Any plumbers in? I got another question!

What's Hot
skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
edited January 2021 in Off Topic

Under the sink, hot water pipe. 

I think the leak is coming from where that silver braided hose goes into the nut. 

I dunno what the brown shit on the top of the nut is? 

I can wiggle the silver hose/pipe.. don’t have a spanner big enough to tighten the nut it feeds into. No idea if tightening that nut would fix it anyway?

No local stop cock for the hot there, only cold.. annoying. 

If you zoom in to where the blue arrow points you can see the water. Its pretty steady pissing out like a motherfucker.

Any ideas? Soonest a plumber can come is Monday. 
The only easy day, was yesterday...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• PhilW1PhilW1 Frets: 942
    Isn’t that an isolater valve you can just make out behind the front pipe?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • PerdixPerdix Frets: 136
    The silver fitting on the horizontal pipe is an isolation valve. Use a flat bladed screwdriver to turn the screw head in the middle of it a 1/4 turn, so that the slot is at 90° to the pipe. 
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    Hold up. I’ll report back!
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12365
    PhilW1 said:
    Isn’t that an isolater valve you can just make out behind the front pipe?
    Certainly looks like it. Turn the screw with a coin so it ends up pointing across the fitting and that’ll shut the water off. The flexi hose bit looks knackered, should be easy enough to replace though once you’ve turned off the water. 
  • pumkinpumkin Frets: 136
    edited January 2021
    Looks like there are is an isolation valve on that pipe .... the silver thing with the screwdriver slot ... turn that quarter of a turn with a flat head screwdriver to isolate.... some iso valves only turn one way but that one looks like the type you can turn either direction ... turn so the slot is upright .... 
    that braided hose needs replacing ... 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PerdixPerdix Frets: 136
    The leaking pipe is a 1/2" X 15mm flexi. These are used to connect taps to your pipework. It looks from the angle it comes off the nut that it may be s bit too short and has been forced to fit. They come in various lengths make sure any replaced is a bit longer.
    Cheers all! Yup got a screwdriver in and turned it, seemed to go lefty loosey but I didnt try much turning it clockwise. 

Bloody love this forum! 

As you can tell, I know naff all about plumbing. 

Least that sorts it for tonight :)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2021
    Righto so turned the isolator valve and stopped the leak from the hot flexi hose joint. 

But theres water all over places under there over the far right side that cannot be from the flexi joint leak. Baffled as to where this other leak came from but I cant visibly see anything. 

Anyway I showed me dad what I’d done and we discussed the other water found. He mentioned the green pipe was wet earlier. 

I asked him if he knew what the green pipe was. 
    He said he thinks its the boiler condenser waste pipe? (Wtf even is that lol).

So I said hold on.. 

The red arrow shows the hot water pipe which is connected directly via the flexi hose to the tap. 

The blue arrow shows the cold water pipe which is also connected directly via a flexi hose to the tap. 

The green pipe is connected to the cold water pipe.. so what purpose does that serve?! It would just take normal cold drinking water away surely? 

If its a condenser waste pipe.. but connected to the cold water pipe just before it connects to the tap, then I can’t get my head around what its removing except normal cold water?

Unless the boiler condenser waste is dumped into the normal cold water pipe then somehow filtered at the junction where the Green pipe connects? Surely not. It cant filter anything. 

So if the cold water pipe has waste boiler water mixed in to it then ew. That shit will come out the tap? And the green pipe still serves no purpose because it would just take the mixed water away and let the rest up to the tap. 

But negating all of that. If it was serving any purpose surely water would be draining out of it 24/7 anyway as the cold water pipe is full of water at that section always? 

It leads off to.. somewhere.. 

There is nothing that way except a tumble drier which is not plumbed in anyway. So I presume it goes somewhere behind the cabinets and out the wall to drain somewhere.. but wtf is it draining and when? 
    Right, I’m an idiot. I’ve figured it out. 

Its obviously the feed to the outside tap which is located off to where it leads LMAO. 

Only took me 2 hours of head scratching.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Strat_a_tat_tatStrat_a_tat_tat Frets: 2761
    edited January 2021
    I'm not a plumber... but, to me, the green pipe looks like the sort of hose used to feed freshwater into a washing machine or dishwasher.  To me,the white and grey pipes look like waste pipes.

Edit:  Ah, @skunkwerx I see we were typing at the same time!  
    I'm not a plumber... but, to me, the green pipe looks like the sort of hose used to feed freshwater into a washing machine or dishwasher.  To me,the white and grey pipes look like waste pipes.

Edit:  Ah, @skunkwerx I see we were typing at the same time!  
    Haha indeed we were! 

So funny I’ve been thinking about this pipe for ages lol. 

• spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    So....what was leaking ?

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12365
    edited January 2021
    When you replace the hot flexi hose wrap some ptfe tape (aka plumbers tape) round the threads on the fitting and the tap first. Wind the tape around clockwise.....it does make a difference, honest! If you put it on the wrong way it tends to get pushed out of the joint rather than staying in place. 

Also make sure that any rubber washers that come with the flexi go in place before you do the nuts up, or you’ll get leaks. 
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5629
    That Flexi hose joint that's leaking looks too long to me.  They're handy but if they're too long it forces the hose to one side as it leaves the nut/joint, as the excess hose tends to run off at weird angles as does yours is in the photo.  

They don't like being bent over like that and will eventually start leaking.

If you can force the hose into a more vertical position, perhaps using that horizontal slat to anchor it, it might slow the leak but if it's started already you'll probably need a replacement.

As and when you do replace it, try to keep the crimped part of the Flexi-hose vertical as it leaves the nut, if it's left to lean over like that it will leak again eventually.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

spark240 said:
    So....what was leaking ?
    Gawd knows, other than the flexi hose which I could see. 

boogieman said:
    When you replace the hot flexi hose wrap some ptfe tape (aka plumbers tape) round the threads on the fitting and the tap first. Wind the tape around clockwise.....it does make a difference, honest! If you put it on the wrong way it tends to get pushed out of the joint rather than staying in place. 

Also make sure that any rubber washers that come with the flexi go in place before you do the nuts up, or you’ll get leaks. 
    Haych said:
    That Flexi hose joint that's leaking looks too long to me.  They're handy but if they're too long it forces the hose to one side as it leaves the nut/joint, as the excess hose tends to run off at weird angles as does yours is in the photo.  

They don't like being bent over like that and will eventually start leaking.

If you can force the hose into a more vertical position, perhaps using that horizontal slat to anchor it, it might slow the leak but if it's started already you'll probably need a replacement.

As and when you do replace it, try to keep the crimped part of the Flexi-hose vertical as it leaves the nut, if it's left to lean over like that it will leak again eventually.
    Cheers guys. Do you know if that nut section on the pipe is all thats required to hold/connect the flexi hose? 

Just thinking I could give replacing it a bash myself if it doesnt require soldering anything or basically anything other than some nuts lol. 
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5629
    The nut is part of the flexi-hose. 

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

Haych said:
    The nut is part of the flexi-hose. 
    Got ya. I’ll have it off later and no doubt see exactly what I need to too :) 

thanks man
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2438
    Both the green flex and the braided pipe look like they have been leaking.
    The braided pipe relies on a rubber washer at the end to seal it, it shouldn't be angled coming out like that, it should be square.
    I would isolate that pipe with the valve (those valves only turn 90 or 180 degrees so don't try to force them past that), loosen the large silver nut and replace the rubber washer, and put it back on with some PTFE tape along the threads, making sure the braided pipe comes out square rather than at an angle.

The green pipe will be a washing machine or dishwasher pipe.
    Unfortunately the plastic gets brittle over time and tightening it can break it, you'd be better off getting a whole new hose and fitting that.
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    Make sure you get 2 spanners or grips on that, you don't want the bottom nuts to start spinning, ..

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    spark240 said:
    Make sure you get 2 spanners or grips on that, you don't want the bottom nuts to start spinning, ..
    As in clamp the bronze ones in place while I undo the silver flexi one? 

If the bronze ones do spin would it just be a case of tightening back up dya think or would something get broke lol