Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

£900 on an amp from Andertons - option paralysis!

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3471
    edited February 2021
    Find a guitar and save for the amp you really want. If you can't find a guitar, buy something that will hold its value on the second hand market and sell it.

I say this because it's exactly what I did when I was in your position earlier this year.

I came out of it with two dream guitars by keeping one of the Anderton's replacements and part-ex'ing the other for a guitar I really wanted that Anderton's didn't stock.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12358
    Peavey Bandit wiv a load of peggles
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AnacharsisAnacharsis Frets: 200
    Voxman said:
    dazzajl said:
    A Vox is tempting, but can the 15 keep up with a drummer? I had a AC30S1, and even though its lighter than an AC30, it was still very heavy.... 
    In a loud band, you’re not going to get the tight clean sound with the AC15 that I imagine when people talk about surf stuff. 
    Agreed, the AC15 breaks up too early, so an AC30 would be the better option. But they are darned heavy. However , although more expensive, a head and cab are more manageable than a combo and the AC30 is available as a head. There is Also a 1x12 AC30 though which is lighter.

The problem with valve amps is that they are heavy beasts, especially if you are looking at a 2x12 format. 

Have you tried something like a Fender Princeton? If not, might be worth trying one out. 
    I went for a Boogie Fillmore 25. Has a kind of hot rodded Princeton thing apparently. 

It arrives tomorrow.

You may really like that. I know people who do. I was going to suggest that if the black/silver face Fender sound didn't do it for you, try a Blues Cube Artist and have credit left over - but then I saw it is out of stock. Good luck with the Boogie!
  • De_BatzDe_Batz Frets: 117
    ICBM said:
    De_Batz said:

Are you a former heartbreaker owner? 

Mine has stood the test of time and is still with me after 21 years! 
    No, never owned one. Played one once and thought it sounded great, but it was impossible to move even compared to my Trem-o-verbs. No end handles... probably the heaviest one-hand lift in the universe.
    I got mine converted to a head in the end. It was a proper challenge to shift...

I also think it sounds great with P10Rs, so had a box made up to match the head, which looks superb!
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11905
    Find a guitar and save for the amp you really want. If you can't find a guitar, buy something that will hold its value on the second hand market and sell it.

I say this because it's exactly what I did when I was in your position earlier this year.

I came out of it with two dream guitars by keeping one of the Anderton's replacements and part-ex'ing the other for a guitar I really wanted that Anderton's didn't stock.

yes, the range of new amps in most shops is pitiful compared to the guitars on offer, even more so when looking for used models in a shop

I wondered if a Blackface Dumble clone might be the thing, like a Ceriatone BM50 (HRM)
    Or for a bit Tweedier, a Low-power Tweed Twin - the Victoria 2x12 combos sell for £1400-£1500, and are amazingly light

• Find a guitar and save for the amp you really want. If you can't find a guitar, buy something that will hold its value on the second hand market and sell it.

yes, the range of new amps in most shops is pitiful compared to the guitars on offer, even more so when looking for used models in a shop

I wondered if a Blackface Dumble clone might be the thing, like a Ceriatone BM50 (HRM)
    Or for a bit Tweedier, a Low-power Tweed Twin - the Victoria 2x12 combos sell for £1400-£1500, and are amazingly light

I ended up stretching my budget to a Boogie Fillmore 25. It is ace!