Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Des O'Connor

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72420
    DB1 said:

When Buddy Holly came over - I'm thinking that it must have been 1958 - he arrived before the band's equipment did and to give him something to play around on while he was waiting, he asked Des (who was the compere for the multi-act tour) to go and find him a guitar. Des went out and bought a Hofner (a Senator maybe?) from a store and gave it to him. At that time, you couldn't really get an American guitar in the UK due to import tariffs, so German clunkers were more or less all that they had in music shops.

When the tour ended, Buddy gave the Hofner to Des, who very creditably gave the guitar to Buddy's family (it might have been for the Buddy Holly Foundation) after Buddy died. A nice gesture from a nice man.
    Yes, it was.

It was a President. I was listening to the radio this morning and they had an old recorded interview with him where he talked about it - he said Buddy tried 17 guitars before settling on this one...!

http://www.vintagehofner.co.uk/gallery/archtops5/arch1.html

RIP :(

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5025
    Ah, thanks, that's interesting. My brain was a bit foggy with the details, as ever.
    Call me Dave.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16103
    Des was a great  entertainer and always had stunning wives !
    He used to live 6 doors away from me and I was only talking to Sam ,his daughter about a month ago.
    We used to hang around together in a group as late teenagers .
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Great all round entertainer. So many great memories.
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.