Logic f£&king about!... help!

poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
edited January 2021 in Studio & Recording
Morning Jedi...

for some inexplicable reason, over the last week or so, logic has started playing silly buggers.

it’s randomly “stuttering” during both playback and record...for a few seconds... the only way I can describe it is it’s like a CD skipping...

It’s doing this completely at random and it makes no difference if I have a project with 1 track or 100 tracks!...

im not getting any “your Mac is crap” messages... I’ve watched the cpu monitor and no spikes when it happens... makes no odds if the project is on the HD or external disk... doesn’t make a difference if the project is self contained or a folder and nothing has been changed recently.

been through all the usual and can’t get to the bottom of it...

Mojave and the latest version of logic...

any ideas?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33848
    Trash your Logic preferences.
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    octatonic said:
    Hadn’t thought of that... doh!... will give that a bash.
    octatonic said:
    Before I bin the prefs file... will this remove my midi controller assignments? Can I save those separately?
    Prefs deleted...

still doing it!...
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33848
    So when I trash preferences I move them to a removable device, so I can put them back if necessary.

Can you do a video screen record of it happening.
    Have you inadvertently enabled MMC or External midi control?
    Any issue with sample rate in the session?

Does it happen with a brand new session, or just ones you have already created?
  • WiresDreamDisastersWiresDreamDisasters Frets: 16664
    edited December 2020
    Buffer size or sample-rate changes? Anything been installed recently? Any other bitt of gear been connected or disconnected? What's the CPU usage look like in activity monitor?

Bye!

The prefs are long gone now...

Its happening with any project... new or existing...

No to MMC etc.

Sample rate is 48k in all projects.

I cant video it unless i set up a video to run non stop... its that intermittent..

Buffer size or sample-rate changes? Anything been installed recently? Any other bitt of gear been connected or disconnected? What's the CPU usage look like in activity monitor?
    even tried setting the buffer to 1028 just for playback, no inputs on tracks... nothing new connected for weeks... CPU is about 50% with a heavy project...
  • 77ric77ric Frets: 539
    Is the internal HD an SSD or an old fashioned spinning platters job? 
    77ric said:
    Is the internal HD an SSD or an old fashioned spinning platters job? 
    Not ssd but it’s been through disk doctor... all is good there.
  • 77ric77ric Frets: 539
    Hmm, well that was my last idea. I think everything else has been covered. 
    I think my USB hub may be on the way out and causing issues... 12tb of raid disappeared and reappeared this morning... and Ive just had "loading project" come up midway through a session and had to reselect my interfaces in prefs.... That said, the interfaces are not connected to the hub anyway... this has me stumped.
  • Yeah but if the USB hub shares the same USB bus as the audio interface, and the USB hub is doing dicky power things to the bus, then that could affect the audio interface for sure.

Bye!

• andy_kandy_k Frets: 821
    Have you got auto update turned on, on your mac? there have been a few updates recently.
  • Have you tried reseting your NVRAM, PRAM, and SMC? These can cause (especially SMC) things like USB drives and Interfaces to disappear and drop out.
    andy_k said:
    Have you got auto update turned on, on your mac? there have been a few updates recently.
    Nope

Have you tried reseting your NVRAM, PRAM, and SMC? These can cause (especially SMC) things like USB drives and Interfaces to disappear and drop out.
    Yep tried all the usual.

Im guessing its the dodgy hub... will unplug and see if it stops.
    Revisiting this...

it’s not just logic!... this morning I opened the standalone version of S gear and was playing along to a track on YouTube...

Midway through, exactly the same thing... it like a cd skipping!!!! 

Wtf could this be? I’ve unplugged everything bar the interface... could the core audio be buggered????

Any ideas?

I know it might be a long shot, but maybe try Reaper?, see if it has the same problems, and might get you converted along the way.
    My Macbook has been doing weird shutdowns too recently, I'm on Mojave I think, and don't really want to go any newer.
    Thought it was because my Scarlett was using hub, seemed to have got better by having it plugged directly into Mac, 2 ports, one is hub with mouse, external drives, Ilok, other is now Scarlett.
    Sometimes Mac will just re-boot when opening a project, but once it is up and running problems have been scarcer.
    andy_k said:
    I know it might be a long shot, but maybe try Reaper?, see if it has the same problems, and might get you converted along the way.
    My Macbook has been doing weird shutdowns too recently, I'm on Mojave I think, and don't really want to go any newer.
    Thought it was because my Scarlett was using hub, seemed to have got better by having it plugged directly into Mac, 2 ports, one is hub with mouse, external drives, Ilok, other is now Scarlett.
    Sometimes Mac will just re-boot when opening a project, but once it is up and running problems have been scarcer.
    It’s not a logic problem... 

as I found out, it’s doing it with standalone apps...

im wondering if it’s Mojave and Scarlett issue... (thought I was running Catalina but not on that Mac)

im sure it’s something to do with the core audio... I unplugged everything usb apart from the interface and mouse/keyboard and it still does it...
    My own issues are equally frustrating, it was doing it annoyingly regularly when I had my scarlett connected via hub, just started after about 2 years of working fine.
    I swapped over the ilok and the scarlett and it has mostly been fine, except yesterday the whole machine crashed loading up a session.
    My sessions are on a 2tb rust drive in my cd bay, and the system is on a 512ssd. Once it rebooted it worked fine.
    Today, it has just been working fine, but I'm not doing anything heavy duty,  the other day I finished up the new year mix challenge with no issues- which had some pretty heavy duty stuff going on.
    I love my MBP, and it is going to be tough to replace it, 13 inch 2012 model.
    At least with Reaper, I can share my work across to an Asus Zenbook that I got to do mobile recording sessions with, only 4 gig ram but it has an i7 proc, and runs on SSD, but I honestly think the machine will be dead by the time we get back to being able to do any work with it.
    I have backup machines for both Win and Mac, but haven't been keeping them up to date, Mac is stuck at Catalina, and I'm dreading the updates on the Win machine.
    When it all works, it just works, but when it doesn't it is painful trying to diagnose the issue.