Montys "ageing wax" snake oil? or good ?

What's Hot

Comments

• elstoofelstoof Frets: 2563
    edited March 2023
    Walnut is a seed from which the oil is pressed. You’d have a bit of a job pressing oil from the wood of the tree itself. 

You’ll notice I said “generally” as that’s the general advice for oiling wood, before anyone here starts rubbing crisp’n’dry on their fretboards 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7671
    edited March 2023
    In the same way as boiled or "refined" linseed oil has been heat treated to improve its ability to dry properly and not leave a tacky rubbery residue that can go off, walnut oil needs to be heat treated to make it food safe (chopping boards and counter tops) by denaturing the proteins that make it go rancid and make it more suitable for jobs like treating fretboards.  If you use any untreated organic oil on wood it can go rancid.  I would say that it is best to steer away from walnut oil unless you know for certain that it has been heat treated.  You would NOT want to be putting treated walnut oil on your celery.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2385
    I once asked a vintage guitar sales guy what to use to make the board look well used he said "used engine oil". No thanks!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1986
    elstoof said:
    Walnut is a seed from which the oil is pressed. You’d have a bit of a job pressing oil from the wood of the tree itself. 

You’ll notice I said “generally” as that’s the general advice for oiling wood, before anyone here starts rubbing crisp’n’dry on their fretboards 
    That will just leave your fretboard covered in chips.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SeziertischSeziertisch Frets: 1370
    edited October 2023
    I’ve been experimenting with the Monty’s and discovered that applying a very thin layer (with a toothbrush) and then giving it a quick blast with a hairdryer (with a diffuser) gives good results using very little of the wax.
  • PennPenn Frets: 663
    I’ve used Monty’s. Cleaned board with lighter fluid, left it in the board for 2 days really thick and it’s worked ok. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited October 2023
    I picked some up a while ago out of curiosity, tried it on my daughter’s Squier laurel board and it worked a treat, noticeable darker from 1 application. Tried it on some rosewood boards and made no difference at all. Feels nice enough afterwards, too much of a faff to use as a regular fretboard treatment so will stick to Crimson oil for rosewood. Shoe polishing cream was better for darkening for me too
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19312
    elstoof said:
    I picked some up a while ago out of curiosity, tried it on my daughter’s Squier pau ferro board and it worked a treat, noticeable darker from 1 application. Tried it on some rosewood boards and made no difference at all. Feels nice enough afterwards, too much of a faff to use as a regular fretboard treatment so will stick to Crimson oil for rosewood. Shoe polishing cream was better for darkening for me too
    Vintage Kiwi or Cherry Blossom?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Neither, a soft cream rather than a hard wax. Probably Saphir 1925 or similar
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19312
    ;)  Have you tried Stones beeswax furniture cream?
  • timhuliotimhulio Frets: 1292
    tFB Trader
    This is the result after two applications (done one after the other) on a really horrid and dry rosewood board on a First Act guitar I used to leave in the Fredric Effects office. I think the results are very good, and I'll use it on the Tele I take to guitar shows shortly.

Before

After

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • willowillo Frets: 389
    edited October 2023
    I've seen some good results from this lately and would love to darken a few modern rosewood boards. And @timhulio 's example above is another good one.

However....I had been told previously that wax can result in long term damage to the frets, due to the fretboard expanding as it absorbs the oil and/or wax.

Old wives tale or truth?
    Wood expands and contracts a lot more from changes in humidity than it ever will from a bit of oiling
  • To some extent I think it depends on the wood. I used it on an Indian laurel board, followed the instructions per Monty's video, left it on for 2 days and the difference was negligible. The fretboard felt nicer but that was about it. 
    Link to my trading feedback
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11057
    tFB Trader
    elstoof said:
    It’s not generally a good idea to use foods oils for treating wood, it won't dry so remain tacky and eventually it’ll go rancid and smell off. Stick to mineral oils or known wood preserving oils like linseed, tung etc
    Linseed oil, also known as flaxseed oil or flax oil (in its edible form), is a colourless to yellowish oil obtained from the dried, ripened seeds of the flax plant. 
    Tung oil or China wood oil is a drying oil obtained by pressing the seed from the nut of the tung tree (Vernicia fordii). 

FYI both the oils you are quoting are vegetable oils. Walnut oil is fine for fingerboards ... I've even used extra virgin olive oil in the past with no issues.  
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8825
    tFB Trader
    I would avoid linseed oil and boiled linseed oil 
    elstoof said:
    It’s not generally a good idea to use foods oils for treating wood, it won't dry so remain tacky and eventually it’ll go rancid and smell off. Stick to mineral oils or known wood preserving oils like linseed, tung etc
    Linseed oil, also known as flaxseed oil or flax oil (in its edible form), is a colourless to yellowish oil obtained from the dried, ripened seeds of the flax plant. 
    Tung oil or China wood oil is a drying oil obtained by pressing the seed from the nut of the tung tree (Vernicia fordii). 

FYI both the oils you are quoting are vegetable oils. Walnut oil is fine for fingerboards ... I've even used extra virgin olive oil in the past with no issues.  
    Which is what I said, “stick to mineral oils OR known preserving oils” such as tung or linseed which have been heat treated for stability. I wouldn’t personally raid the kitchen cupboard for wood finish and not many woodworkers would advise it, I’d rather not encourage bacteria cultures to set up camp. 

I’m not really a fan of mineral oils or the so-called-boiled versions of vegetable based oils, pure tung oil is my usual go to for wood finish and I’ve used it to finish maple necks too. For my rosewood fretboards I use the Crimson oil which is petroleum free
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11057
    edited October 2023 tFB Trader
    elstoof said:
    elstoof said:

Which is what I said, “stick to mineral oils OR known preserving oils” such as tung or linseed which have been heat treated for stability. I wouldn’t personally raid the kitchen cupboard for wood finish and not many woodworkers would advise it, I’d rather not encourage bacteria cultures to set up camp. 

I’m not really a fan of mineral oils or the so-called-boiled versions of vegetable based oils, pure tung oil is my usual go to for wood finish and I’ve used it to finish maple necks too. For my rosewood fretboards I use the Crimson oil which is petroleum free

Tung oil is a drying oil as well as linseed... so you don't want to be using them on fingerboards they are actually applying a finish, not simply 'oiling' ...they can accumulate and harden under the fret beads and make future fret work more difficult.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

I wouldn’t use it on a fretboard either (apart from maple which I have and would use again). I only mentioned it as an example of a commonly used natural finishing oil, as opposed to Sainsbury’s taste the difference walnut oil
  • I would avoid linseed oil and boiled linseed oil 
    I’m curious. I’ve used boiled linseed oil to condition rosewood fingerboards for years with no obvious adverse effects.