Montys "ageing wax" snake oil? or good ?

What's Hot

Comments

• If anyone has any of the Monty's that they don't need I'd be happy to buy it off them. I only need a small amount and really can't justify spending £16 on a coffee cup...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3354
    If anyone has any of the Monty's that they don't need I'd be happy to buy it off them. I only need a small amount and really can't justify spending £16 on a coffee cup...
    You're not typing this on your phone in Starbucks are you? ;)
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • If anyone has any of the Monty's that they don't need I'd be happy to buy it off them. I only need a small amount and really can't justify spending £16 on a coffee cup...
    You're not typing this on your phone in Starbucks are you? ;)
    No, I'm in Costa!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The_Whisper_ThiefThe_Whisper_Thief Frets: 99
    edited September 2021
    Resurrecting this thread after a search! I too have just bought a tub of Monty's wax, the one with the espresso tint, and after doing some research into getting a hold of something to give the 'board a clean first was left totally confused regarding whether the lighter fluid tins I was seeing on Amazon were right for the job! 

I found this (photo below) and now am having another moment of hesitance regarding whether it's the right stuff too! Anyone able to confirm if this is at all suitable for the quick cleaning job required as per the Monty's video/instructions?! 

https://i.imgur.com/PxYiQTq.jpg
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12030
    Yes, Naphtha is lighter fluid.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Here's an updated instructional video from Monty's themselves which shows he's using lighter fluid.

I actually got a tub of their regular (non-relic) wax last month from Matt when i picked up my guitar.  Not used it yet though but they come in a tin now, not a plastic tub or coffee mug.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • My confusion when looking at the lighter fluid listings on Amazon was that there's no mention at all of Naphtha. And in some cases buyers had specifically asked that question and were told that it did not contain or was not naphtha. I'm sure one of the items was Amazons listing for Zippo lighter fluid. 

Anyway, here's hoping that stuff I bought is the right stuff coz I'm going to give it a whirl on the 'board that needs some attention 
    My confusion when looking at the lighter fluid listings on Amazon was that there's no mention at all of Naphtha. And in some cases buyers had specifically asked that question and were told that it did not contain or was not naphtha. I'm sure one of the items was Amazons listing for Zippo lighter fluid. 

Anyway, here's hoping that stuff I bought is the right stuff coz I'm going to give it a whirl on the 'board that needs some attention 
    Put it on the cloth to wipe, a little at a time.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16918
    the stuff you got is definitely naptha.

Zipper and Ronsonol lighter fluid is too
    https://certification.zippo.com/Documents/Safety Data Sheet/English/Zippo Lighter Fluid - North America.pdf

• A/Bing 0:46s to 2:50s :neutral: 
  • WezV said:
    the stuff you got is definitely naptha.

Zipper and Ronsonol lighter fluid is too
    https://certification.zippo.com/Documents/Safety Data Sheet/English/Zippo Lighter Fluid - North America.pdf

Cheers Wez. You know what it's like when it comes to the objects of our desire! I'm always hesitant when it comes to letting something (or someone!) touch them!! 
  • I find slapping my belly with a wet fish makes my fretboard darker.  Is there any way to make money out of it i wonder
  • Rich31kRich31k Frets: 813
    So I had a fretboard that was looking a bit anaemic, and thought I might as well give this stuff a go. 

Followed the instructions - naphtha, montyspresso, then leave it for as long as I fancy, then wipe off and apply monty’s instrument food. 

I don’t know how much is due to the dye, and how much is the wax, but the change in appearance is impressive in my opinion. If feels nicer to play too. 

Before:

After:

0reaction image LOL 14reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • KristoKristo Frets: 131
    Does anyone have a tin/cup of this they no longer need please? 
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    edited March 2023
    Walnut Oil does the same thing and can be used in salad dressings. It has to be applied on a regular basis so every string change. 
  • jeztone2 said:
    Walnut Oil does the same thing and can be used in salad dressings... 
    I can’t afford that on my celery!
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2441
    Never thought about oiling my walnuts.....but I'm getting to the drying up wrinkly age....
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 2563
    It’s not generally a good idea to use foods oils for treating wood, it won't dry so remain tacky and eventually it’ll go rancid and smell off. Stick to mineral oils or known wood preserving oils like linseed, tung etc
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    edited March 2023
    elstoof said:
    It’s not generally a good idea to use foods oils for treating wood, it won't dry so remain tacky and eventually it’ll go rancid and smell off. Stick to mineral oils or known wood preserving oils like linseed, tung etc
    You do know that Walnut is a wood don’t you? And that people have used walnut oil for decades on furniture & gun stocks?