The TV Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    Dopesick said:
    Dopesick said:
    Broad City

Has anyone else seen (or even heard) of this? Just been put on Amazon Prime. Two girl pals in their mid 20s bum around in their mid twenties juggling relationships, smoking weed, doing gross shit etc. Yeah, doesn’t sound much on paper, but this is fucking amazing. The show has already come to an end, but five seasons of this were made so that’s me sorted for the next few weeks. 

@Dopesick ;Yeah I just finished and really enjoyed it.

Just watched a bit of the American version of the office. Man that is soooo bad. I actually couldn't turn it off it was like car crash TV!
    Glad you enjoyed Broad City. I’m currently on Season 4 at the moment, in between watching other shows.

Major disagree on The Office though, one of the best shows the US has produced in recent times! Completely different to the UK version which I feel some people may compare it to. Both are awesome though.

I guess I'm in the minority with the office US considering how long it ran but I found it really cringey. Especially the couple (can't remember their names but the young rep and the receptionist) when they're trying to play it straight. I get that it's meant to be cringe but on another level for me.

The more I think about broad city though the more I think it was exceptionaly good. There's a British show called fleabag that has a similar vibe but just doesn't work at all for me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7424
    Have just started "Superstore" on Netflix - very funny 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2596
    Been watching Bosch on Prime.  Fairly conventional police procedural based on Michael Connolly's predictably maverick LAPD detective with a lot of the usual tropes - irascible personality, rule breaker, messy personal life, straight shooter in a nest of vipers, idiosyncratic (loves jazz) etc.

So nothing ground breaking, but very, very handsomely done.  Money's been spent and it shows, great cinematography, generally excellent cast, writing etc.

It's not without it's flaws: too much incident, melodrama and coincidence is packed in, taking its toll on plausibility;  plot lines are overly complex and the jargony dialogue can be cryptic, making it more of an effort to follow than it needs to be.  Also the way in which everybody in the Establishment tends to hate and conspire against the decent guy who's good at his job feels like audience manipulation.

But if you like a well made police procedural and you're not expecting anything ground-breaking like The Wire, this is still very high quality stuff.  8/10
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16296
    Been watching Bosch on Prime.  Fairly conventional police procedural based on Michael Connolly's predictably maverick LAPD detective with a lot of the usual tropes - irascible personality, rule breaker, messy personal life, straight shooter in a nest of vipers, idiosyncratic (loves jazz) etc.

So nothing ground breaking, but very, very handsomely done.  Money's been spent and it shows, great cinematography, generally excellent cast, writing etc.

It's not without it's flaws: too much incident, melodrama and coincidence is packed in, taking its toll on plausibility;  plot lines are overly complex and the jargony dialogue can be cryptic, making it more of an effort to follow than it needs to be.  Also the way in which everybody in the Establishment tends to hate and conspire against the decent guy who's good at his job feels like audience manipulation.

But if you like a well made police procedural and you're not expecting anything ground-breaking like The Wire, this is still very high quality stuff.  8/10
    I liked Bosch but at some point ( start of season 4?) they gave it a make over and I lost interest. But the earlier ones, despite some quite severe issues of plausibility, pretty good. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22908
    I read a lot of the Bosch books and eventually got very bored with them, that's put me off trying the TV series.
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2596
    Interesting. I’m in series 4 and no makeover yet so I’m guessing series 5. Will see.

I’ve only read one of the Bosch books, quite a long time ago and barely remembered. 
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4172
    I’m getting near to the end of my “king of queens” seasons
      Doug drives a delivery truck for IPS  has a cute wife and her crazy father (Jerry stiller ) lives with them . It’s brilliant Doug is overweight and loves to eat and constantly gets into crazy situations trying to avoid doing something he hates etc .
    I read Leah Remini’s ( Carrie) autobiography a while ago. Not all that much about King of Queens other than she had to lead this double life whilst shooting it because of her involvement in Scientology. Playing this sexy funny character and having a nice time on set then going home to a weird intrusive religious life. 
    I think it’s a good show, bit more relatable than a lot of US sitcoms and some funny set ups. 
    Sounds a good read , I think she’s in another series with him where he’s an ex cop with a security business 
  • bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 541
    Just finished watching Ted Lasso on Apple Tv+ . One of the funniest shows I've seen in years. Its just a truly wonderful thing to watch. One of my favorite things is the lack of awkward or embarrassing comedy setups. The writing is superb and you'd be hard pushed to find a sharper or wittier script on on any show. It also has some genuinely touching moments which are handled superbly. I also cant think of a single member of the cast who doesn't bring something to the show. 
    Almost worth the AppleTV+ subscription fee alone!  10/10 Can't wait for Season 2.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24308
    I liked Bosch too.
    Final series is coming soon.
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    The One - Netflix. Written by the same guy who did Misfits among others.
    About a genetic test that finds your perfect match. Interesting so far.
  • AlbertCAlbertC Frets: 932
    The Pursuit of Love on BBC iPlayer

Three part adaptation of Nancy Mitford's novel about odd upper-class family. Period drama/comedy.
    I quite enjoyed this and it had a surprisingly good music soundtrack. Made me want to look up what a lot of the songs were as I didn't recognise many.
    Lilly James certainly seems to have the market cornered for playing posh totty in recent years.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22908
    I've started watching Jupiter's Legacy, a new superhero thing on Netflix. 

It keeps flitting back and forth between the time of the late 1920s stock market crash, when these guys somehow acquired super powers (not yet revealed), and the present day.  There's a slightly soapy element, as there's a new generation who've inherited their parents' powers but have gone off the rails in various sulky-teenager ways.

It's.... OK.  I suspect the budget is fairly low as the FX aren't great and the fight scenes feel a bit Power Rangers.  I fell asleep watching episode three last night, which doesn't bode well.
    AlbertC said:

Three part adaptation of Nancy Mitford's novel about odd upper-class family. Period drama/comedy.
    I quite enjoyed this and it had a surprisingly good music soundtrack. Made me want to look up what a lot of the songs were as I didn't recognise many.
    Lilly James certainly seems to have the market cornered for playing posh totty in recent years.

On the trailer they have Roxy Music and I liked that glam rock over the period ( 1920s?) look thing. Does it continue that idea in the programme or was it just a nicely made trailer? 
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    I’ve been binge-watching “Those Who Kill” on BBC iPlayer. Superb Scandi crime drama, easily the best of the genre I’ve seen this far. Highly recommended.

• AlbertCAlbertC Frets: 932
    AlbertC said:

On the trailer they have Roxy Music and I liked that glam rock over the period ( 1920s?) look thing. Does it continue that idea in the programme or was it just a nicely made trailer? 
    It's a fairly eclectic soundtrack - 
    https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/drama/the-pursuit-of-love-soundtrack-music/
    AlbertC said:
    AlbertC said:

It's a fairly eclectic soundtrack - 
    https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/drama/the-pursuit-of-love-soundtrack-music/
    Yes, that’s pretty eclectic! 
  • MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    Just finished watching Chernobyl. Couple of provisos need to be accepted right from the start:
    • it's a fictional drama based on real events, and should not be taken as 100% objective truth about those events
    • it is not a disinterested scientific account either of the events or of the consequences of Chernobyl (and, by implication, of the wisdom/foolishness of using nuclear sources of energy) based on all the available post-Chernobyl studies
    Once you accept those, you should sit back and enjoy an excellent piece of very high-quality tv drama. There are numerous things to praise about it:
    • excellent soundtrack by Hildur Guðnadóttir - moody, chilling, perfectly suited to the action onscreen
    • terrific performances throughout the cast, especially by Jared Harris as Legasov. The interplay between him and Stellan Skarsgård as Boris Shcherbina was superb
    • outstanding set design, lighting, camerawork, and direction
    • some excellent writing throughout the five episodes. The bitter humour about the realities of life in 1980s Soviet Union is the vehicle for some of the most savagely funny and telling lines.
    Highly recommended.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12375
    Chernobyl has been the best piece of tv drama in recent times. I rarely go back to tv series but I’ve just watched the whole thing again, excellent stuff. 
    I've been watching the last man on earth. 

I think I watched an episode when it was originally on TV and didn't think much of it but I'm getting into it now and it's got a bit more depth than I'd thought. 
    I've been watching the last man on earth. 

I think I watched an episode when it was originally on TV and didn't think much of it but I'm getting into it now and it's got a bit more depth than I'd thought. 

Hold up! Is that the end?!