Lazy J bad press {videos]

What's Hot
randersonranderson Frets: 187
edited November 2020 in Amps
 I have always heard great things from people re. Lazy J so much so, that I planned to own one myself some point soon. However I've just discovered the following over on TGP and don't think it has been mentioned here, re. some very unflattering videos made by an amp tech in the USA in re. to the Lazy J build quality/choices. 

My initial thoughts were that perhaps some other amp tech has gone through it prior, resulting in the faults shown but it's certainly compelling. I know Jesse floats around these parts and is great by all accounts. I am not wishing to stir the pot at all but he might also want to be made aware of it. 

Here's one of the vids : https://www.facebook.com/PsionicAudio/posts/2935467956504847

All the videos (there's a few of them) are found on the following facebook page https://www.facebook.com/watch/PsionicAudio/ 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    edited November 2020
    Edit... ignore my rant about psionic folks... 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5754
    Writing this as someone who’s never played a Lazy J or been in the market for one. That video would not put me off investigating one at all. It’s all negativity, largely baseless guesswork as to what the amps issues might be and I don’t understand the point of making it. 

If I made the Lazy Js I’d be a bit miffed about that but the brand is way up in the booooooteek food chain and people who like to fling shit mostly do it upwards. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    edited November 2020
    Hmmm I suspect that is a faulty J20 and is an isolated case. I never had any of those issues when I had mine. Sometimes I wonder what the point or purpose is of these type of videos for the uploader.

Too many very happy / satisfied Lazy j customers to suggest anything other than a great sounding product. At the end of the day though it's all transistors, capacitors, valves and wiring etc. Sometimes they may go wrong in the production process. It's hand built and Jesse is only human  If there were loads of J20s with faults like this then that would be another matter
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16097
    I think the word is Schadenfreude
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Dominic said:
    Ha ha exactly :)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • pmgpmg Frets: 298
    Apparently the same person throws shade on matchless/Badcat build quality too so I’m not sure what he does rate.  I can’t find a video of that though....
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11876
    edited November 2020
    It's one thing for an individual to point fault at a product, it is quite another when one builder publically criticise another when the other isn't there to defend themselves.  Yes, I know it's the internet, but if Jesse posted in that thread it will just add fuel to the fire.

He has opened himself up for other people to pick apart his build when it goes wrong.

But it seems he does that a lot on his page, does he only fix things? 

• poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    Ok... I’ll stick my oar back in... the guys name is Lyle Caldwell and he is (in his own mind) the greatest amp builder EVER...

He does do neat builds, that’s a given, but... he’s so far up his own arse he’s turned into a Möbius strip... a conceited twat full of over exaggerated self belief...

there... said my piece...
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Dominic said:
    What's the German for Schadenfreude?
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6684
    poopot said:
    ... he’s so far up his own arse he’s turned into a Möbius strip... a conceited twat full of over exaggerated self belief...
    Come off the fence. Say what you feel....  ;)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5754
    poopot said:
    Ok... I’ll stick my oar back in... the guys name is Lyle Caldwell and he is (in his own mind) the greatest amp builder EVER...

He does do neat builds, that’s a given, but... he’s so far up his own arse he’s turned into a Möbius strip... a conceited twat full of over exaggerated self belief...

I don’t think you’ve said anything that he’s not advertised in his own video. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Ive not heard Lyles name for years but I remember him for 20 years ago on plexipalace modding AC30s. He was outspoken then.
  • poopot said:

That'd be the same Lyle Caldwell who had a lot of issues in the past with taking money for things that didn't turn up. 

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/psionic-audio-triad-lyle-caldwell-a-all-the-way.549070/

A lot of the older pages on him have gone sadly. Plexi Palace is still missed. 

• PabcranePabcrane Frets: 489
    RickLucas said:
    Dominic said:
    What's the German for Schadenfreude?
    I think it's "Ha!Ha! Fick Dich Fritz!"
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2580
    tFB Trader

Much of what Lyle talks about publicly is often discussed privately between amp builders, but it is poor taste to make a public video like this.

Saying that, I enjoy getting a nosey inside some of the amps I would not normally get the chance to have a look in.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30921
    What a classless video from an absolutely classless person.

This is a guy with a litany of dissatified customers, someone who borrowed off clients and refused to contact them to pay them back, consistantly fails to fulfil orders, then takes in a well worn, used J20, an amp regarded by many as a tonal behemoth, an amp owned by GIlmour, Clapton, Townsend and many more, and randomly points out some noise issues that are common to many well used amps taken in to service.

The lack of knowledge is then comedically illustrated on the trem demo when our clown of an amp guru has no clue of the difference between speed (which it is) and intensity (which it's not) on the footswitch.

I can only assume raw jealousy prompted this video. In other news, Lazy J's waiting list for a J20 is nigh on a year, they sell for new prices all day long and many believe them to be amongst the best sounding amps money can buy.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30921
    @RiftAmps - worth mentioning, with the tFB new functionality, I can see who is LOLing.

Pretty disappointing from someone I considered a mate. As you wish.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • spirit7spirit7 Frets: 338
    (My LOL was a mistake!  This seems entirely unnecessary to me...)
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3159
    tFB Trader
    Gassage said:
    @RiftAmps - worth mentioning, with the tFB new functionality, I can see who is LOLing.
    I'm fully aware of how tFB systems work, thank you James. I have, after all, been a member here for quite some time.

Your post above made me laugh, so I clicked 'LOL'. I have also clicked 'LOL' on this post, as it too made me laugh.

Is that not the point of the LOL button? Perhaps it's not and I missed the memo? Happy to be educated.

If you'd like to enquire as to why I LOL'd at your initial post, I'll explain...

Gassage said:
    The lack of knowledge is then comedically illustrated on the trem demo when our clown of an amp guru has no clue of the difference between speed (which it is) and intensity (which it's not) on the footswitch.

I have, on many occasion, watched you make a Faux Pas on this very forum regarding various details of gear. It happens, people get mixed up, it's no big deal. Clearly, Psionic got confused when talking - and thinking technically about - the external tremolo unit on the J20 whilst simutaneously filming a video for his FB page. Easy to do.

We've all done it, in fact I sometimes mistakingly use the Tremolo and Vibrato monikers interchangeably, to rapturous sniggering from my apprentice.

Your statement above, and it's rather aggressive tone, was in my opinion rather over the top and as such, made me laugh. This warranted a click of the LOL button.

You have my phone number, happy to discuss.
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • Gassage said:

Pretty disappointing from someone I considered a mate. As you wish.
    We both owned these amps haven't we mate, more than once ?!

I don't doubt that any amp can have issues; I had a problem with my reverb switch on my Lazy J, and wanted it serviced generally, so I reached out to Jesse...

To my amazement, he offered to service it for me, and I popped into his house where he makes them !! A warm welcome was received, and I played his 52 (?) Les Paul - and to watch him work and service the amp was really interesting. 

He did talk about the jealousy he feels from some amp makers, and even quoted some who claimed to have worked with him, yet he had never met them....

All I can say, is that he is a top man and fastidious in his application.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom