Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

buying from Thomann, Bax etc post Brexit

What's Hot

Comments

• FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    I spoke to somebody at Bax who said they don't think duty is being charged yet. They also have a UK address, but I'm not convinced this is what is happening.
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1962
    Freebird said:
    I spoke to somebody at Bax who said they don't think duty is being charged yet. They also have a UK address, but I'm not convinced this is what is happening.
    I think it's a bit vague. The UK authorities have openly stated that they are not looking to enforce the new regime on EU imports for a period of 6 months with the sole purpose of avoiding chaos at the ports. I suspect what they mean by this is not going through rigorous checks at the border for trucks entering the country. Does that mean that Customs and Excise won't be applying any scrutiny over parcels entering the UK from EU? I suspect that we are in a "luck dip" phase where consumers may strike it lucky but won't be able to complain if they do get caught out.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11883
    There is always going to be an element of lucky dip as they will never bel able to check 100% of the parcels coming through.  The larger and heavier it is, the more chance of getting tax and duties applied.

I would think right now there would be a higher chance of getting it lucky when they are still getting to grips with everything.

• I've got a bit of an awkward one, in that I pre-ordered the new Harley Benton power amp in November. It was shipped on 20th December, and I'm (predictably) yet to receive it.

So...it was purchased and shipped before Brexit, but will be delivered after Brexit. I have no idea where that leaves me.
    Almost the same here but, My GPA 100 shipped
    on the 19th of December from Thomann via DHL. Tracking updates stopped coming on Christmas Eve. 

After waiting  patiently I eventually checked  my Thomann account last Thursday to find a credit on my account - as the consignment was mysteriously returned to Thomann. 

Have you checked with Thomann ? 
    Yeah - mine's actually being delivered today. How weird.
    I have to admit to being a little covetous. I had told myself I do not need this...but I so want it.  

Would you be so kind as to write your initial review/opinions in a NAD/NPAD/NHBPAD type post?

I'd also be interested to check if you had to pay any extra in duties/handling fees etc... (which of course you shouldn't due to the value being under £135) 
  • I've got a bit of an awkward one, in that I pre-ordered the new Harley Benton power amp in November. It was shipped on 20th December, and I'm (predictably) yet to receive it.

So...it was purchased and shipped before Brexit, but will be delivered after Brexit. I have no idea where that leaves me.
    Almost the same here but, My GPA 100 shipped
    on the 19th of December from Thomann via DHL. Tracking updates stopped coming on Christmas Eve. 

After waiting  patiently I eventually checked  my Thomann account last Thursday to find a credit on my account - as the consignment was mysteriously returned to Thomann. 

Have you checked with Thomann ? 
    Yeah - mine's actually being delivered today. How weird.
    I have to admit to being a little covetous. I had told myself I do not need this...but I so want it.  

Would you be so kind as to write your initial review/opinions in a NAD/NPAD/NHBPAD type post?

I'd also be interested to check if you had to pay any extra in duties/handling fees etc... (which of course you shouldn't due to the value being under £135) 
    Yep, will do when I've tested it (and, of course, I can't test at anywhere near proper volume). Didn't have to pay anything extra, though.
    <space for hire>
  • Ordered a £22 item, (+£8 p&p) from them a couple of days ago, 20% vat was added at the checkout, no mention when ordering of anything to pay in customs fees when the parcel hits the UK, so will be annoyed if I do get slapped with additional  fees.
    They definitely need to get a UK warehouse. 

I got a UPS update early last week implying that my parcel was in the UK and would be delivered 15th Jan. Heard nothing, then Monday I got a message saying it would be a week late (22nd Jan).

Today another message - saying it will now arrive on the 26th instead!

And the tracking had been updated to say that it is still in Germany as of today!!

• JasonJason Frets: 1103
    tFB Trader
    Ordered a £22 item, (+£8 p&p) from them a couple of days ago, 20% vat was added at the checkout, no mention when ordering of anything to pay in customs fees when the parcel hits the UK, so will be annoyed if I do get slapped with additional  fees.

I got a UPS update early last week implying that my parcel was in the UK and would be delivered 15th Jan. Heard nothing, then Monday I got a message saying it would be a week late (22nd Jan).

And the tracking had been updated to say that it is still in Germany as of today!!

I've had exactly the same thing, 3 different delivery days, still not arrived. UPS tracking now says Thursday.
    The Guitar Show, Cranmore Park, Birmingham | Website | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | Podcast
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Ordered a £22 item, (+£8 p&p) from them a couple of days ago, 20% vat was added at the checkout, no mention when ordering of anything to pay in customs fees when the parcel hits the UK, so will be annoyed if I do get slapped with additional  fees.

Tell you what, if I was getting orders for £22, I’d be opening a UK warehouse ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Jason said:

I've had exactly the same thing, 3 different delivery days, still not arrived. UPS tracking now says Thursday.
    Have you received yours?

Mine's over 2 weeks late now, the UPS tracking keeps moving the delivery date every few days, saying it will arrive TOMORROW(!), citing the reason 'Brexit related issues' yet according to the tracking the parcel has not moved from Frankfurt in the last 2 weeks.

There's a severe chance my pedalboard build might actually be finished before this power supply arrives ;)

• DoctorXDoctorX Frets: 367
    I ordered a speaker from German site Tube-Town.net last Monday and it arrived this morning. I’m not sure if I just got lucky but there were no charges or anything.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11940
    I've got a bit of an awkward one, in that I pre-ordered the new Harley Benton power amp in November. It was shipped on 20th December, and I'm (predictably) yet to receive it.

should be no tax to pay, if the post ask for it, they are mistaken, the law says that orders paid for before Brexit are not affected
  • DoctorX said:
    I ordered a speaker from German site Tube-Town.net last Monday and it arrived this morning. I’m not sure if I just got lucky but there were no charges or anything.
    interesting, what courier did they use? I'm guessing it probably wasn't UPS!
  • wolsnahwolsnah Frets: 190
    I'm wanting to buy something from Bax but also have concerns over unplanned import duty and handling costs. I've emailed them and gone through their contact us page but am yet to receive a response as to whether or not I'll get stung for extra costs. I only emailed yesterday morning and the contact us was done at the weekend so quite early for a response but I'll report back if I hear anything concrete from them.
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3055
    I bought a power attenuator from Thomann. Took a week to arrive, was expecting much worse TBH
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited February 2021
    wolsnah said:
    I'm wanting to buy something from Bax but also have concerns over unplanned import duty and handling costs. I've emailed them and gone through their contact us page but am yet to receive a response as to whether or not I'll get stung for extra costs. I only emailed yesterday morning and the contact us was done at the weekend so quite early for a response but I'll report back if I hear anything concrete from them.
    They reply fairly quickly on Twitter.

Let us know what they say.
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    edited February 2021
    Freebird said:
    wolsnah said:
    They reply fairly quickly on Twitter.

Let us know what they say.
    Call them, there’s a Uk number on the contact us page
  • www.musik-produktiv.com appear to have got their act together for what it's worth - I emailed them to enquire about their listed prices in regards to Brexit and they confirmed "Everything is included in the price and there should be no further costs for you."

Of course that doesn't mean there won't be the same delays etc at the border, just that the prices should be a bit more transparent.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11883
    edited February 2021
    JamieLF said:
    www.musik-produktiv.com appear to have got their act together for what it's worth - I emailed them to enquire about their listed prices in regards to Brexit and they confirmed "Everything is included in the price and there should be no further costs for you."

Of course that doesn't mean there won't be the same delays etc at the border, just that the prices should be a bit more transparent.
    How do they guarantee that that HMRC won't charge VAT or Duty?

They can't, there is no way they can.  It is out of their control, and thus I take that "promise" as sales talk and nothing more.  Unless they specifically say any tax and duty incur will be refunded.

Or that they keep UK stock, that is the only way they can get around it.
  • DoctorXDoctorX Frets: 367
    edited February 2021
    DoctorX said:
    interesting, what courier did they use? I'm guessing it probably wasn't UPS!
    I think it was just the German postal service, Deutsche Post. I got a tracking number for the DHL site but it was actually Parcelforce that delivered it, which is all a bit odd.
  • wolsnahwolsnah Frets: 190
    I've just seen  on twitter for Bax which seems to indicate there'll be no further charges.