Best room to record in

What's Hot
Need to record some podcasts for work, voice only. 

I know it’s hard to do remotely but any pointers as to where the best room might be. 

I live in a modern detached house, wooden floors downstairs which I guess rules them out?

Bedrooms are all similarly furnished so am I better in a bigger or smaller room?

Within the constraints of a normal house what makes an “ideal” room?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10431
    I've done loads of vocals in my house just by hanging a duvet over a door to kill reflections. A wooden floor is not so much a problem as generally the reflections sound ok  .... plasterboard reflections from nearby walls though can sound very ugly. 

Generally the room with the most soft furnishings will be the easiest to tame, using a dynamic mic rather than a condenser will also prevent problems with noise from traffic, dogs, fridge, boiler etc. 

Record a snatch and then heavily compress it and listen ... the compression will exaggerate any shortcomings so you can hear what's wrong and correct it. Once you have corrected it don't use massive amounts of compression in the finished piece, just enough to keep the level consistent.  
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom