Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Does anyone remember this article/feature from Guitarist magazine (late 90s/early 00s)?

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• LoobsLoobs Frets: 3832
    Think I'd prefer the Super-Sonic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3832
    Philly_Q said:
    I wonder if Dominic Hilton still has that guitar?
    Did some snooping, couldn't find anything on him online. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2288
    Loobs said:
    Philly_Q said:
    I wonder if Dominic Hilton still has that guitar?
    Did some snooping, couldn't find anything on him online. 
    There is a writer named Dominic Hilton who now lives in Buenos Aires, Argentina.

https://thecritic.co.uk/author/dominic-hilton/
    https://muckrack.com/dominic-hilton/articles
    https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/author/dominic-hilton/
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14304
    tFB Trader
    1997 Fender Hellecaster Jazz-A-Caster  ChasingGuitarsFENDER MIJ John Jorgenson Signature Hellecaster Strat  Reverb

Slightly off subject - but two odd ball guitars for JohnJorgenson that have influences from different Fender Guitars as per your blue sparkle wonder featured earlier in the post

@keefy - thanks for the dates - I have a host of old Guitarist Mags so will dig those out to re-read those articles 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    1997 Fender Hellecaster Jazz-A-Caster  ChasingGuitarsFENDER MIJ John Jorgenson Signature Hellecaster Strat  Reverb

Slightly off subject - but two odd ball guitars for JohnJorgenson that have influences from different Fender Guitars as per your blue sparkle wonder featured earlier in the post.

Are they in your current stock Mark?
  • horsehorse Frets: 1571
    Loobs said:
    . Half Jag/half Strat
     A Strag?
    tFB Trader
    Keefy said:

Slightly off subject - but two odd ball guitars for JohnJorgenson that have influences from different Fender Guitars as per your blue sparkle wonder featured earlier in the post.

Are they in your current stock Mark?
    I sold a Tele style version about 10 years ago and never seen one in the flesh since

My error on the above - The Tele style was for Will Ray - Called a Jazz A Caster - Sold then for £1200 ish

Never seen a John Jorgensen Strat style

So no not my stock
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    https://reverb.com/uk/item/3480515-fender-will-ray-jazz-a-caster-telecaster-1997-98-gold-leaf

@Keefy - Here is a link to one on Reverb - quirky gold leaf finish

They did a limited edition Eric Clapton Strat with this finish a while ago as well - https://wildwestguitars.com/electric/fender-cs-todd-krause-masterbuilt-clapton-gold-leaf
  • Yup, remember this very well. 

A younger me thought the Super-Sonic was about the coolest production guitar I'd ever seen. 
    Loved Dominic's custom build, but remember being astounded that he'd spent far, far more than the deposit on my first house. 

Guitarist magazine was hugely influential;
    My first electric was a Squier Tele Custom II, purely based on their review. 
    I even phoned them up and spoke to a member of the editorial team who reassured me it would be a great choice as a first guitar. 
    I still have it and play it regularly. 

Great thread, thanks folks. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2392
    Philly_Q said:
    Strat54 said:
    I've impressed myself remembering that it was a Gene Baker build. @Philly_Q Go spec that guitar today and you can add on another £3k. Gene alone would have built that guitar too from the raw materials up, not like today now that a lot of the work is done by assistants to the Masterbuilders. 

Yeah, I'm sure you're right.  My custom-specced Strat only cost £2,700 five or six years ago, but it's not Masterbuilt.

I didn't remember Gene Baker being a Fender builder.

Yep, Buddy Guy's Polka-dot Strat was one of his builds. John Suhr was a masterbuilder too before setting up on his own. Most of the good guys left when Mike Eldred took over from John Page and the bean counters made them share out building tasks and up production numbers seven-fold...$$$$.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    So .... am I the only one that really likes it?

Big thumbs up from me, I'm keeping the scans!
    axisus said:

Yes. Yes you are.
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    edited December 2020
    axisus said:

I think it’s a infinitely more interesting than the seemingly endless stream of relic Strats & Teles that constitute the bulk output of the Fender Custom Shop
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22986
    WezV said:
    Loobs said:
    The pickguard is pretty cool somehow. Half Jag/half Strat. Also the Super Sonic was over £550 back in 1998! Jeez
    No, it was rrp £550 in 97, Street prices of about £450... then I remember it being sold off at about £200 by the end of 98
    @WezV well remembered! 

I've just looked mine up - bought (new) for £179.99 in August 1998.  Sold four years later for £175.00.  That's practically a profit!
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16733
    DrBob said:
    axisus said:

I think it’s a infinitely more interesting than the seemingly endless stream of relic Strats & Teles that constitute the bulk output of the Fender Custom Shop
    Exactly the sort of stuff I like seeing from the custom shop.   It's not my idea  of the ideal spec, but I didn't order it.

Things like this in Guitarist indirectly led to me looking into partscasters and eventually building my own stuff... since the CS was out of my price range

Philly_Q said:
    WezV said:
    Loobs said:
    The pickguard is pretty cool somehow. Half Jag/half Strat. Also the Super Sonic was over £550 back in 1998! Jeez
    No, it was rrp £550 in 97, Street prices of about £450... then I remember it being sold off at about £200 by the end of 98
    @WezV well remembered! 

I've just looked mine up - bought (new) for £179.99 in August 1998.  Sold four years later for £175.00.  That's practically a profit!
    Was yours the blue one?  If so you did well as I remember the white and black being about £180 but the blue and silver being £20 more.   
    WezV said:
    DrBob said:
    axisus said:

Exactly the sort of stuff I like seeing from the custom shop.   It's not my idea  of the ideal spec, but I didn't order it.

I realise I completely missed the point with my earlier ‘meh’ comment. The guitar wasn’t built to make me happy, it was built to the exact specs of Dominic Hilton, and he was clearly well chuffed with it.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14487

Slightly off subject - but two odd ball guitars for JohnJorgenson that have influences from different Fender Guitars as per your blue sparkle wonder featured earlier in the post
    PEDANTRY CORNER
    The gold sparkle guitar is a signature model for Jorgenson's Hellecaster colleague, Will Ray.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22986
    WezV said:
    Philly_Q said:
    WezV said:
    Loobs said:
    @WezV well remembered! 

Was yours the blue one?  If so you did well as I remember the white and black being about £180 but the blue and silver being £20 more.   
    Yes, it was the blue one!  It was nicely made but I remember all the hardware and electronics looked and felt really cheap - let it down a bit.