:

Unless something dramatic changes no one else has got a competitive desktop class ARM processor. 

I'm sure people are working on one, but I think this is a bit like the iPhone where Apple have caught everyone flat footed and you won't get any decent rivals for a few years.

You might be right, but that ARM powered Surface was several months ago.

ARM might not make as much difference in the Windows market as Intel isn't the only option.  Intel are way behind at the moment.  If Apple had been using AMD chips, then the performance jump wouldn't have looked quite so extraordinary.

Regardless of the short term, it looks like the long future is ARM based, unless the x86 manufacturers come up with some kind of major game changer.
  • stratologystratology Frets: 181
    edited November 2020
    ARM is just the instruction set. Apple makes the hardware, software, compiler, programming language. All optimised to interact providing the best performance and battery life, rather than a 'lowest common denominator' approach, where a CPU chip has to integrate with 3rd party RAM and controller chips, various operating systems, products from various hardware manufacturers, etc.

Interesting tidbit about low level optimisation:
    "Fun fact: retaining and releasing an NSObject takes ~30 nanoseconds on current gen Intel, and ~6.5 nanoseconds on an M1. … and ~14 nanoseconds on an M1 emulating an Intel."

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ARM is just the instruction set. Apple makes the hardware, software, compiler, programming language. All optimised to interact providing the best performance and battery life, rather than a 'lowest common denominator' approach, where a CPU chip has to integrate with 3rd party RAM and controller chips, various operating systems, products from various hardware manufacturers, etc.

"Fun fact: retaining and releasing an NSObject takes ~30 nanoseconds on current gen Intel, and ~6.5 nanoseconds on an M1. … and ~14 nanoseconds on an M1 emulating an Intel."

This seems to be the key bit.  In just the same way iphones have lower on-paper specs than Android stuff but consistently match or beat them in benchmarks
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    ARM is just the instruction set. Apple makes the hardware, software, compiler, programming language. All optimised to interact providing the best performance and battery life, rather than a 'lowest common denominator' approach, where a CPU chip has to integrate with 3rd party RAM and controller chips, various operating systems, products from various hardware manufacturers, etc.

This seems to be the key bit.  In just the same way iphones have lower on-paper specs than Android stuff but consistently match or beat them in benchmarks

Yes, One of the reasons you get very good performance on console games. A Switch has got a Tegra 2 which is a fairly old tablet processor, but you get fairly decent graphics as everything is honed and optimised to wring every last bit of performance out of it.
  • Any comparisons to Ryzen Zen3 5900X or 5950X yet?? That would interest me.

Arstechnica has a comparison for the Ryzen 7 Pro 4750u, but only for performance with Google Chrome.

Chrome under Rosetta on the M1 is roughly the same as on the Ryzen, the M1 is roughly twice as fast as the Ryzen with both native Chrome and Safari. 
    Update: Anandtech now has benchmarks that include the 5950X.
  • ARM is just the instruction set. Apple makes the hardware, software, compiler, programming language. All optimised to interact providing the best performance and battery life, rather than a 'lowest common denominator' approach, where a CPU chip has to integrate with 3rd party RAM and controller chips, various operating systems, products from various hardware manufacturers, etc.

Yes, One of the reasons you get very good performance on console games. A Switch has got a Tegra 2 which is a fairly old tablet processor, but you get fairly decent graphics as everything is honed and optimised to wring every last bit of performance out of it.
    Exactly. And it's why Apple make so much money*, because they don't have 10 middlemen in the value chain that all want their own margin.

(plus dongles, obviously...)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10405
    I always thought the PS1 was a great example of getting amazing performance out of what was some very lowly hardware. I think it had something like 2Mb ram and maybe 1Mb on the GPU yet the games pissed all over the PC games at the time
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    tFB Trader
    Danny1969 said:
    I always thought the PS1 was a great example of getting amazing performance out of what was some very lowly hardware. I think it had something like 2Mb ram and maybe 1Mb on the GPU yet the games pissed all over the PC games at the time

Ars Technica did some really awesome articles on that.

Essentially PC architecture is not very well suited for playing games and with the Playstation and even more so with the PS2 Sony optimised them as a graphics pipeline rather than a general purpose computer.
    tFB Trader
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10405

Actual real world Logic test mixing a 48 chan live show from a Live engineer

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • PabloPablo Frets: 38
    @WiresDreamDisasters ;

https://www.anandtech.com/show/16252/mac-mini-apple-m1-tested/2

Cinebench and Geekbench results with the 5950x included.
  • Jetsam1Jetsam1 Frets: 604
    Reading this it might be worth thinking about a Macbook Air as the next computer. Price is still reasonable and I doubt I would get anywhere with the potential even with that. Just some photo editing and a basic VM. Would do me for a good few years.

I run quite old machines anyway. Wife has a Macbook Air from 2016 and it has been sound. Prob worth a punt.