SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Tokai LS80 (SOLD); Epi Les Paul Custom (SOLD)

What's Hot
pjfpjf Frets: 331
edited January 2021 in Guitars £
I bought both of these guitars earlier this year through the Classifieds but it's now time to move them on, (1) because I'm in the process of buying a new house and (2) because try as I might, I'm simply not a Les Paul kind of player!

Links to the original sale threads are included below. Covid-appropriate collection (or meet-up / delivery, within reason) preferred, but I can post at cost once I get hold of a suitable box.

First is the rather awesome LS80 (**SOLD**):

Full album: https://imgur.com/a/l7RcXZ1
Original sale thread: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/183472/fs-1982-tokai-ls80-made-in-japan-sold

I imported this one to France (where I was living at the time - June 2020). The pickups weren’t working properly on arrival so it came back to the UK with me in July and went straight to the excellent Jon Haire in Peterborough for a full service and set-up, £120. It now plays perfectly and sounds exactly like a Les Paul should (or it would do, in the hands of a halfway competent player). I took another electric back to France so it's been sat in its Lifton '59 re-issue case in Lincolnshire virtually unplayed since the summer. 

Beautiful one-piece carved top, nitro finish. Lovely dark rosewood fretboard. Frets are in excellent condition (partial fret dress at last service). Pickups upgraded with a Gibson 57 classic in the neck and Seymour Duncan SH6 on the bridge. Also features a bone nut and orange drop capacitors.

The top looks unblemished in some of the above pics but this does have marks and dings from being well played over the past 40 years or so! Ad now updated with better daylight photos.

I'm happy to eat the necessary repair and set-up costs but would like to get what I paid for it, £1300.

Now £1250 ono.

Now just £1150, bit of a bargain to be honest. **NOW SOLD**

Next is the Epi Les Paul Custom (**SOLD**):
Full album: https://imgur.com/gallery/WeQBJIp
Original sale thread: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/183325/fs-epiphone-les-paul-custom-black-2002-korean-sold#latest
2002 model from the Samick factory. The "Just In Case" case is surprisingly good quality. Please see the full album for a photo of a tiny indention on the second fret by the high e (not been an issue for me). Paid £310 on account of the extra cost and effort for postage and packaging, but the last advertised price was £295 inc delivery. Happy to call it £240 for a quick sale  **NOW SOLD**
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mark123mark123 Frets: 1325
    Hi i'm ready to say yes for the epiphone custom .

But a couple of niggling questions .

Has the fretboard been darkened ? and if so does it come off on your fingers ?

No2 , the fret indentation around the high e string ,does the string catch in it, or stick in it when playing ?
    can you feel it when bending a string ? 

cheers
    Mark
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • skikdi53skikdi53 Frets: 198
    Nice Tokai,
    Is that black? what are the PU please?
  • skikdi53skikdi53 Frets: 198
    Isn't that Tokai 1981 and not 1982?
  • pjfpjf Frets: 331
    edited December 2020
    mark123 said:
    Hi i'm ready to say yes for the epiphone custom .

But a couple of niggling questions .

Has the fretboard been darkened ? and if so does it come off on your fingers ?

No2 , the fret indentation around the high e string ,does the string catch in it, or stick in it when playing ?
    can you feel it when bending a string ? 

cheers
    Mark
    Hi Mark, no prob. Responding in turn:

1) Not to my knowledge, and no, it doesn't come off.
    2) It is a bit of a non-issue to be honest; I only pointed it out because it was pointed out to me by the original seller on here. 

skikdi53 said:
    Nice Tokai,
    Is that black? what are the PU please?
    Hi, good question. The Tokai has a Gibson '57 classic in the neck and Seymour Duncan SH6 on the bridge, bone nut and orange drop capacitors. I've updated the ad to reflect this. 
    skikdi53 said:
    Isn't that Tokai 1981 and not 1982?
    Not to my knowledge but happy to be corrected! I don't know much about these guitars at all I'm afraid, I'm just going off what the original seller said. 
  • apenkoapenko Frets: 36
    From serial number I would say it is 1981 :) 
  • mark123mark123 Frets: 1325
    Pm'ed
  • Old LS80s are great. Any trades?
    Old LS80s are great. Any trades?
    It is a superb guitar. I am really looking to sell rather than trade but never say never - PM me and the worst I can say is no! :)
  • I've had plenty of LS80s and LS100s through my hands from this time period. Expect this to handle and sound as good as a R8 or R9 if you can get over the fact it doesn't say Gibson on the headstock.
    1979 Tokai TE-85
    1980 Tokai LS-80
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
    Bump for the LS80.
    edited December 2020
    Another bump for the Tokai - thanks for all interest so far!
    Pre-Christmas bump and price drop on the LS80. 
    Another bump for the Tokai. Superb instrument and lovely to play (I lost most of yesterday afternoon playing it). But needs must! 

Guitar weighs bang on 9 lbs for those asking.

A couple of snaps from this morning:

edited December 2020
    Tough post-Christmas crowd so another price drop on the Tokai, I'll now take £1150 (plus any postage costs). 

Had some interesting trade offers but have to prioritise a sale!
    Bump. Now based in south-west London.
    Tokai sold pending the usual.