SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Sold: Brand New Alegree Bridge P90 - 9.5k Alnico V - £25 delivered

What's Hot
SunDevilSunDevil Frets: 511
edited February 2021 in Parts £
Specs
  • P90 Soapbar Bridge (Black) - 50mm spacing
  • 9.5k with Plain Enamel Wire
  • Long screws
  • 27cm Braided Cable

Note that it won't install straight in my guitar (the pickup cants towards the neck, due to the way the cable is soldered to and exits from the baseplate) - pics of that in detail below

According to the seller, the reason the pickup won't install properly is is due to the 'unusual' pickup routing of the guitar and he has refused to accept a return 

The guitar in question is a 2019 Gibson LP Special - pic below of the cavity concerned, so you can ensure this isn't an issue for you if you're buying it

https://i.imgur.com/7p2oouU.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/BPRk4li.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/0ZgF9Tf.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/fEbwQJ1.jpg

The answer was never 42 - it's 1/137 (..ish)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Had to make adjustments to my LP special and an SG for both mojos and an alegree pickup. I don’t think that was the pickup makers fault, just Gibson being Gibson and a natural part of modding any guitar. Bit harsh to call out a fellow member and one of the few businesses left on here because Gibson are Gibson.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • MototechMototech Frets: 102
    I've dealt with Alex quite a few times & he has always been very accommodating. 

PM sent.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14570
    edited February 2021
    I think we have a communication breakdown here.

The OP has purchased a pre-owned pickup from an unnamed source. The first two replies assumed that the pickup had been supplied directly by its maker in the condition illustrated by the photographs.

Unlikely.

Soldering of pickup output cable to ground usually occurs on the inner surface of the baseplate, before the bobbin is screwed on.

I currently own three Alegree pickups. One of them is a pre-production prototype. It could reasonably be forgiven for having a few "handbuilt" fabrication quirks and, yet, it does not.

I am confident that the fugly build up of solder on the OP's P90 would not have been present when it was constructed. On the other hand, this issue is the sort of crap that some of us accept when buying pre-owned gear dirt cheap.

The offending output cable alignment issue could easily be remedied with a hot soldering iron and either a damp sponge pad or a proper solder sucker device.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SunDevilSunDevil Frets: 511
    edited February 2021
    Hi All,

Just to provide additional facts and confirmation for transparency:

The pickup is brand new - wound 2nd Feb, shipped direct to me and received 3rd Feb

The above issues which @Funkfingers has highlighted were flagged to the builder 4th Feb, along with these pictures

I’ve not made any mods to the pickup and it is 100% as supplied 

It's never been installed, as with the cable like this, it won't fit

4 other brands of P90 have fitted just fine without issues in this route

Priced accordingly and hopefully YMMV?!

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
    I'd buy it but I have literally nowhere to use it. I'm a big fan of Alegree pickups.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14570
    SunDevil said:
    The above issues which Funkfingers has highlighted were flagged to the builder 4th Feb
    I stand corrected. 

If you wish, I will remove any parts of my previous post that confuse the issue or give offence.

I agree that the solder around the output cable on the underside of the baseplate is both inessential and problematic. My inclination would be to correct the issue myself and mutter under my breath.

axisus said:
    I'd buy it but I have literally nowhere to use it. I'm a big fan of Alegree pickups.
    Likewise, I would happily buy the pickup. It could go in my PRS SE One, freeing up a Seymour Duncan Antiquity that I would not want to let go if/when I ever sell that guitar.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    edited February 2021
    If you wish, I will remove any parts of my previous post that confuse the issue or give offence.

None taken :-)

Just conscious that this is first and foremost a sales thread and I want to be 100% clear and factual on the description
    Bump

The 9.5k wind should (theoretically) sound great

..in fact the excellent Lollar that I dropped into the guitar when this wouldn't fit is also around 9.5k / Alnico V

Pic of the two
    https://i.imgur.com/5aW4vlT.jpg

At low 9'ish K, the Lollar combines great cleans with some proper snort when pushed - Leslie West (GRHS!) would approve

Obviously the Lollar is a very different kettle of fish, but I think I've priced this fairly and I would like to recover at least some of the £66 I've lost on it, if it's of use to someone as is

• I'll have it - Thanks!!