I read the news today, oh boy... John Lennon, December 8th 1980

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14472
    axisus said:
    it seems like he was a pretty unpleasant bloke, which has coloured my opinion somewhat.
    An unhappy childhood may explain some of that. The wife beating was synchronous with his alcoholic "lost weekend" period.

It would appear that the capacity of the general public to forgive (or turn a blind eye) depends upon how much emotional investment they have in a given artiste.

‘Starting Over’ was the single which was out at the time of his death and - for me - a frankly disappointing return.
    I agree that the Double Fantasy and Milk And Honey material was mostly disappointing. This was inevitable when expectations for the comeback were so high.

My reaction then and now is that the praises heaped on the majority of the latterday material were disproportionate.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72427
    Funkfingers said:

An unhappy childhood may explain some of that. The wife beating was synchronous with his alcoholic "lost weekend" period. 

It would appear that the capacity of the general public to forgive (or turn a blind eye) depends upon how much emotional investment they have in a given artiste.
    He was certainly flawed. I wouldn't turn a blind eye to it, but there are degrees, and there can be reasons which may explain (not excuse) some behaviour.

In Lennon's case don't think he gets a free pass, but he doesn't strike me as a fundamentally bad person. I would admit to having some emotional investment in his songwriting though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom