Which Solid Body Guitar after a Tele?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7961
    edited July 2014
    The PRS thing is reverse snobbery.  There are large numbers of rock/metal players using them, it isn't all blues dentists.

Neither of my used PRS cost as much as most people ask for their used LP Standards, and IMHO the PRS are better made and nicer to play than most LP standards I've tried.  If you go for dot inlays the price is usually lower, any dings or a solid colour (or both) and the price will be lower still.  Don't write them off if you're thinking of getting a humbucker guitar again.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FusionistaFusionista Frets: 184
    My rhythm guitarist (who is a doctor :)  ) has a PRS and it has a very good clean tone.  Soft, deep, with excellent note articulation.  Again considering it is a twin hb, mahogany body/maple cap, surprisingly different from an LP.
    "Nobody needs more than 20 strats." Mike Landau
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33802
    GuyBoden said:
    Open your ears and listen to all types of sound.
    Thanks for the advice ;) 
    @GuyBoden - he's being sarcastic, in case you didn't work it out. ;)
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    ROOG said:
    I like the idea of a Yamaha, less brand snobbery just nice instruments, certainly from my experience of their ES 335 'look a like'.
    That's the SA2200 and a fine instrument it is. Doesn't sound much like a 335 (it is somewhat brighter) but it does sound very nice in its own right. It also has coil splits. Its back pickup is one of the most soulful sounds I have ever got out of a guitar. Just a tadge of reverb/delay and a tadge of OD or clean - absolutely superb :D
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    octatonic said:
    GuyBoden said:
    Thanks for the advice ;) 
    Sarcasm,  moi ?  I'm always open to learning from my peers.
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 744
    edited July 2014
    octatonic said:
    GuyBoden said:
    Thanks for the advice ;) 
    Yes, I feel very sorry for people who are deaf, they have such a big disadvantage when trying to play a musical instrument.
    "Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
    Looks like guitars at dawn then. Choose your axe.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33802
    GuyBoden said:
    octatonic said:
    GuyBoden said:
    Thanks for the advice ;) 
    Yes, I feel very sorry for people who are deaf, they have such a big disadvantage when trying to play a musical instrument.
    Did you swallow an entire packet of twat pills today?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2014
    And...back to the programme 

@Phil_aka_Pip you are making me wonder whether I should have given my old Yamaha SA more of a chance.  Just found I kept picking up the 335 in preference.
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    And...back to the programme 

@Phil_aka_Pip you are making me wonder whether I should have given my old Yamaha SA more of a chance.  Just found I kept picking up the 335 in preference.
    I love each equally :)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    edited July 2014
    Looks like guitars at dawn then. Choose your axe.
    No problem
    edited July 2014
    After I sold the Yamaha SA, I bought 2 Washburn HB35's (not at the same time - some years apart) which are very similar (maple necks).  Put Seth Lovers in one and 59's in the other. Compared to the 335 they seem lighter, more melodic , don't have the  nasality and edge you can get - from the mahogany neck ? http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv274/AndyP335/WB/washburnHB35incase.jpg  http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv274/AndyP335/WB/RedHB35incase.jpg
    edited July 2014
    After I sold the Yamaha SA, I bought 2 Washburn HB35's (not at the same time - some years apart) which are very similar (maple necks).  Put Seth Lovers in one and 59's in the other. Compared to the 335 they seem lighter, more melodic , don't have the  nasality and edge you can get - from the mahogany neck ? http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv274/AndyP335/Washburn/RedHB35incase.jpg http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv274/AndyP335/Washburn/washburnHB35incase.jpg ;
    Nice.

GuyBoden said:
    What have you got?
    Too many to list :) Those are nice though. 

Think you misunderstood before - Andy Watson was so determined to get the 'jazz' tone that he lost articulation. He had a serious jazzbox like yours and  playing like a demon but you couldn't hear it- and I'm not that deaf, yet (although the tinnitus is troubling...).
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 557
    edited July 2014
    welshboyo said:
    isn't the whole Dentist/Lawyer/Banker joke getting a bit old now.....:P

PRS (used I'm talking about now) are well within the prices of LP's etc, some of which ain't as blingy as some of the tops you see on LP's but that seems to get ignored somehow...

Anyway...rant over, DGT gets the vote from me, I have Tele's, Strats, LP's, SuperStrats etc, the only one that I could easily play all night and get all the tones of the others as well is the DGT..

Yep you are probably right about this, but it was you lot that put it into my head, before I just knew PRS from their glossy full page adds in the mags and the, IMO gaudy colour schemes. I have no doubt that they are fine guitars. I shall never mention the occupational link ever again.

I believe World Guitars are not too far away from me, I gather they have major PRS stock, I might look em up some time. Still like the Idea of a Yamaha though! :0) 

• marantz1300marantz1300 Frets: 3107