I'm too fat - help !

What's Hot

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10724
    edited July 2014
    georgenadaintl said:
    viz said:
    Thanks! I might start this ... start TODAY it says. Quite useful with the charts and all that. Don't think I'll ever do 40 handclap press-ups in a minute, though.

You will astonish yourself. In 4 months I went from being unable to do 1 pressup to being able to do a minute's worth of hand clap pressups, without really noticing the pain of the journey, until I got a hernia.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3465
    At my peak I did close to 50 regular press-ups in a minute, so maybe I can climb the ladder like you did.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Perhaps. I should point out that a minute's worth of pressups for me was 2 pressups.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    viz said:until I got a hernia.
    that for me would be one very good reason to avoid that kind of exercise
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    viz said:
    Perhaps. I should point out that a minute's worth of pressups for me was 2 pressups.

Better than me then

:-O

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4046
    edited July 2014
    Emp_Fab said:

In short, I'm out of control. 

How would it be if... you were in control?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3465
    Lots of standup desk here at work (Google). I've been sitting on a yoga ball for the past 3 years or so while at work. Can't claim it burns X calories, but all my lower back pain has gone. You either have good posture or you fall off!
    viz said:until I got a hernia.
    that for me would be one very good reason to avoid that kind of exercise

i didn't get the hernia from the exercise, it was from a particularly aggressive sneeze.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    Drew_fx;301297" said:
    monquixote said:

Drew_fx said:

I really don't understand "foodies". Me? If you gave me a small box that replaced my stomach, and had nanobots that sorted out my nutrition and calorific intake, and all I had to do was ram twigs into my arse... I'd do it. Food is not fun. Food is crap. Food makes us slaves of biology. I want to be a robot. A big huge giant willied guitar playing robot.

Sounds like you would be the kind of person who could get into Soylent. http://www.soylent.me/

PEEEEEOOOPPPLEEEE!!
    Anyone else disappointed that it wasn't green? Bah!!

:(
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    It's all down to cutting out carbohydrate. Especially short chain ones. Get a bike and use it as daily transport.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33846
    Emp has been strangely quiet on this topic.
    How did you do today?
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2379
    I lost 3.5 st a couple of years back, the effort now is maintaining it. 

For me, it simply boiled down to eating less calories a day, I tried the whole gym thing, but until I stopped having too many calories, it made absolutely no difference.

Review your current intake, I never gave it a moments thought until I got serious about trying to shift the beer gut, for example; I was having one or two frothy coffees a day, 200 calories each! It meant that any gym work I did approximately covered off those, so even if I just ate the male average intake of 2200 cals and had those coffees, I was losing nothing, complete waste of time and completely demotivating. You'll be surprised how many calories some things contain.

Myfitnesspal is a good shout, try and plan your day out meal wise, plan your food shopping so you have something tasty, but not too calorific to eat each night (otherwise, your stomach takes over and you just eat something tasty, but fatty, well I do anyway :D ). With the greatest respect, if you're already overweight, it's likely you're overeating, so try to aim for 2200 calories to day to start with, you'll lose weight if you keep it up, once the weight loss stops, then reduce further, don't go too drastic, maybe 1800, then the weight loss will start again.

At the moment, to try and shift a touch more / maintain should I eat something for pleasure, rather than sustenance, I've started having a home made juice for breakfast, tastes amazing (1x Orange, 1x Beetroot and 2x small apples) and I actually feel better for it! Also, it's only 130-160 calories :) - Whatever 'diet' you chose, you need to understand it's a lifestyle choice, not just something to do to stop the doctor nagging you, if you do it for a bit and lose some weight, but you can't sustain a lifestyle with a mental diet, you'll pile the pounds back on quickly.
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2171
    I've been struggling with my weight for the last few years. Around 2008 I was about 14 stone (6ft so that's about right for me). I was much more active, used to do Kung Fu and cycled to work etc.

Ever since then I've been up and down. I was around 15st for the most part of it. But when I quit smoking years ago the weight continued to rise. I got up to 16.10.
    I have friends who are a similar height to me and lardier than I am, I didnt want to end up like them.

For me personally, I feel you have to swallow some home truths. The moment has to be right for "you" before you make changes etc. IE you have to be in the best headspace. I was stressed out financially etc that's why I failed time and time again.

I don't refer to it as a diet, because it has to be a lifestyle change. Sounds cheesy but you have to address how you ended up in that situation. I have a voracious appetite and I grew up surrounded by chocolate (my father worked at Cadburys) so we always had chocolate in the house.

I'm losing weight at the moment, down to about 15.6st at the moment. I've lost about 1.5st since I started a few months ago. I rely on myfitnesspal to guide me. But you know in your heart of hearts what's good and bad food.

My personal tips though. 

• the weight didn't pile on instantly, it's not going to fall off in a week. 
    • never deny yourself food. But make the right choices.
    • I try not to eat after 4pm
    • eat breakfast
    • have one off day. Not a full blown pig out, I'm on about a chocolate bar or a few slices of pizza (not a full blown pizza).
    • Look for healthier choices of junk food. I love pizza, but that's one of the worst things to eat diet wise. So if I crave it, i go for cheese on toast.
    • My own personal mantra "losing weight is easy, it's getting past your own bullshit. That's the hard part".
    • Find an exercise you enjoy, I love cycling. But loathe jogging.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6908
    I can't be arsed to read all three pages of this.

But I wondered if amongst all the no doubt very good advice anyone had suggested indoor rowing?

Low impact but an excellent all over workout. The industry standard is a concept 2 machine that go for. £500 ish used for a later decent model and are about £1k new.

They are very interactive, you can even race online and there are loads of plans freely available to target specific goals. You obvious it can start off at your own pace etc.

Combined with a change in food consumption you will get results.

Previously known as stevebrum
  • thisisguitarthisisguitar Frets: 1073
    I had a fitness binge about 4-5 years ago and dropped from 10st 6lbs to 9st 2lbs. Took about 4 months of dedication, but I found it's about decisions and motivation. You aren't going to get healthier unless you *really* want to. I did it for the wrongs reasons, but they worked for me at the time, I was completely focused on getting in shape. Personally I started running 3-4 times a week and doing a workout at home with no weights at all. What started as 0.44 mile cross country in 3m40s (and utterly dying!), became 3.08 miles in 22m10s (7 times further, and generally had more in the tank, but used to sprint as hard as I could to finish).. 

I used numbers as a prime motivator, from crunches to calories. I'd say I became obsessive, but it worked. 

These days I find it's what I keep in the fridge that affects me most. Keep beer and you'll drink it. Keep fresh tasty stuff that takes no effort to make (and I mean zero! and preferably from M&S :-) ) and you won't get takeaway because there's nothing to eat.

Your situation, in my opinion, is something you have no choice but to take action on. If I knew you personally I'd have a far harsher way of putting thing! However I'll sign off by wishing you luck if you decide to try and change things for yourself mate.
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    had to run for a bus today.. 
    I've never been into running.. always hated it..
    but.. I really surprised myself today.. far quicker than I ever remember myself being..  like.. by a shit lot..
    and I wasn't totally fkd after either..

what a difference not lugging an extra 5st around makes..
    play every note as if it were your first
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    octatonic said:
    Emp has been strangely quiet on this topic.
    How did you do today?
    Will you be quiet, he's trying to eat his breakfast!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24442
    Sorry, they're working me to death.  I didn't get back to the hotel until half-seven and then went straight out for dinner.  I had three pints of the local ale and scampi & chips.

Reading that now, it was probably not the least-calorific evening.

Last night I had about four pints and a spag-bol.

I was better behaved at breakfast, one of the managers who is out here too has lost loads of weight with Slimming World and he said it was fine to eat bacon, eggs, beans and tomatoes, as long as I trim the fat off.  So I did...  nom !  I'm trying to avoid bread (but lunch is a pain as I can only seem to buy sandwiches for lunch) and wheat-based stuff.

Right now, he's down in the pool swimming a billion lengths before breakfast, but I'm a bit wary of doing that first thing.  Most heart attacks occur early in the morning and I'm chronically unfit and I don't fancy risking it.  I was so out of breath climbing the stairs just two floors last night, I could barely speak.  I'm definitely aiming to go on the treadmill this evening though.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8757
    johnnyurq said:
    Drew_fx said:
    Sounds like you would be the kind of person who could get into Soylent. http://www.soylent.me/
    Anyone else disappointed that it wasn't green?
    Yep
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.