Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

RIP Melvyn Hiscock

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• I discovered Melvyn's book when I was first getting interested in the guitar in the late 80s.  Had it out of the library more than once and read it cover to cover numerous times.  While I'm unlikely ever to make a guitar from scratch - the closest I've got is putting together a partscaster or two - it taught me so much about guitar design and construction, and coupled with his legendary, off-the-wall humour, it was just a damn good read.

RIP Melvyn.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RIP Melv. I got to know him a little at a blues jam we both frequented at the pub/restaurant on Thruxton airfield, and later the jam at Salisbury Rugby Club. His sense of humour was legendary and I’ll never forget at the Thruxton jam 20 odd years ago there was a new PA supplier who’d stuck a poster on the speaker stand saying “PA performance is sponsored by xyz music”. Melvyn saw that, wrote on a sheet of A4 and stuck it up next to the poster, it said “Melvyn’s performance is sponsored by Prozac.”  :)
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16682
    I know I probably never would have built a guitar without him.. 

I found his book when I was 18.  I had never done any wood work at that point but after constantly reading it for 3 years and trying out a few modding projects along the way,  I finally managed to get a playable guitar from some lumps of wood.

Even though there are various other ways to get the same info, I still think the book is the best single resource for someone starting out on some guitar projects.   My design process still follows the method described in the book.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WezV said:
    I know I probably never would have built a guitar without him.. 

I found his book when I was 18.  I had never done any wood work at that point but after constantly reading it for 3 years and trying out a few modding projects along the way,  I finally managed to get a playable guitar from some lumps of wood.

Even though there are various other ways to get the same info, I still think the book is the best single resource for someone starting out on some guitar projects.   My design process still follows the method described in the book.
    You might be interested to know that Melv’s most legendary build was a completely hollow Les Paul called Doris! 

• WezVWezV Frets: 16682

You might be interested to know that Melv’s most legendary build was a completely hollow Les Paul called Doris! 

yeah, I'm aware of it. We discussed it when I was talking to him about some P-90's.   If I remember right it has a solid bridge block, so mostly hollow rather than completely hollow.

The guitar on the cover of the second edition was also mostly hollow, carved inside and out
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Aw, man.. that sucks! 
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• pruddprudd Frets: 662
    Sad news, I had the pleasure of meeting Melvyn at his home many years ago when I went to buy a Tokai he owned. He was charming, funny and helpful.
    RIP
  • Sad news. I remember finding his book in the library. I eventually bought my own copy and proceeded to build my first guitar. That guitar has evolved over the past 30 years but it’s still getting used and abused.

R.I.P
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8711
    Version three of Melvyn’s book is now available https://www.melvynhiscock.com/
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom