Anyone Find Saddles Sharp?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    File the bottom of the screws if you really have to.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5019
    edited January 2021
    I have, on occasion, sworn off telecasters because I don't like the way the screws hurt my delicate little fretting hand. I guess shortening the screws would be a less drastic solution.
    The screws hurt your ‘fretting hand’?! :o
    I think you’re holding it wrong!
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8704
    Oh, those screws. You could file down the bottom end of the ones you’ve got until they don’t protrude. If you don't have the tools for this then buy shorter ones.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10206
    Mudcrutch said:
    Mudcrutch said:
    You should try riding a donkey without a saddle for ten days.
    There backbone will give you a whole new definition of sharp.

Why would I ride a Donkey for 10 days? Am I lost in the desert or something?
    It was a lighthearted joke.
    I did 10 days in Wales without a saddle as a kid in the 60s
    @Mudcrutchknow mate. I was responding to your joke with a lighthearted joke lol. It just got lost in the text ;)
    edited January 2021

Sassafras said:
    It's the edge of the saddle, not the screws. :)
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6880
    I’ve seen a guy who does the opposite.. 

Fella must sweat battery acid.

The only easy day, was yesterday...
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18746
    Mudcrutch said:
    Mudcrutch said:
    You should try riding a donkey without a saddle for ten days.
    There backbone will give you a whole new definition of sharp.

Why would I ride a Donkey for 10 days? Am I lost in the desert or something?
    It was a lighthearted joke.
    I did 10 days in Wales without a saddle as a kid in the 60s
    I'm sure there's an off colour joke, struggling to get out there somewhere... 
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8704

Sassafras said:
    It's the edge of the saddle, not the screws. :)
     The saddle blocks on your picture are not as hard edged as some I’ve seen, and much better than tunomatic saddles.

This begins to look more like a technique problem than an engineering one. You could round off the edge of the low E saddle with a file, but you’re still going to hit it with your hand unless you change the way you pick. A lot of my playing has the edge of my picking hand on the saddles, but when I want to hit a chord hard I lift my hand and strike the strings between the pickups
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2021
    Roland said:

Sassafras said:
    It's the edge of the saddle, not the screws.
     The saddle blocks on your picture are not as hard edged as some I’ve seen, and much better than tunomatic saddles.

This begins to look more like a technique problem than an engineering one. You could round off the edge of the low E saddle with a file, but you’re still going to hit it with your hand unless you change the way you pick. A lot of my playing has the edge of my picking hand on the saddles, but when I want to hit a chord hard I lift my hand and strike the strings between the pickups
    The saddle is hard edged and pointed on the corner, my tech commented that it's sharp too. At some point you're gonna brush against the edge or the front of the saddle at some point and if it's sharp, it'll irritate. Once done it'll be fine, like my Suhr. 
  • Kent747Kent747 Frets: 259
    Depends - how far is the next outposf?
  • The last two guitars I bought, a Suhr Pete Thorn and a PRS Tremonti, the edge of the saddle on the low E is razor blade sharp. So when I palm mute the edge of the saddle digs into my palm and irritates the crap out of me. 
    Interesting, I can't say I've ever had that issue on a PRS! I presume this is a trem-equipped Tremonti?
    Yea. Here it is.

The edge and pointed bit of the saddle is sharp, as most of these kind of saddles are. They're not rounded so they should have quite a pointed edge. Have a feel of yours, is it pointed?

It's most likely the way my hand sits on the bridge and as I palm mute and slide about mininally when doing muted syncopated rhythms it catches the edge and it irritates me. I filed the edge of the Suhr down and it's largely perfect now. 
    Not really, but mine were 33 years old and have probably softened a little! Then again, I’ve not noticed that issue with new ones either so I’m concurring with your technique being the culprit more so than there being a fundamental design/manufacturing flaw. 

Lovely looking guitar btw, I do like that charcoalburst finish!
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11654
    Must be a technique thang.  Never bothered me.
    Offset said:
    Must be a technique thang.  Never bothered me.
    Or a sharp saddle. And it will now lol ;)
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4723
    I have, on occasion, sworn at telecasters because I don't like the way the screws hurt my delicate little fretting hand. I guess shortening the screws would be a less drastic solution.

*edit - I do mean picking hand!
    FTFY! 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • JCA2550JCA2550 Frets: 439
    edited January 2021
    Just a thought, is the bridge set up floating, as intended by PRS or do you have it set up, springs tightened so the rear of the bridge is hard up against the body, dive only? If it's the latter the edge of the low E saddle will jut out more.
    JCA2550 said:
    Just a thought, is the bridge set up floating, as intended by PRS or do you have it set up, springs tightened so the rear of the bridge is hard up against the body, dive only? If it's the latter the edge of the low E saddle will jut out more.
    It's floating mate. I know it's a technique thing as I'm playing a lot more shred type stuff, and something changed recently in my playing and now playing further back to mute more effectively, so I'm noticing it on all my guitars, but it is sharp. My mate's a tech and he's rounding the saddle edge for me, and he's filing the screws on another guitar I've got. 

But as others have said it's something I've got to change in my playing. 

• mbembe Frets: 1840
    Kent747 said:
    Depends - how far is the next outposf?
    The next donkey station is 10 miles as the Crow flies.

(mbe trying hard to blend into the thread but we're spies really, passing messages in code.)