Modern attenuators: HELP!!!!!

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• NerineNerine Frets: 2163
    Benm39 said:
    I've a Tone King Iron Man 2 mini, which can handle amps upto 30w and it's great (and not exactly mini in size either lol)
    Well, that’s interesting an’ all, but probably not ideal for a 100w 2555 SL, then. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Benm39Benm39 Frets: 707
    edited January 2021
    Nerine said:
    Benm39 said:
    I've a Tone King Iron Man 2 mini, which can handle amps upto 30w and it's great (and not exactly mini in size either lol)
    Well, that’s interesting an’ all, but probably not ideal for a 100w 2555 SL, then. 
    Quite so,  albeit it was posted in light of the post above re its 'big brother' to indicate I've found the Tone King attenuation to be fine... I.e I was trying to be helpful in line with OP request...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Johan is a big fan of the Powerbrake. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72364
    Johan is a big fan of the Powerbrake. 
    Agree.

However, the Hotplate 'killed' the Powerbrake with my Mesa Trem-o-verb. It's very much a case of the interaction between the amp and the attenuator making it not a 'one size fits all' solution.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• russpmrusspm Frets: 443
    I compared the onboard Ironman II on my Tone King Imperial MKII with the Fryette PS2 and with that amp they were very close. I’d say the PS2 just edged it as you are not stuck with the preset clicky settings. I’d also say the PS2 had the edge when the attenuator was at the lowest volume settings.
  • russpmrusspm Frets: 443
    Just noticed there is a Marshall Power Brake on eBay, a bit pricey though.
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1445
    edited January 2021
    russpm said:
    They've gone crazy in the last 12 months. You could pick them up for £100-120 around a year ago. £300+ is a joke.  Someone will start cloning them soon and make a killing.

I blame @ICBM for going on about them all the time. I bet he's got a couple of hundred of them tucked away in his garage. ;-)
  • Dodge said:
    russpm said:
    They've gone crazy in the last 12 months. You could pick them up for £100-120 around a year ago. £300+ is a joke.  Someone will start cloning them soon and make a killing.

I blame @ICBM for going on about them all the time. I bet he's got a couple of hundred of them tucked away in his garage. ;-)
    They were going THAT cheap last year?
    I paid over £200 used about 12 years ago, cost more than my amp!

Best bit of gear I’ve ever bought though.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72364
    Dodge said:

I really hope Marshall see the prices and reissue them.

It's probably not easy for a small maker to copy since the key component is the expensive custom auto-transformer.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• CHrisP86CHrisP86 Frets: 360
    Does anyone have experience using the power brake with modern Marshall’s? I’m thinking specifically the DSL and JVM.
  • CHrisP86 said:
    Does anyone have experience using the power brake with modern Marshall’s? I’m thinking specifically the DSL and JVM.
    I now have a power brake too and am using it with my 1996 Slash head 

It’s outstanding 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • adaminoadamino Frets: 128
    I use my Power Brake with my Marshall Origin 50 C.
    Works like a dream and provides plenty of head room too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom