Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Strung Out Guitars Glasgow - break-in, £30K of guitars stolen

What's Hot

Comments

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5424
    Booo. Sorry to hear this. Hopefully the perp(s) gets nabbed!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Was in there in August 2019 in the hope of bumping into the legendary @ICBM - lovely ‘old school’ guitar shop. Really sorry to hear this - hope the stock is recovered.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6684
    People can be so f**king vile when they want. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72364
    Was in there in August 2019 in the hope of bumping into the legendary @ICBM - lovely ‘old school’ guitar shop. Really sorry to hear this - hope the stock is recovered.
    Thanks Richard.

Having seen a pic of the wall hangers I can’t imagine most of them are in a condition to be worth having back, to be honest. Apparently some of the guitars that weren’t taken were damaged as well. These might also possibly need to be written off since they’re almost all commission sales, so the owners will have to be paid. The shop are insured for that so it hopefully won’t be a financial loss.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15962
    ICBM said:
    Was in there in August 2019 in the hope of bumping into the legendary @ICBM - lovely ‘old school’ guitar shop. Really sorry to hear this - hope the stock is recovered.
    Thanks Richard.

Having seen a pic of the wall hangers I can’t imagine most of them are in a condition to be worth having back, to be honest. Apparently some of the guitars that weren’t taken were damaged as well. These might also possibly need to be written off since they’re almost all commission sales, so the owners will have to be paid. The shop are insured for that so it hopefully won’t be a financial loss.

That's a lot of hurt
    tae be or not tae be
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14434
    ICBM said:. 
    Hopefully, they're also stupid enough not to know that trying to sell near-unique, probably damaged high-end guitars with no cases is likely to mean the guitars are near enough worthless, and how obvious they will be to anyone else in the trade.
    Junkies don't care. They will steal anything to finance the next hit.

The stolen guitars could take the "bought off a man in a pub" route. It would be the purchasers who get their collars felt when they attempt to sell the guitars on or trade them in.

Astute retailers ask for the guitars to be left with them for evaluation. Then, they report the matter to the local constabulary - ideally, with good CCTV images of the person(s) who brought the guitars along.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Hope they catch the assholes who did it.
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Seen this on Facebook today.  Hope you're ok mate.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72364

Astute retailers ask for the guitars to be left with them for evaluation. Then, they report the matter to the local constabulary - ideally, with good CCTV images of the person(s) who brought the guitars along.
    Yes, a couple that were taken in the past by the ‘grab and run’ method when the shop was open were recovered like that, and the thieves caught.

We will wait and see with these idiots... apparently they left fingerprints everywhere as well - police forensics coming tomorrow to collect evidence. Seems like they made the mistake of making it a high-value newsworthy crime too.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10225
    edited December 2020
    I’d hope the stock is insured though right? No insurance can fix the feeling of being violated like that. 
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2326
    edited December 2020
    Awful - so sorry 
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2594
    edited December 2020
    So sorry to hear about this - always liked the vibe in this shop and the one time I had a long chat with one of the owners she seemed extremely likeable. I hope things are resolved with minimum damage, and soon.

“To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    That's awful. Will keep an eye out.
  • So sorry to hear that, John. :(

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• that's some noticeable guitars they've stolen, maybe they'll pop up on FB or try to move them on in a different town?
    keep an eye out lads
  • camfcamf Frets: 1191
    Aw John. that's grim news. Great shop with very nice people. Hope it all works out for everyone concerned. 
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4983
    Sorry to hear about the break in John.  Hope everything works out for the best.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• rocktronrocktron Frets: 806
    I hope no reputable music stores, pawn shops, cash converters, etc., accept them for resale. Unfortunately, there are lots of unscrupulous people about.

With music venues closed, they may be difficult to shift in a pub carpark from the back of a van.

Best of luck in getting them recovered. 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14267
    tFB Trader
    Just found out I'd sold a couple of those guitars in the past to a customer I sometimes deal with in Glasgow
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1481
    Sorry to hear about that.  Having the guitars damaged and the hangers broken shows that the guys had no respect for the instruments and were only looking at the price tag.  When I was at JSG we lost a couple of vintage strats because they were by the door (where we could keep an eye on them), and someone forced the door and reached in and took the first guitars, as the alarm was going.  Back in those days, it was rare to get anything back (even though we knew the guys in the trade in the area).  The really annoying thing for me back then was that I had just saved up enough to buy one of them (an olymic white slab rosewood), to say nothing of having to fix up the door too.

I hope you guys can find the thieves and hopefully not all of the guitars are damaged.