I can't get my head around 7/4 timing

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    Whistler said:
    For Pink Floyd's Money I would suggest counting 12345 12 or 12 123 12
    Also, if it's any help / comforting even David Gilmour had trouble with Money's timing issue. That's why the guitar solo goes into 4/4 because David could play to it better.

True story which I read somewhere ;)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • viz said:
    jpfamps said:
    Fight!

I was in the right, yes, absolutely in the right. I certainly was in the right. That geezer is cruising for a bruising.
    Ha ha, I'm far too old for that playground stuff anymore.

Money is a descending pattern of crotchet, dotted quaver-semiquaver, crotchet, before a four crotchet rising figure. There is a strong feeling of stopping on the third beat crotchet before the rising figure ie 3, 2, 2.
    The beauty of these uneven time signatures is that they can be ambiguous, that's their thing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10694
    stratcat said:
    viz said:
    jpfamps said:
    Fight!

I was in the right, yes, absolutely in the right. I certainly was in the right. That geezer is cruising for a bruising.
    Ha ha, I'm far too old for that playground stuff anymore.

Money is a descending pattern of crotchet, dotted quaver-semiquaver, crotchet, before a four crotchet rising figure. There is a strong feeling of stopping on the third beat crotchet before the rising figure ie 3, 2, 2.
    The beauty of these uneven time signatures is that they can be ambiguous, that's their thing.
    and just to be 100% clear, my quote was taken from the speech bit at the end of Money - I don't really think you're cruising for  a bruising!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    I was trying to work this out earlier and doing it by feel is okay and I'm counting it in bits. 
    I suppose it must have some time signatures but I'm not sure what they are.
    And even though I've known this song for nearly 40 years I hadn't noticed the time signature thing*

Siouxsie and The Banshees, Into The Light

*someone's gonna tell me it's 4/4 and I'm counting it arse upwards

• DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5467
    You know it's just counting to seven, right?