Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

New fender amps

What's Hot
melodmelod Frets: 136
Very interested in the Vibro  champ and micro gt. Seems fender eventually took notice at the ridiculous 2nd hand prices for these small amps.

https://guitar.com/news/gear-news/fender-announces-three-new-amplifiers-for-2021-the-68-custom-pro-reverb-the-68-custom-vibro-champ-reverb-and-the-mustang-micro/

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• oooh I wouldn't mind hearing what that vibrochamp sounds like. Bit pricey, mind you.
    Click here to see me butchering some classic solos!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • melodmelod Frets: 136
    oooh I wouldn't mind hearing what that vibrochamp sounds like. Bit pricey, mind you.
    Looking forward to the hot thread about the “ultra-luxe” guitars too . :) 
  • tomajohatomajoha Frets: 906
    For less money I’d rather have an original Pro Reverb, having said that you might spend the difference on chiropractor bills (I have loaded mine with a gold and tone tubby red so it’s mostly my own fault). My experience of the recent reissue silverfaces is they don’t hold a candle to the originals even MV models, they just seem noisy and stuff to me.

Now let me just sit down and rest my back...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72330
    tomajoha said:

My experience of the recent reissue silverfaces is they don’t hold a candle to the originals even MV models, they just seem noisy and stuff to me.
    That's because they're not reissues - they're versions of the '65 reissues that have been buggered around with.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    tomajoha said:

My experience of the recent reissue silverfaces is they don’t hold a candle to the originals even MV models, they just seem noisy and stuff to me.
    That's because they're not reissues - they're versions of the '65 reissues that have been buggered around with.
    Ha I’m not known for my knowledge @ICBM - just my Ox like back strength ;)

Also stuff should read stiff
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tomajoha said:

You own a 135W ultra-linear Twin Reverb with Gauss speakers and I claim my £5 :).

The irony about the '68 "reissues" is that not only are they not reissues of any amp Fender actually made back then, they're buggered around with in the exact opposite direction Fender were going in the late 60s... real '68s were intended to be *cleaner* than '65s and had several circuit changes to achieve that.

The '68 'Custom' series has reduced negative feedback and other changes to make them distort more, and earlier - but which also increases noise. (As well as cheap Celestion speakers, to... make them sound a bit crap.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    tomajoha said:

You own a 135W ultra-linear Twin Reverb with Gauss speakers and I claim my £5 :).

The irony about the '68 "reissues" is that not only are they not reissues of any amp Fender actually made back then, they're buggered around with in the exact opposite direction Fender were going in the late 60s... real '68s were intended to be *cleaner* than '65s and had several circuit changes to achieve that.

The '68 'Custom' series has reduced negative feedback and other changes to make them distort more, and earlier - but which also increases noise. (As well as cheap Celestion speakers, to... make them sound a bit crap.)
    Don’t make me buy that Sound City as a show of strength  :)
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Looks like the Champ has digital reverb, fine but weird they chose a hall instead of a spring emulation.
    dindude said:
    Looks like the Champ has digital reverb, fine but weird they chose a hall instead of a spring emulation.
    I’ve never understood the choices of digital reverb types in a lot of amps which use it.

• dindude said:
    I really fancied one of these Vibro Champs but that choice puts me right off. 

Plus, £800 probably gets you an original Vibrochamp if you're patient enough... 

A *lot* less than that if you’re patient. I wouldn’t even pay £800 if I wanted one right now.

• dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Yeah I don’t really see how this can be more expensive to make than a Blues Junior, if it were £499 that would be about right and still not cheap.
    edited January 2021
    dindude said:
    Yeah I don’t really see how this can be more expensive to make than a Blues Junior, if it were £499 that would be about right and still not cheap.
    It’s not how much it costs to make, it’s how much they think they can sell it for. Small valve amps are now very fashionable and no longer seen as the poor relation to larger models.

And Fender has a roughly one billion dollar debt to service...

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11875
    edited January 2021
    What's the difference to this £800 champ tot he £1050 Tweed one? Besides the built in digital reverb.  Different era reissue?
    What's the difference to this £800 champ tot he £1050 Tweed one? Besides the built in digital reverb.  Different era reissue?
    The Tweed one is hand wired.

• ICBM said:

A *lot* less than that if you’re patient. I wouldn’t even pay £800 if I wanted one right now.
    I've been half-assedly looking for a champ/vibrochamp for most of the last year; the prices have really got stupid. I think you'd struggle to go below £800 which is pretty nuts. 

I personally find it really odd that you can't buy a modern champ reissue / clone / a-like at any kind of sensible price. You can buy all manner of Marshall a-like for sub £500 but there's bugger all classic-Fender wise. 
  • I had been looking a 68 Custom Princeton for home use but now the Vibro Champ has my attention. What do you guys think would be a better choice?
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30912
    Can get a Blackface original for the same price as the VC

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• BabonesBabones Frets: 1206
    I wish they would release a silverface bassman head. Maybe even a MV version too.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12354
    edited January 2021
    A vibro champ with spring reverb would be the holy grail, but not at that price.  You could get an original silverface princeton for that.