Any plumbers in? I got another question!

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    I should add, almost all of this plumbing is less than 2 years old. 

The tap and flexi hoses and isolation valves are about 5 months old. 

The bloke fitted a new tap and redid most of the copper pipes you can see including the connections and flexi. 

But its a case of the fella aint returning me dads calls so not much point chasing him
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • You'll not need PTFE tape around the nuts for the flexis.  They seal with a rubber washer on the face of the two flanges, PTFE won't do harm, but it'll offer no benefit and make it trickier to fit.
  • ronnybronnyb Frets: 1747
    You'll not need PTFE tape around the nuts for the flexis.  They seal with a rubber washer on the face of the two flanges, PTFE won't do harm, but it'll offer no benefit and make it trickier to fit.
    Dont want to sound clever but some of those brass joints have quite sharp faces where the rubber washer fits onto and they can cut into the rubber causing a leak. I suspect this may have been the cause here. You can get them with a flat contact face which eliminates the problem.
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    Hmm. Well I got the tap off. 

I dont know much about this obvs. I was hoping to just buy a replacement flexi hose and screw it on each end. 

So this is the end that is leaking, and I think it screws straight on to a compression adaptor thats already on the pipe. 

The other end that screws into the tap is like small.. lol. Used a 10mm spanner to get them loose. 

The only flexi tap connectors I can find on screwfix or B&Q are either big 15mm nuts on each end, so obviously not what I need, or these ones: 

So those above have the right Tap end connector but they seem to have in built compression nuts at the other end to screw straight onto a pipe? So I guess I’d have to take off the adaptors currently on the pipe then just fit the above adaptors directly?

I have seen exact replacements for the ones I’ve got but theyre on amazon and ideally need them Sat morn.
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12389
    You could cut the existing fitting off completely, just leave the copper pipe and use the flexi pipe with the 15mm compression fitting. 
  • pumkinpumkin Frets: 136
    edited January 2021
    The male thread that goes into the the tap will either be 10 or 12 mm ... possibly 8 ... if you measure the diameter of it then you’ll know ... make sure if you order online the pipe is as long or longer than the one you have .... ideally take the old one  to a local  plumbers merchant but I understand that maybe difficult in present circumstances.... screwfix will have them . Just looking at your original pic you don’t want flexis with a compression fitting on the end .. you need ones with 1/2” female fitting that will go onto the male fitting on your copper hot feed ....
    something like this
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Flexible-Tap-Tails-Length-Stainless/dp/B0746M3VZ1

• spark240spark240 Frets: 2086
    Dude you will need a particular spanner to undo and re do those ands at the tap , it’s usually really tricky to get to unless you take the whole tap out....maybe try cleaning up the existing connections and replacing the washer first?

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview