Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Does anyone remember this article/feature from Guitarist magazine (late 90s/early 00s)?

What's Hot
LoobsLoobs Frets: 3832
edited December 2020 in Guitar
A long, long time ago, someone working at Guitarist magazine - around the year 2000, give or take a couple of years - specced out a custom shop Fender offset and chronicled the whole process in the magazine. It was some kind of purple or blue sparkle, had a weird mix of pickups (lipstick, jaguar & p90) and a maple neck with pearl tuner buttons. Someone on the offset guitars forum is looking for a picture of it. I'm also very curious to see it as from memory it was a really cool guitar! Any leads? Anyone else remember this? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14491
    edited December 2020
    I cannot imagine Marten, Mead or Taylor being that bold. 

I can imagine Burrluck ordering such a thing but my money would be on Bradley.

Probably wisest to ask somebody who worked at Guitarist.

Paging @chrisv ;;
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16734
    edited December 2020
    Yes, I also remember  the squier supersonic came out whilst they were waiting for it  and it was pretty much identical spec other than the pickup choices

It was reverse jag body and reverse big headstock, so pretty close

If my memory is working it was Bradley???

It was purple sparkle
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3832
    edited December 2020
    It wasn't Bradley. It was someone who worked there for a shorter time. Would love to find out. Does anyone here have all those old back issues? 
  • Might have been Jordan McLachlan.  I'll have the issue somewhere, but it's probably at my Dad's.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

That doesn't ring a bell. I seem to remember the guy had dyed blonde hair, but it wasn't Bradley. Bradley is into shred music. 
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2355
    edited December 2020
    It was Dominic someone from memory and I’m sure the project just disappeared from existence and wasn’t chronicled until it’s very end?
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2393
    edited December 2020
    I remember it was a masterbuilt guitar before most people over here knew there was such a thing, and I am pretty certain it was a Gene Baker build. I haven't the magazines to hand, stuck them mostly in storage. It would be maybe 97/98. 
    I was trying to persuade Gene to release his build logs a while back, we're Facebook friends. 
    It was definitely built....remember its pic over a double page. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Yes it was Dominic somebody. We're getting there. And yes it was definitely built! So....would anyone be a legend a dig it out? I would assume also 97 to 98.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22987

I remember it, and I will definitely have the mag somewhere, but not much chance of finding it. 

My house looks a bit like this (only with a lot of guitar cases and empty guitar boxes as well):

Ask the Appraisers Hoarding can be deadly  Ask The Appraisers   arcadianewscom

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dominic Hilton?
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30295
    Sounds ghastly whatever it is!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Loobs said:
    Yes it was Dominic somebody. We're getting there. And yes it was definitely built! So....would anyone be a legend a dig it out? I would assume also 97 to 98.
    I swear I remember them mentioning either this guitar in the supersonic review, or vice versa.   So that puts it 96-97

It did have some odd pickup choices if I remember
    And I think it was over a couple of issues, one design and build.  One final review 
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2355
    Wasn’t it a Jazzmaster body with HSH pickups and a large, reverse headstock?
  • gazrichardsgazrichards Frets: 691
    edited December 2020
    I remember it and remember thinking it was ugly and remember thinking he must be gutted that he could get the squier version for £3k less. 
    97-00 it must have been. I stopped reading it in 2000 if not a little earlier. 
  • xchrisvxchrisv Frets: 573
    I cannot imagine Marten, Mead or Taylor being that bold. 

I can imagine Burrluck ordering such a thing but my money would be on Bradley.

Probably wisest to ask somebody who worked at Guitarist.

Paging @chrisv ;;
    Definitely well before I arrived – I started on the mag in April 2004 aged 23. Time is a fast-moving and terrifying thing. 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14491
    Dominic Hilton?
    Isn't he the one who relocated to the USA and, briefly, contributed to Guitar World or Guitar Player magazine?
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    Yes that name sounds about right. 
    And it wouldn't be earlier than 98. I only started playing in 97...aged 11! Jeez. 
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Remember it very well.  Was a blue offset, a p90 somewhere and perhaps even sparkle blue finish.